• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How Important is Reading to You?

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Meh I'm not one for reading, I'm quite inpatient and I'm just not that type of person to sit down and read. I like more practical ways of admiring art of any kind, more hands on. Though I'm not the type to read a book, I will read sometimes, just not my preference. I would much rather see something visually or watch a documentary/news report for some factual information.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Meh I'm not one for reading, I'm quite inpatient and I'm just not that type of person to sit down and read. I like more practical ways of admiring art of any kind, more hands on. Though I'm not the type to read a book, I will read sometimes, just not my preference. I would much rather see something visually or watch a documentary/news report for some factual information.

That is very interesting. Have you always been impatient since birth or was it a recent thing onset possibly by clowns or another scaring event? I find it that the impatient people who refuse to read actually have a knack for reading, it is just suppressed is all. So give a book many more shots, even if it seems tedious and boring you may find gold at the end of the road. And if you don't, you learned words anyway! :)

Mudora

Innocent but not fearful.
I read quite often because I enjoy it. I value it as a skill and hope to continue improving my reading ability.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I read quite often because I enjoy it. I value it as a skill and hope to continue improving my reading ability.

This is wonderful to hear. Reading always improves the wits, and with a little bit of knowledge perhaps of debating, you will be able to read things that aren't exactly there - which is good for Forensics and other fields. :yes:

Keep up the good work!

Reading is way important, for sure. I'm not very good at it, though, so I don't usually do it any more than I have to.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I love reading. It's one of the few things that can really calm me down when I'm stressed out. Plus, it's good for the brain to read a lot.
I read anything from fiction to non-fiction, but my favourite genre is fantasy. I am a big fan of books like The Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Eragon, etc. I like books that are long and engaging, and they pretty much need to have an escalated reading level.

Clank

Hmm
Very important, as a good education is hard to come by without reading, plus if I didn't read then I would miss out on spending time with a lot of amazing people here, I would add a list, but I would probably offend people that aren't on it...

Raindrop14

Soldier for Christ!
Reading is VERY important to me. Sometimes I can get carried away and send away friends to go read something good, but I can control myself better now. Reading is so important because not only does it teach you (even if its fiction, you can learn meanings to new words and some good english) but you get a great experience you can't get in reality! I can go on the greatest adventures in books, and its a shame some people don't want to have the time of their life. :<

Eduarda

Srishti is annie is eduarda right?
Generally, reading is very important. It's a must have skill in today's world. If you don't know how to read, then you can't really do much. Reading is also very important on a social level. If you have bad spelling or grammar, people may not really take you seriously. You won't get a good job too. Some people may look down upon you. So it's very important to know how to read in today's world.

In terms of reading books, I say it's very important too. Reading books opens you up to the usage of vocabulary. It deepens your vocabulary too. You learn how you express yourself better when you see the words being used in sentences. I had started reading pretty late to be honest. A bit too late. But my parents never stressed on the importance of reading, so I never did. Now I wish I had read books earlier on.

A very good example of what I had said about reading helping you express yourself better is my writing. I'll tell you guys that I had read my first actual novel at grade 6. Really, really late. But after that, I fell in love with reading. Anyways, near that time, I was asked to write a story in school. I still have it now. And when I look at my stories which I write now, I can see a difference between sky and land. After getting into reading, my writing skills has vastly improved. I can write much better now. And I'm sure that reading has done this. Because I find that whenever I write my story while I read a book, I can write so much more better. My writing is much more detailed. And sometimes, I catch myself using phrases that the author uses in the book I am reading at that time. It adds more depth into my stories, and I always prefer to write while I read.

DisappearingMist

Mrs. Caleb
Reading is one of my favorite hobbies...I don't have enough time for it and I have so many books that I want to read. Maybe someday I will have more time to read!

Reading has always played an important part in my life, and not just for school but personal enjoyment.

When I was younger, I traveled to the library with my parents every weekend during the summer. I'd check out ten books and read them all within the week. Before the Internet swallowed a large portion of my time, I would rotate between playing videogames and reading. Every night before falling asleep, I'd read a chapter of two from a fast-paced action filled novel series like Harry Potter or Alex Rider.

As I grew older and school occupied more of my time, I grew disenchanted with reading because I read so much on a daily basis. It was more relaxing to sit on the sofa or watch TV or play videogames, good ways to lay back without worrying about missing the details.

This past month, I've tried to get back into reading. It's a variety of books that contributed to my current vocabulary so neglecting a crucial part of my past would be reckless. Bridging the gap between the academia that negatively altered my perception of reading and the invigorating read I'm used to, I read history novelettes including Sun Tzu's The Art of War and Pete Nelson's Left for Dead, a gripping tale about a boy's quest to exonerate a World War II captain. Thankfully, it's worked because rather than turn to the computer of TV, I've found myself reading more.

Hopefully, more adults turn to frequent reading recognizing it as a richer form of entertainment than virtual reality.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Reading's for nerds.

You can say this but how much of it is true? I'm not even close to a nerd but I still read. :)
And you read as well! You have to or else you wouldn't be able to make this reply! Reading is a universal thing and, as I said, it isn't just picking up written/typed language! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom