• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Gossip Stone: What control style is best for a Zelda game?

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
Hey there guys, this is a question that is dear too me. Not to mention its actually a good discussion. I know a lot of people here think differently on this. Maybe we can finally have an intelligent conversation about this. Any ways for the sake of tradition; here is what Jon Lett thinks about it.

What control style is best for a Zelda game? By Jon Lett

t has been made quite clear that the newest upcoming Zelda title will be using the Wii U Gamepad as it’s primary control system, possibly with the option of a pro controller, and maybe even a Gamecube controller setting. This is interesting, because it really was not all that long ago that Miyamoto was telling the world that Skyward Sword‘s motion controls were the new go-to style of controls in the series. Was this a good decision? There are a few options for control styles, but Wwat do you thing is the best for Zelda?

When Skyward Sword came out and I started playing, I was very pleased with the finally realized ability to truly take full control of Link’s sword. I don’t care what anyone said, the 1:1 controls were very fluid and responsive, and since loads of people used them just fine, it must have worked. We were properly able to see that the Wii Remote Plus functioned wonderfully for Link’s newest adventure. That being said, there is certainly good reason for people to want the old controls back. While the many gimmicks and entertaining functionality of motion controls were very innovative, sometimes, it feels good to just sit back, relax and enjoy the simplicity of button mashing.

Personally, I have always put the iconic idea of a simple button-covered controller at the top of my preferred control list. I always like to see Nintendo innovate with new and interesting control schemes, but using nothing more than buttons removes the need to tie the game itself to the controller style. Instead of having to say, “How can this controller be used to make new, cool, gimmicky puzzles and combat situations?”, the developers can just think of the game on its own and make it more focused on what the character can do, not what the player can do, and this leaves more creative freedom.

Nowadays, though, I think Nintendo has hit the peak for controlling Link: duel-screens. After the N64-to-3DS remakes, and after The Wind Waker HD, it is quite clear that simple, traditional buttons, with an easily accessible touch-screen, is the seemingly perfect control layout for the series. It can eliminate pause transitions, it lets you view your map and gameplay simultaneously, and more. I have given the Gamepad flack in the past, but at least for Zelda, it really is, in my eyes, the most seamless available tool for moving Link forward in his latest journeys.

What do you guys think? What is the best way to control your character in a Zelda game? A control scheme that has been used before, or maybe something new?

Last edited:

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
My personal opinion is that I love the traditional controller scheme. It's tried and true, proved to be flawless. But I must point out that the controls with the gamepad presented in WWHD with the option to play just on the Gamepad pressing pause to see the map and items screen like all other Zeldas is classic and all new all together. The screen adds a lot of options to the game. If you playing it on a TV with the gamepad for the menu, awesome. But Im cool using the old tv (not HDMI). And having the WiiU didnt really motivate me too get one considering the screen on the gamepad is in HD, and I havent bought a single game that didnt allow me to use it as my main video.

So I guess what I'm saying is, that when it comes to future Zelda games focus on the gamepad. It is surprisingly comfortable to play with, and is super SWEEEEET, especially when is comes to aiming shiz... come on! Someone tell me that game pad was not designed with Zelda in mind.

The way you play the Gamecube Zeldas. I like having a controller in my hand while playing video games, and even though I like the Wii Mote, I would rather have a gamecube controller or pro controller for any video game as well as zelda.

Zonda

Meme Connoisseur
Although it can be really unresponsive/inaccurate in terms of motion sensor inputs, the Wii Remote (in at least TP) had superb controls, especially with aiming ranged Weapons. Definitely my preference over the N64/Gamecube layout for 3D Zelda Games.

Also, I really wish that Console games would allow complete customization, where one can assign an action to a button themselves. I have a 21 year old game on PC that has such an option, so it can't really be that difficult for a modern developer to add that to a game's coding, can it? A lack of Control options has seriously hampered me in several major titles on late last generation/current gen games.

Iridescence

Emancipated Wind Fish
Skyward Sword's controls were really fun and immersive. That said, I don't want every future Zelda game doing it. If every future Zelda game had full-on motion controls, Skyward Sword wouldn't be unique anymore.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I would say the way the HD remake of Wind Waker utilized the Wii U gamepad was the best. The control scheme really worked well, the gamepad screen was great for checking inventory, changing items, looking up maps and charts. AND you could play just on the gamepad if you wanted to. I'm looking forward to Zelda U control-scheme-wise.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Although it can be really unresponsive/inaccurate in terms of motion sensor inputs, the Wii Remote (in at least TP) had superb controls, especially with aiming ranged Weapons. Definitely my preference over the N64/Gamecube layout for 3D Zelda Games.

Also, I really wish that Console games would allow complete customization, where one can assign an action to a button themselves. I have a 21 year old game on PC that has such an option, so it can't really be that difficult for a modern developer to add that to a game's coding, can it? A lack of Control options has seriously hampered me in several major titles on late last generation/current gen games.

I cant agree more. Console games should allow you to choose your own control scheme. I didn't like WW HD's button scheme. Roll should have been the most bottom of the four right hand buttons and sword should have been the one on the left. Having left being roll and bottom being sword was just wrong.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
I personaly did enjoy the motion controls in Skyward Sword and found them to be fairly accurate and intuitive and in my experience. That being said I was a little disappointed/annoyed that you were forced to use those kind of controls and I think a system where you can choose between a motion or button based control scheme would be good. Also, I think that a customisation feature like @Zonda suggested would be very benificial to button based controls. It would be fairly easy to implement and make it easier for players to find a way to play that is most comfortable for themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom