• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How do you sketch?

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
With Linktober currently ongoing I'm doing a lot of sketches of prompts for days in advance. Although I'm using my tablet, I am still finding my sketch style on paper is translating to the tablet too. I tend to think of my sketch style as kind of messy, and I make my lines darker than they probably need to be.

Meanwhile on the Linktober Discord server I'm seeing some artists with sketch styles that feel less messy in comparison. Some sketch similar to me or make even darker pencil lines.

There is no right or wrong way to sketch, everyone has to do what works best for them. So what sketch style would you say you use?

In my recliner, on my lap. My sketches used to be a bit more coherent especially in high school but they've gotten more chaotic as I've gotten older. But my sketches and doodles have always been a harmonization of messy lines. The more comfortable I am with the thing I'm drawing the less messy and vague it'll be though.

While I'm jealous of people who are able to have immaculate sketches, I don't really see the point in it because if it's a sketch for a drawing, it's gonna get covered anyway so there's no point in putting effort into it. It's just to help you get a general idea of where stuff should go.

edit: when i draw characters i just draw as i go, from head to toe.

Last edited:

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
Draw, trace, erase, repeat. I start sketching mega lightly, then darken th lines I wanna keep so I can see where to draw after I erase it. Once I erase all of the draft stuff and fat lines I fix them. I hate if my lines are an even thickness and perfectly curved. Needs. Perfection.
Usually when I draw ppl I start with the head and work my way down. Then I do the basic outlines and boom! Completion. Cheering. Then I spend the next several dyas staring at my artwork and silently complimenting myself.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
A few days ago I took out my sketchbook and starting drawing a gesture sketch and realized I am bad at breaking a sketch down to simple shapes like that, or at least the process of starting with drawing a torso and pelvis as boxes doesn't work for me. Usually I just start with the head and work everything else out from that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom