• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How Did You Use to Play Pokemon when You First Started.

Musicfan

the shadow mage
For me i made a team of all one type for the gym leaders and did little to no grinding. It bit me in the butt each time I played.

Last edited by a moderator:

Celeboy

Collecting Dust
I caught whoever i could and just dumped the lowest levels. I also only gave them attacking moves because I thought status moves were pretty pointless.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
i only used my started pokemon and never caught any pokemon. i just liked Charmander way too much when i was 4

MW7

I piled experience into my starter pokemon, and for a long time the only game I had was Yellow so that meant Pikachu was my highest level pokemon most of the game. I usually would get a Butterfree as well just for the first gym then forget about it, and then I'd buy the Magikarp and grind it into a Gyarados. I also loved Snorlax and Alakazam so they'd usually end up in the team as well. So I usually stuck to a core of 4 or 5 pokemon throughout the whole game: Pikachu, Gyarados, Alakazam, and one or two Snorlaxes (one with physical attacks and one with special attacks). I would throw in some other of my favorite pokemon from time to time as well like Gengar or Dragonite.

I do remember doing tons of grinding though which made the games really easy. I would also do plenty of stupid things like thinking a low level pokemon could beat a much higher level pokemon if it had a type advantage, and I'd focus a lot on offense and no defense at all.

hylianordonlink

The Hero Of Ordon
I would never give status moves,I knew nothing about physical and special moves, I never cared about types until I finally understood it halfway through leafgreen,and when I would grind, I would get bored,put it down for a while,grind again,and continue. I still do that today. Oh and I was so nooby I had a lot of trouble on my first time. Thank goodness I had watched some of the anime before so I knew some of the pokemon and their types.

TriFiERCE

Fury, Spirit, and Will
I didn't train my pokemon a lot, and I preferred attack moves; and I still do! Believe it or not, I beat the leagues easily!

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
What I did when I first started was get my starter, advance to where you can use Poke Balls, then go and capture a flying type and a rock type Pokemon. I would then go to town, level up, and progress. My dear Pokemon were all underleveled and taking a serious beating from almost every Gym Leader! :xd:

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Whoow I just started my first Pokemon game ever. I caught like 4 pokemon already and want to fill the pokedex. I train and battle a lot already. I talk to every single person I can find to learn more :D

Mudora

Innocent but not fearful.
When I first started playing Pokemon with my brother, we used to look in Pokemon Handbooks to pick out the team we wanted. Once we caught them, we would train and train until they were all at least at level 65. I wasn't easily defeated after that point. :P

univpark

Heart of Steel
The first time I played Pokemon...? Well, thinking back, I was really ignorant...I didn't know ANYTHING. I would teach my Pokemon all power moves and I didn't even know the names... -___-

Dan

I would often go for charmander, and always learn moves that dealt damage as I thought status effecting moves weren't worth it at the time. I would also always use legendaries though I try not to now, since I realised how much easier they make the game. Oh and when I was young when I hated someone I knew in school or something, the rivals name would be the name of that hates person. :P

I think for the most part I still play the game the same way I did back in the day. I always went for different pokemon each play through to keep things fun, although I did love catching nidaran, because of nidoking, that pokemon can learn anything. :D

EeveeChan

Is FINALLY out of school!
My first game was pokemon Sapphire, so when I first started playing pokemon, I just caught all the cute pokemon like Mudkip, Skitty, Poochyena, Sparrow, etc then gave them names a 6 year old girl would give them like "cupcake" or "sweet pea" or "cutie pie". Then I just fed then a lot of random stuff, thinking that was there food. I didnt know the types, so I always threw out mudkip in almost any battle & be completely befuddled (is that a word?) as to how this blue dog with yellow streaks beat my clearly superior mudkip. I also thought that any move that didnt attack was useless, so I never knew how to inflict status problems or raise stats or anything. I didnt even know that the pokemon had genders! I thought when you gave them a name, it would be their gender. Did I mension I never finished the game until I was 8?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom