• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild How about the Dark World?

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
So is Just Cause 2. There really isn't much reason for Zelda U to be hindered by the hardware. I can only imagine that the game hasn't been optimized yet.

Either way, I actually prefer this artstyle because it ages better than realistic artstyles and gives the game more personality.
The artstyle also makes way for more impressive graphics, when implemented correctly.
I mean, what little they have shown us looks breathtaking
zelda-wii-u-response-1.png

And if they can juxtapose Dark, Evil Areas in this artstyle, it has the potential to become nightmare fuel. Dark colors that are still potent would make everything feel so different, and way more scary than a realistic artstyle if it is done correctly(unlike Skyward Sword).

Do understand, I'm not saying that the size of the world will be an issue, or that the technological limitations are the reason for the art style. The art style for the game looks great honestly, it strikes the same compromise between styles that Skyward Sword did, but it looks more open to darker settings than Skyward Sword's was. I get the feeling Zelda U will be a pretty game with it.

But I really do have concerns about frame rate after playing Wind Waker HD. Wind Waker HD was essentially a remaster of a game from 2002 with some modern lighting effects, and it suffered from drastic frame rate drops whenever particle effects or bigger areas like the Forsaken Fortress popped up. I'd be able to forgive that if it was struggling to maintain 60 FPS, but Wind Waker HD runs at 30 FPS - if the Wii U struggles with that, then I have fears for Zelda U as far as frame rate goes. Hopefully things run smoothly, because frame rate issues can really detract from otherwise great experiences.

Do understand, I'm not saying that the size of the world will be an issue, or that the technological limitations are the reason for the art style. The art style for the game looks great honestly, it strikes the same compromise between styles that Skyward Sword did, but it looks more open to darker settings than Skyward Sword's was. I get the feeling Zelda U will be a pretty game with it.

But I really do have concerns about frame rate after playing Wind Waker HD. Wind Waker HD was essentially a remaster of a game from 2002 with some modern lighting effects, and it suffered from drastic frame rate drops whenever particle effects or bigger areas like the Forsaken Fortress popped up. I'd be able to forgive that if it was struggling to maintain 60 FPS, but Wind Waker HD runs at 30 FPS - if the Wii U struggles with that, then I have fears for Zelda U as far as frame rate goes. Hopefully things run smoothly, because frame rate issues can really detract from otherwise great experiences.
Two words and a letter:

Xenoblade Chronicles X.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain

That is because it is optimized, since it still uses the same source code as the GameCube version. The engine, while impressive for the time, still has some glaring flaws that do not get better with hardware. That is what causes the slowdown.
Another example, is of Bethesda's games. You can have the most amped up, powerful PC in the market, but Fallout 3 and Skyrim will still have huge frame drop issues due to the engine.

Regarding Wii U though. I again use Xenoblade Chronicles X. 10 Times bigger than Skyrim, and nearly 0 frame drops throughout the entirety of the game. There is grass that flows in the field, damn impressive particle effects, and its world has no loading screens. At all. This is very similar to Zelda U. The Wii U can handle it so long as the Devs put work into optimizing it. Which they hopefully have since they delayed the game.

VitaTempusN92

Hero of Time! The True Zelda Genius!

I know what you mean when it comes to the digital release version. However, while playing physical release version, I don't have those problems. Try playing the physical version of WW HD. Trust me, it runs much better. :)

I don't think Zelda U will have any framerate drop problems as long as you play the physical copy version either.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Zelda Wii U was already said to be taking up all of the Wii U's power as it was when it was as we saw it at E3 2014. Which is why they had water down the Wii U version so that the game, as a whole can fit on the Wii U upon release for when people play it. So the Wii U version won't have as much extra content as the NX version will. The NX version will be the definitive version as it will look as great as we saw the game from it was first shown at E3 2014 but even better as it will be much more finished and more polished. :)
We're still not even sure if it will be released on the NX. I'll admit that the closer we get to the holiday season this year the more I'll wonder if Zelda Wii U will have a duel release. It all depends on when the NX will be launched. We'll just have to wait for E3 to find out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom