• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Goron "Link" at the Inn

Alright, this thought just came across my head while watching a 100% speed run of Majora's Mask.

When you recieve your key to the Inn in Clock Town, there was an apparent reservation under your name, 'Link'. You didn't put down this reservation but who cares, free room right? You found out a little while later (I think on the second day..) that a Goron with the same name as you, 'Link', was the actual person who had placed that reservation.

We all know, well most of us, that Termina is somewhat of an alternative reality of Hyrule. There's Malon, those twin brothers who juggle outside of the Inn, the Mask Salesman and many more, that have their own connection to someone similar in Hyrule. Hell even those workers from Kakariko Village are there, once again working away outside the Clock Tower.

Moving on..These are my thoughts. Do you suppose this Goron 'Link' is the grown version of the child Goron, 'Link', that Darunia named after you in OoT? I think it's obvious that you have matured a lot more in MM than your child version in OoT. Do you think the creators put that in there as an added bonus/Easter egg? This has probably been argued/mentioned before, but I never saw any other threads about this and what better way to speak my mind of something Zelda-related than on a Zelda forum? Anyways, what are your guys' thoughts? :goron:

I never really looked into these things that much, but I guess it must be pretty obvious to most people.

Hopefully if anyone is reading this, they've discover something new about Majora's Mask.

Good observation. I'm almost embarrassed to say I never caught on to that. It makes perfect sense and I'm accepting it as fact!

Austin

Austin
I simply thought that they reused the models from OoT because they wanted to get the game out faster, not because that they're the same people in an alternate dimension. Although, they could have explained their recycling by saying that.

L

Linkmsg92

I simply thought that they reused the models from OoT because they wanted to get the game out faster, not because that they're the same people in an alternate dimension. Although, they could have explained their recycling by saying that.

It's Nintendo, and I don't believe that they would've just lazily reused the character models for no reason. They used it to build onto the storyline of the parallel dimension.

As for the whole Inn idea, wow OwenGTA. Nice find. I never would've caught that if you hadn't pointed it out. I definitely am glad you posted about this cause I just learned a little bit more about the connection between the games. Thanks! (:

Austin

Austin
It's Nintendo, and I don't believe that they would've just lazily reused the character models for no reason. They used it to build onto the storyline of the parallel dimension.

I disagree. They had two years to complete Majora's Mask and most likely wanted to focus on creating a more immersive world, rather than create new models.

However, even if you do believe that they are the same people, I don't think that being a Goron and having the name Link are enough to make the conclusion that it's the same Goron Link from OoT.

First of all, with the exception of Koume and Kotake (Ingo brothers?), nobody retained their name from OoT. Second of all, Goron Link was a small child in the future portion of OoT. The two forms of Malon may be there because Malon was both an adult and child in OoT, but we only see G-Link as a child.

Compounding this issue is the fact that most Gorons look exactly alike. It's easy to confirm similarities between the Treasure Game girl and the Bombchu Bowling Alley girl, but nigh impossible to say that two Gorons look alike.

yann

TheBitterDubstepMan

Your right and that would be the case.
... If it wasn't for the fact that Goron Link in OoT is somewhat of a child, and Goron Link in MM is fully grown and wheres a hat with a pink bow tie.
The models aren't the subject, it's the name in question.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
This vaguely reminds me of something I wrote when trying to write a paragraph for one of those "story games." I ended up explaining my interpretation of what was going on with that:

He followed the voice to the downstairs of the Stock Pot Inn, and saw that it was coming from Anju, the innkeeper. She was speaking with the Postman, trying to get details about the origin of a mysterious letter. Link was relieved that Anju was always too preoccupied with this (or else too trusting of a fellow Hylian) to figure out that he had "borrowed" the room of a Goron traveler with the same name as himself (who could barely speak Hylian). Sleeping in the room free was a guilty pleasure he often indulged in on the first day. He even jokingly started referring to the room as his "cottage," much to Tatl's chagrin. So Link yawned, stretched, and left the inn.
That pretty much sums up what I think happened there.

As for whether he's an alternative version of Darunia's son in OoT? He would have to be, since every other character has an alternate. He's the wrong age, but not all characters are the correct age in Termina. I think Kafei might very well be Link's counterpart, but that's another story.

The Shadow

Creature of the Darkness
Wekk the Goron does come on the first day, at 4 o'clock he enters the stock pot inn, if you watch the story without taking the key he says his name perfectly fine without the goro and he gets his room and goes up stairs, but if you take his room key before he gets there (As long as he hasn't talked to Anju yet, even if he is inside), he will say 'Goro' at of his name-goro. This 'Link' I am actually guessing is one of the new character they added into majora's mask, he is also has the same design as the goron from 'the minish cap' (If i remember correctly). Him talking to Anju is a side thing I guess to explain how the key was reserved for you and for abit of a laugh, he sleeps outside but for some strange reason he disappears on the second day (Worried about the moon falling?). The one thing I never got is why does Link never sleep? is there coffee in Hyrule? if so just how much does Link drink? is that why he was asleep at the beginning of OoT, because it would be the last time he sleeps?

BTW athenian, Kafie was changed into a child by the skull kid with Majora's mask, this is both said about in the game and manga (I don't care about the manga not being canon, it helps explain a few things and is just down right awesome(

I disagree. They had two years to complete Majora's Mask and most likely wanted to focus on creating a more immersive world, rather than create new models.

However, even if you do believe that they are the same people, I don't think that being a Goron and having the name Link are enough to make the conclusion that it's the same Goron Link from OoT.

First of all, with the exception of Koume and Kotake (Ingo brothers?), nobody retained their name from OoT. Second of all, Goron Link was a small child in the future portion of OoT. The two forms of Malon may be there because Malon was both an adult and child in OoT, but we only see G-Link as a child.

Compounding this issue is the fact that most Gorons look exactly alike. It's easy to confirm similarities between the Treasure Game girl and the Bombchu Bowling Alley girl, but nigh impossible to say that two Gorons look alike.

We could take both ideas of the age and the fact that all Gorons look alike into consideration. Link obviously grew from his young age (mentioned in my first post) and why not the Goron? We don't know how fast Gorons age. This could've easily made it easier for Nintendo to put together because like you said, all Gorons look alike. It wouldn't make much sense for a little Goron wandering by himself in a big town far from Snowhead because he reserved his own room. :thinking:

Going back to the Malon thing. There could be two possible explanations for her.

1. Nintendo didn't want to remodel a small character such as her to make her look between young and mature.

and/or

2. Since her sister is in there, I'm sure they purposely made it so we'd recognize her from OoT. That would distinguish her and make us notice her instead of thinking her and her sister are just two people we never saw before.

Austin

Austin
We could take both ideas of the age and the fact that all Gorons look alike into consideration. Link obviously grew from his young age (mentioned in my first post) and why not the Goron? We don't know how fast Gorons age. This could've easily made it easier for Nintendo to put together because like you said, all Gorons look alike. It wouldn't make much sense for a little Goron wandering by himself in a big town far from Snowhead because he reserved his own room. :thinking:

Going back to the Malon thing. There could be two possible explanations for her.

1. Nintendo didn't want to remodel a small character such as her to make her look between young and mature.

and/or

2. Since her sister is in there, I'm sure they purposely made it so we'd recognize her from OoT. That would distinguish her and make us notice her instead of thinking her and her sister are just two people we never saw before.
I'm not necessarily saying that you're wrong, I'm just saying that we're too deep in the realm of speculation to support a feasible theory. What you said about the Gorons aging quickly may be true, but at this point you're creating speculation on speculation. Maybe it's just me, I'm a kind of a needs-to-see-it-to-believe it guy. And I ain't seeing it.

An interesting theory, however, after Zelda sent you back in time, the Goron with your name hasn't been born yet, making an alternate of him impossible, as he doesn't actually exist (Yet, perhaps? I don't know if going back in time went so far back that the Spiritual Stones are back with their owners or not)

Again, interesting theory, and very well thought out, however, not sure if it's possible.

An interesting theory, however, after Zelda sent you back in time, the Goron with your name hasn't been born yet, making an alternate of him impossible, as he doesn't actually exist (Yet, perhaps? I don't know if going back in time went so far back that the Spiritual Stones are back with their owners or not)

Again, interesting theory, and very well thought out, however, not sure if it's possible.

Wow, you pointed out the obvious that no one here seemed to notice. Goron Link was a baby when Link was an adult, and now in MM he is a kid again but Goron Link is older? Yeah doesn't make sense. Thanks for pointing it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom