• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Modern Has This Ever Happened to You?

Mangachick14

Nerdy and Proud
So, a couple of days ago I completed Skyward Sword and yesterday I decided I wanted to do another playthrough of Twilight Princess. However, when I started the game and began playing, I found that I totally couldn't get into it. Now, ever since I got TP a good five(ish) years ago, I've always liked it a good amount. But for some odd reason (And keep in mind this is the first time I've tried replaying TP since I first bought SS, which was the day it came out two years ago) I haven't been able to enjoy it like I used to.

Has this ever happened to anyone else? I mean, not necessarily with those two games, but have you ever replayed a Zelda game you thought you liked after playing a newer game (That you enjoyed, of course) and found that you just don't like it as much anymore? (If that makes any sense whatsoever... :S)

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Erm there's a question, are you playing TPWii or TPGC?

But most recently this has happened to me with Spirit Tracks. I played Spirit Tracks, touched Skyward Sword, then tried to return to Spirit Tracks. It simply didn't happen. I also played Skyward Sword and tried to return to Wind Waker and THAT didn't happen, which is a darn shame because TWW is a grand game in many peoples' opinions.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Whoopsie! Probably shoulda included that info. And yeah, I was playing the Wii version.

Oh yes, I can definitely see where you're coming in that regard. Fo rme personally, the greater range of control granted to SS by WM+ technology makes TPWii virtually unplayable. Though I still waggle in SS, I still like waving the sword around almost in real time. TPWii just feels lacking in that regard.

However I can still play TPGC because it's traditional control.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
Yeah the TP controls, being far less refined, are hard for me to get back into after an SS playthrough.

It's a shame, since I personally prefer TP as a game more.

Inb4 JJ attacks me. Or Azure.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
A little bit...that's why when I first buy a new Zelda title, I play it between 5-10 times in a row before going back to the others.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
I must say no. Each game is cool, and I don't see why i can't enjoy them all. Every game is unique, and I play it based on how much I like that particular game. No game in the franchise really should really affect how much I like the others.

Ya it happened for me with The Wind Waker. I tried, but I truly have no want to play that game again. I mean it may have been the most time-consuming Zelda to date if you wanted to complete all sidequests which I did. At the time, I loved the immersion into this new Biblical world, the connections to OoT, and pretty much everything else. I honestly think the WW HD is about ten years too soon for me to even consider purchasing.

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
Sort of, yes. Actually, now that I think about it, most Zelda games I can only play through once, maybe twice if I'm really in the mood, before I end up never touching it again. Most times this is because I feel I have accomplished everything in the game and feel no desire to replay them just to do everything again (but in the case of LA it's because that game actually made me feel bad about beating it, and I don't know if I can go through that torment again...) It's so weird, I have TP and WW but I can't work up the will to play them for more than 10 minutes. There's this nagging in the back of my head that makes me aware that I could be playing better games instead of them.

The only Zelda games I can say I have the desire to play over and over are Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, A Link to the Past, and Skyward Sword. Idunno, they just that that one "factor" that makes me never want to put them down (I don't even know what to call it except "compulsion").

DarkLink17

Well then
This happened to me with The Minish Cap. I played it for a while (to the fifth dungeon or so), and then just stopped for some reason. Then I started playing LA, and after beating that, I tried to go back to MC. I loved the game before, but after LA I never really got into it again. I guess I got so used to the graphics and controls of the older handheld titles.

ProtagonistJake

Shepard
A little bit... kinda. It's different for me, but also similar.

I used to play games the first time and always think they were great ("used to" as in I seem to have outgrown it or something, cause I don't anymore), with the biggest example coming to mind being SS and Bioshock Infinite, then I play it again and I start to notice all those annoying flaws and I look back at myself saying "What were you thinking?" and all that.
As for something more relative to what you went through, that happened me for a bit, but it was because I wanted to play SS again after my first time playing it, which is REALLY different from the other Zeldas, so if you like it, you end up liking it for many reasons that are not usually why you like most Zelda games.

So you might be like me where, it wasn't because you don't like the older games as much, but you just are in the "SS mood" as it were, like I was.
I freaking hate that game now, so who knows.

EDIT: Could also be the "first time playthrough of a new game" syndrome. Where you start playing the newest one the most purely because it's the newest. Happened to my friend with Halo 4, even though he hated it as much as I did.

Last edited:

BoxTar

i got bored and posted something
That happened to me with a few Zelda games, but not all.

I played Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks the first time and had absolutely no problems with either of them. Then I played ALttP, then went back and went "Wow, the control, design, and story of these games is absolutely appalling". But I don't feel that whenever I revisit MM or OoT, there's always some kind of joy there. Whether its nostalgia or not, I don't really care, because I get absolute chills at times when playing wither of those games (its why I love playing OoT 3D recently, seeing all my favorite dungeons with new graphics? Dream come true! ;))

I've also never had that problem with WW or TP. I find they both have good and bad points alike. Going back to them after a long time is always fun, just like any game I play, like Metroid Prime or Pikmin. Give it time and they will be fun again. At least, for me anyway. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom