• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda How Do Others Navigate Dungeons?

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
K, so I'm playing Wind Waker, and I get to the Wind Temple, and a thought occurs to me: how the hell are normal people supposed to get around here? Who the hell built this and how?

So, how are normal people supposed to navigate some of these dungeons? The Goron Mines in Twilight Princess have the magnet walls that can hardly be considered practical, not to mentions there are switches you need a bow to hit. Kind of inconvenient, right? So what the hey?

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Only the Gorons would be in the Mine and they are Lava Resistant. The basis of the Temples is the fact that "normal" people can't get in unless they do what the Hero does. IN the Case of the Wind Temple in WW You require the Skull Hammer and Iron Boots. To get the Skull Hammer you must travel to Forsaken Fortress, a place no one will go to due to rumors of monsters, and defeat a powerful creature that would in general kill anyone else. The Iron Boots can only be gotten on an island that is literal ice and so would quickly kill people to gain access to the island you would need to defeat Cyclos which requires a Bow and a fine eye which may be doable depending on the archer, but if we go on the fact that Bows can't be made (because it's zelda that's why and people can't seem to figure out bows yet can wield swords like nobody's business) Then you would need to complete three trials to gain access to the Tower of the Gods which is in and of itself a trial specifically for the Hero.

Notable temples: Forest temple Requires the Hookshot, yet you may say why can't the kokiri get in. They are literally children and are too short. Any adult who goes into the Lost woods Die.

The Water and Fire Temples are accessible by their respective guardian races, the Gorons and the Zoras it just seems they have bad luck.

The Spirit Temple is inaccessible to all but a few people who have braved the haunted wasteland.

The Earth Temple in WW requires the Power Gauntlets which is hidden on a volcanic isle. So yeaaa

that's kinda the whole point. only a select few can get through those dungeons because you don't want just any mook coming in and stealing your treasure. Link's kinda like the Indianna Jones of Nintendo, he finds interesting and...err...mostly useful goodies to go beat up bad guys.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
The dungeons in Zelda are not really believable areas. By that I mean that they function as a gameplay device but are not fit for the purpose they say they are. For instance, Goron Mines don't even look like a functional mine, everything there looks like it is placed there as a puzzle for Link. This is a problem I have with most areas that claim to serve a function when being obviously unsuitable. I hope Zelda U fixes this problem with dungeons being much more believable, for instance a temple should look like a place of worship. If there is a treasure to find there then it should be in a place that would be inaccessible to normal people, a secret passageway from the temple into a booby trapped dungeon which is obviously designed to keep people out is more believable than a temple which well...isn't a real temple, such as the wind temple.

Last edited:

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
In regards to the WW wind and earth temples, those were explained to have been built before the Great Flood, and entrances were built at the base of the mountains. Why they built one at the peak and everything in the middle, I have no idea. But those dungeons were never really meant for others to travel through.

And a lot of times the dungeons or temples protect some item so that they are not easily obtained. The Goron Mines, Snowpeak Ruins, City in the Sky, and the WW dungeons are the only places that come to mind that aren't designed to keep people away. We do see how Yeto and Yeta live there, and it was supposedly not filled with monsters before they found the Twilight Mirror shard. As was said above, the Gorons are immune to fire and heat so it is possibly not as dangerous for them. It is unlikely they could easily navigate through it though. The City in the Sky is another one I have no explanation for, same for Dragon Roost Cavern. But the Forbidden Woods in WW was explained in the game so, there's that.

The temples were designed to keep people out. The temples protect weapons and items, such as the pictures of the sages in ALBW. Those items aren't meant to be found. They are unrealistic because they were meant to be that way. In my opinion it makes the temples more interesting to explore. I thought walking upside down in the Goron mines in TP was one of the cool features of that dungeon. But this is coming from a Zelda fan who has few if any problems with the games in the series.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
Most dungeons have a big treasure at the end, so that would explain some of them, but for certain games I really do have to wonder. The 3D games usually have good explanations for stuff like Dragon Roost Cavern requiring hookshot (Rito can fly), or Dodongo's Cavern being navigable by the Gorons, but the 2D ones are always iffy. Old ones can easily be explained by a lack of text explaining how things work, but some of ALBW confuses me. Like why would it even be possible to traverse some of these places if they are meant to keep everyone out? But what the hey, it's just a game at the end of the day.

Salem

SICK
The dungeons were designed to be navigated by the one item that's located in it, and there's only one of it and Link tends to be the only one who squires it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom