• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How Do You Think the Wii U Gamepad Will Be Used in Zelda?

Vanitas Remnant

You've done it, Ventus.
Iowa, or Hell. They're both the same thing.
So, recently I've been thinking about the new Wii U Gamepad, and how it could be used in Zelda games. We all know about the basic "Inventory" usage, but there's definitely more that could be done than just that. I was thinking that, since it's (The Gamepad) a touchscreen, it could be used for the Boomerang item, like PH/ST (Can't remember which), where you could draw a line to control it. Or, using it to make sword combos, like Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance, in which you slid the stylus in different directions to make a diverse combo. The practibility of that is limited I guess, but everything's speculation at the moment.

Thoughts?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Honestly, I hope that the Gamepad touchscreen is limited to inventory usage, as well as functioning as a map that we can scribble on. At this point, in my mind, any "functional use" would be too gimmicky for me to care. Of course, this being a Zelda title which is AAA, the gimmick would be used spectacularly, but...I don't know, I just want a traditional Zelda after the drought that was Skyward Sword.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I think the GamePad should have the right analog stick used to emulate the Wii MotionPlus controls for those that don't want to/can't use the real MotionPlus (both control styles should be an option). The Spin Attack could be executed by shaking the GamePad in the desired direction, the Shield Bash/Attack could be executed by thrusting the GamePad forward, and the Ending/Fatal Blow could be executed by quickly moving it down while targeting a grounded enemy. If the Beetle were to return, it could be used by aiming the GamePad at the screen and tilting it, much like the Slingshot and Bow in OoT 3D (this would apply to the Bow as well, and I guess the Slingshot if it returned). The Inventory Screen could be directly on the GamePad and used in real-time, and the map could be used interactively. It could also be used for a co-op function, both with someone using the Wii MotionPlus or the GamePad. I guess some items could also be used in-tandem with the GamePad somehow if the Wii MotionPlus were to be used. Of course, the controls could also be translated onto the Wii U Pro Controller for those that don't want to use motion at all. There's a whole lot that Nintendo can do with the GamePad. These are just the things I can think of off the top of my head. Whatever the case, the multiple control schemes better be used. It would be utterly stupid on Nintendo's part to not appeal to a much broader spectrum of players. More appeal means more money, and that's the ultimate goal of a business.

Ah, another Wii U related "What might happen" topic.

I'm hoping it will be like Ocarina of Time 3D, in that the bottom is for inventory, map and list of songs.

There's a good chance if they do this than they won't go with the motion controls, which would upset me because I loved Skyward Sword despite some people not liking it.

The gamepad isn't going to do much for Zelda or any game, we have to remember that such amazing things that could be done with it, can't be done. the U in WiiU Stands for 'you' (funnily enough) and nintendo were very quick to let it be known that you can play the gorgeous HD games on your big TV on the gamepad itself when a family members comes in and commandeers the TV...

A lot of people are forgetting that the game pad can do that. A lot of people are basically thinking 'two screens on a home console yay, and one of them does things!' But no, because when you lose the 'hub' screen, in this case the main screen of the tv, all of those wonderful little things that gamepad was doing will be forced to disappear to allow you to play the game that used to on the tv... this will re-create the subscreen button-press-to-view, and probably a once again cluttered main screen with maps, jhearts, magic, items, rupees etc etc.

If while operating the two screens, the TV and the gamepad and we're shaking and moving the gamepad around for Link to do some amazing things then how would that work when we have to keep the screen still so we can see the darn thing?

This is the primary feature of the gamepad- to transfer the main screen on to it. It may make things easier having two screens but once a screen is taken from you, the capabilities of the gamepad are probably gonna get halved or even more than that.

So, its a bit pointless to think and wish for all the magical things it could do, because it isn't going to be able to do them all the time if it did.

Spirit i think you are focusing too much on one aspect of the pad, that it can be used as a screen. This is Nintendo, they arent going to make a pad just for a screen and they have already shown its use for batman.

The use of the gamepad as a screen will most likely be an option for games that dont use the screen much or they may change how the game works when using the gamepad screen.

[video=youtube;TRr6JG15RK4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRr6JG15RK4[/video]

Last edited:
Spirit i think you are focusing too much on one aspect of the pad, that it can be used as a screen. This is Nintendo, they arent going to make a pad just for a screen and they have already shown its use for batman.

i know it'll be more than that but still, the aspect i mentioned will have an impact on it, the WiiU is just a glorified DS after all. I'm looking forward to it but like Skyward Sword i'm not excited.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
The gamepad isn't going to do much for Zelda or any game, we have to remember that such amazing things that could be done with it, can't be done. the U in WiiU Stands for 'you' (funnily enough) and nintendo were very quick to let it be known that you can play the gorgeous HD games on your big TV on the gamepad itself when a family members comes in and commandeers the TV...

A lot of people are forgetting that the game pad can do that. A lot of people are basically thinking 'two screens on a home console yay, and one of them does things!' But no, because when you lose the 'hub' screen, in this case the main screen of the tv, all of those wonderful little things that gamepad was doing will be forced to disappear to allow you to play the game that used to on the tv... this will re-create the subscreen button-press-to-view, and probably a once again cluttered main screen with maps, jhearts, magic, items, rupees etc etc.

If while operating the two screens, the TV and the gamepad and we're shaking and moving the gamepad around for Link to do some amazing things then how would that work when we have to keep the screen still so we can see the darn thing?

This is the primary feature of the gamepad- to transfer the main screen on to it. It may make things easier having two screens but once a screen is taken from you, the capabilities of the gamepad are probably gonna get halved or even more than that.

So, its a bit pointless to think and wish for all the magical things it could do, because it isn't going to be able to do them all the time if it did.

I'm confused as to what you're even talking about. This isn't accurately describing what we've seen from the Wii U at all. Mind explaining so I'm not left in the dark?

I think I read somewhere that they will continue with motion controls for a while.... If not, I hope they use it as with the tech demo. With map and other stuff. And those special things with ZombiU. And as instruments, I hope. Makes so more proffesional when you can touch thing. Maybe an instrument a ukulele or Mandolin??

TF/HH

TwilightFlame/HylianHero
Probably for inventory usage, so you can just tap instead of having to pull up a menu. I know this could have a problem if you're looking to change items in combat, though, since you'd be able to get hit by enemies while you're paused.

I think the gamepad will also be used when firing arrows or using the slingshot, by holding it up to the screen and like pressing a button or something.

You should of course also be able to pull up a map and zoom in and out and stuff. Just a thought.

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
I think the GamePad should have the right analog stick used to emulate the Wii MotionPlus controls for those that don't want to/can't use the real MotionPlus (both control styles should be an option). The Spin Attack could be executed by shaking the GamePad in the desired direction, the Shield Bash/Attack could be executed by thrusting the GamePad forward, and the Ending/Fatal Blow could be executed by quickly moving it down while targeting a grounded enemy. If the Beetle were to return, it could be used by aiming the GamePad at the screen and tilting it, much like the Slingshot and Bow in OoT 3D (this would apply to the Bow as well, and I guess the Slingshot if it returned). The Inventory Screen could be directly on the GamePad and used in real-time, and the map could be used interactively. It could also be used for a co-op function, both with someone using the Wii MotionPlus or the GamePad. I guess some items could also be used in-tandem with the GamePad somehow if the Wii MotionPlus were to be used. Of course, the controls could also be translated onto the Wii U Pro Controller for those that don't want to use motion at all. There's a whole lot that Nintendo can do with the GamePad. These are just the things I can think of off the top of my head. Whatever the case, the multiple control schemes better be used. It would be utterly stupid on Nintendo's part to not appeal to a much broader spectrum of players. More appeal means more money, and that's the ultimate goal of a business.

Lets thrust this 150 dollar controller around.... that sounds like a great design concept

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I'm confused as to what you're even talking about. This isn't accurately describing what we've seen from the Wii U at all. Mind explaining so I'm not left in the dark?

Erm...I'm not Spirit but this is pretty accurate. When using two screens, the Wii U gamepad can do all this amazing stuff, no? But, what if the game on the big screen is transferred to the Gamepad? Gamepad can't do all of what it previously could, since it doesn't have two screens to work with. Asking for all of this stuff, motion controls and all that jazz, it probably won't work for those who don't have 24/7 or a good portion of time dedicated to their big screen TV.

I myself would horribly hate a motion control approximation, I'd much rather camera control instead for the right stick.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Erm...I'm not Spirit but this is pretty accurate. When using two screens, the Wii U gamepad can do all this amazing stuff, no? But, what if the game on the big screen is transferred to the Gamepad? Gamepad can't do all of what it previously could, since it doesn't have two screens to work with. Asking for all of this stuff, motion controls and all that jazz, it probably won't work for those who don't have 24/7 or a good portion of time dedicated to their big screen TV.

I myself would horribly hate a motion control approximation, I'd much rather camera control instead for the right stick.

I'm sure there's an option to allow the game to know you're playing directly on the GamePad and that features of interaction with the TV will be adapted in some way. Nintendo wouldn't be stupid enough to ignore something like that.

Lets thrust this 150 dollar controller around.... that sounds like a great design concept

Yes, because I totally said to use the GamePad like the Wii Remote. Oh, wait, no I didn't.

Have you been watching the trailers for the GamePad and ZombiU? It clearly shows off the GamePad's motion controls as quick movements like shaking and for aiming projectiles. Games will be using these features. That's ridiculously clear.

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
the Shield Bash/Attack could be executed by thrusting the GamePad forward

I'm just joking around too, but i seriously hope they don't put an emphasis on motion controls with the tablet, simply cause you heard of all the broken tv's the wii caused.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom