• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How Do You Advance Your Vocabulary?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Part of any language in the world is what we call vocabulary -- the words of the language in question. It doesn't matter what language we're referring to; it could be English, Japanese, or heck even Sanskrit. But, like all things, there are basic sets of vocabulary, and the more robust, advanced sets of vocab.

How do you advance your own vocabulary? Do your efforts tend to stick, or do you find yourself constantly having to refresh yourself? Do you know of any effective ways to increase the vocabulary? Have at it.

I look up definitions of words I'm unfamiliar with in the books I read. When I was younger, I would occasionally open the dictionary and copy down a word from the page I opened to until I compiled 10-20.

When expanding my vocab in foreign languages, I recall the words introduced in my previous textbooks or in my current reading. Seeing as how I speak a foreign language at home as well, I learn more words and expressions by listening to others speak.

I don't personally care about how robust or expansive my vocabulary is. In my personal experience, trying too hard to incorporate these fantastic and crazy words that rarely anybody uses in every day vernacular (<-- perfect example right there) in to your papers -- whether it be a fiction that your writing or a college essay -- deters readers. Basically, unless your an incredible writer, just stick to intermediate language in your writings; if you try too hard, you look like a flat-out try-hard (that's what my English teacher told me lmao).

To actually answer the OP -- my entire vocabulary comes from reading. Whether its from a magazine, newspaper, book, internet, etc. But like I said, an impressive vocabulary is overrated. Just make sure that your grammar is perfect and your writing is simple to follow; best advice I could give.

I read a lot, and as I read I learn words, and if I see a word I can't figure out from the context I look it up. Reading classics really helps you build your vocab, as they use a lot more advanced words than the popular stuff today like Hunger Games/Twilight, which usually have a very small vocabulary.

Kirino

Tatakae
I really don't have any methods to expand my vocabulary, because I don't really need to. I do tend to search up words that I hear if I don't know what they mean out of curiosity, but other than that, I don't. My vocabulary is much more expansive than most people my age anyways. I can't really think of an instance where I would need or even want to expand my vocabulary, but if I did, I would probably just read or browse the dictionary.

Hanyou

didn't build that
Just read.

I grew up with a lot of British writing, so I adapted that style for some time. I've had people separately tell me I write like C.S. Lewis--if that's the case at all (I'm not so conceited to think I'm half as clear, expressive, or eloquent as he), it's because I consumed his books since fifth grade, and could spit out whole lines of dialog on command at one point.

Reading helps you contextualize language and absorb both the vocabulary and syntax. It teaches you how to speak properly. This makes it important to read the right kind of material, of course, and not just journalism (which is often inherently manipulative) or blog posts. Fortunately, my parents kept me away from the newspaper when I was younger, so I could get lost in those silly fairy stories that are now widely considered kitsch and cliche. Those fairy stories prepared me for my career and taught me how to write and speak.

I must concede I'm not an eloquent speaker, but in the right mindset--that is, talking like I am putting words to a page--I can draw from my more extensive writing vocabulary.

I know this thread is specifically about vocabulary and I didn't address that, but for me, it all goes hand-in-hand. I never expanded my vocabulary without also expanding my knowledge of how to use it and how to clarify my language. And of course, I was always one to absorb the overall style of any book or article I read, so my vocabulary is a direct result of my literary interests.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
My lexicon is astronomical, for brevity's sake, with an indefatigable craving for an all-encompassing occupancy of linguistic knowledge.

Or, simply put, I'm always on the lookout for new words... When I was younger, I'd gotten into the habit of looking through a dictionary as a pastime, and reviewed word after word that I didn't know. Over time their definitions became like a second nature to me; I make use of them instinctively, oftentimes without even realizing it. This fascination for words is one reason that my interest was piqued when I came to understand my gift of writing. I love learning new words, what they mean, and how they work in a sentence.

Believe it or not, there's also a downfall to having an overabundant vocabulary. Many times I struggle with using words correctly, because a bunch of unnecessary words drift to the top of my mind and cause me to stumble. My vocabulary is possibly a bit superfluous in some instances, but maintaining it is part of the career that I endeavor toward.

As for foreign languages, I can sometimes recognize the meanings by their root words. The "dead language" of Latin has quite a few examples, interestingly enough; although I admit, much of the English tongue derived from it.

Last edited:

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I read a lot and one of my hobbies is writing (mainly in English, even though it's my second language rather than my first, I simply prefer English to my own). By reading I tend to pick up new words and phrases and get an understanding of them through the context they are used (sometimes I might look it up just to check).

Then through my writing I learn to use the new words and phrases I have picked up. When I write I also make sure it's betaed before I publish it anywhere, that way I'm notified of my most common mistakes and every now and then my beta might suggest new words and phrases that I didn't previously know.

This works pretty well for me, and I've noticed how my vocabulary is expanding with every passing year.

Violet Link

takumi was a mistake and so are the S supports
I would just read a book. Books are great to expand and advance your vocabulary, since you might learn new words from a book. Whether if I find a new word or if I just forgotten the meaning, I would look it up to a dictionary, like all people would do. Oh and once, I pushed and forced myself to read a whole dictionary and to be honest, it was easy.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
When I talk to my friends I learn new words. I don't have a big vocabulary so when one of my friends says a "big word" I immediately open up Google. :P

Igos du Ikana

Maldorok
Well, due to past speech problems I would omit certain words from my vocabulary. Basically if the word started with "r" or had sh/th in it, I wouldn't use it. Thankfully I no longer have the problem.

Linknerd09

Luigi Fan
I like to read the dictionary. I tend to learn new words and I learn some definitions to make my vocabulary understand better. Though, sometimes I just learn new words and my vocabulary is a bit advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom