• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

God Wars

Eduarda

Srishti is annie is eduarda right?
I read this chapter a long time ago, but I didn't reply. I thought I did :P Anyways, it's a really nice chapter. I love the direction the story is heading ^^ So Saga is going to go to Midgard soon, right? I have a question; what is a Gogot? :P

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
Very good chapter. Good writing and I'm really liking the plot.
Thanks, I just hope I don't disappoint you in the future. And since you have asked me about when Damera appears, well, lemme tell ya...he should appear somewhere near the future, it is not long now. ^^

Good chapter. I love the story so far.
I've never played Valkyrie Profile, but it's based on Norse mythology, right?
Yes, the game is, and so is part of this story. Remember, I am not using everything from the game, and some of the weird words you see, like Pliapakkus, Tartakus, Argoth, Gogot, Pahlinoor, etc, are made up by me, unless you find them out there somewhere, if you do, it is merely coincidence, I just make up fitting words that I need for the story.

really really good! I love how much saga has changed. I do wonder though, what does he look like behind the mask? hmmm... :hmm:
What does he look like? Hm, perhaps you will know as the story goes on. If you have read the story so far you know he is a demon, so perhaps that will give you something to think about. Thanks for reading, Vatz. ^^

Nice. It seems as though a few more Einherjar will be coming soon....
Yes, after this chapter 3 I get to the parts where Saga starts recruiting those Einherjar. So, thanks for having been patient up to this point, the characters will be coming out bit by bit, some alone, others in groups. Thanks for reading, I appreciate it.

I read this chapter a long time ago, but I didn't reply. I thought I did :P Anyways, it's a really nice chapter. I love the direction the story is heading ^^ So Saga is going to go to Midgard soon, right? I have a question; what is a Gogot? :P
Haha, I see. Yes, I also love the direction the story is heading. Saga, as of this next chapter, has come to Midgard. As to your question, Gogot is just a made up word I used in order to name one of the regions/Realms in Niflheim. (Niflheim is the gigantic realm found underneath the earth, there many different dark creatures live and that realm alone is divided into four parts, you'll learn more as the story goes on.) Thanks for reading up to this point, Zeldy.

And now, here is Chapter 3. This chapter is the first of the reworked chapters, so if you read the other one I do ask you to read it again since many things were removed and many new things were added. Also, I may have Chapter 4 later tonight or tomorrow. And I will also add some other pics to the Art thread.

Chapter3-1.png

The moon shone brightly and the stars flickered with life high on the sky above. A gentle breeze blew across the lands, molesting the trees and shrubs that were scattered around the region. Hidden in the shadows of the night, Jzak Freiya and Valkyrion Saga shared a conversation as they stood watch close to a lonely monastery that served as an orphanage. Seconds ago, the two figures had materialized where they stood. The trip from Asgard to a central region in Midgard had taken but mere minutes for the two figures.

"This is as far as I am allowed to accompany you," Jzak's gentle voice disrupted the quietness of the night. "I am not allowed to join you in any kind of action, only to tell you what you must know and to answer any questions you may have. So, have you understood everything up to this point, Valkyrion Saga?"

A civil--but also nervous--nod was given as response by Saga. Far off to the east from their position, close to the monastery, loud mooing reached the figures' ears, but that did not unhinge either of them.

"Good.” the goddess went on, satisfied at the nod. “I believe you are ready to perform for the All-Mother. Lady Lenneth wouldn't have chosen you if she did not think you were suitable for the job. You have been granted a new life, Saga, a new opportunity. Prove to her that she made the right decision in making you a Valhallan God, the new chooser of the slain, a position coveted by many in Asgard, yet one that ended in your hands to perform."

"I...will not fail, Lady Jzak Freiya," came the fidgety reply from Saga, who now wore an ivory colored helmet to compliment his armor. The helmet was in the form of a Vaiek’s head, a creature that would have somewhat resembled a panther in the world of mortals. The helmet covered and protected his whole head, and ever since he had received it from Jzak Freiya a few minutes ago back in Asgard, Saga had liked wearing it, for it had fitted him perfectly, as if the helmet had been destined to be his.

The only thing visible of Saga's face that Jzak could see that starry night were the pair of fiery eyes that shone brightly behind the dark mask. "I will prove to Lady Lenneth that I will do as she wants me to," Saga continued, his voice a little nervous. "But, Lady Jzak Freiya, I do ask myself, have been doing it since I made my decision. What if I fail? What if I do something wrong during my missions? What if I...am tempted to..."

The tall goddess shook her head at him several times.

"Lenneth did not fail before with this kind of task.” she began speaking. "Neither will you now in these hard times, Valkyrion Saga. Even though this is different than what she did years ago for Odin, you have her blessings, her radiant sword, and all of Valhalla's favor is with you. Be not afraid to fail, you still have not begun your tasks, so worry not, I know that you can do it.”

Saga closed his eyes tightly and glanced away from her. It was not so simple, Saga now was going against the forces he once had commanded, against his own mother possibly...

“Go, Valkyrion Saga,” Jzak went on with a slight smile. “forget your past, forget about your failed conquest, forget that you obliterated many of our kin!" at these words, Jzak Freiya lowered her head sadly, for memories of her deceased friends had come to her thoughts during those seconds. Saga had killed many of them when he had brought war upon Valhalla months ago, and for that, the goddess still felt depressed at times, angry as well, even if the Lady Lenneth had begged her to be strong and let go of such sad thoughts and feelings, the past was the past.

"Forget about all your offenses against the All-Mother," Jzak rose her head again, knowing that she needed to be strong, as her goddess had commended. "let go of all your past memories and evil doings.” her voice sounded firmly in control by now, and she noticed Saga was looking at her with undivided attention. “Forget that you were once humanity’s bane and that you nearly destroyed Valhalla and this world. All that is forgotten, nonexistent now. Go and perform for her Ladyship and earn our trust. Make amends as the All-Mother wants you to. Your first task begins in that orphanage there." and Jzak Freiya pointed at the monastery in the distance, to what Saga took a look as well.

The lean warrior, who was settling down with every passing second, turned to face Jzak Freiya and nodded, letting her know that he understood. Jzak was taller than him by at least five or six inches. Jzak nodded right back with a serious face. "Any questions before I depart, Valkyrion Saga?"

Saga hesitated for a bit, but then he spoke.

"If I have understood the All-Mother correctly, then I am to seek the souls of fallen warriors who are to help me take care of my first mission, right?" Saga shifted in his stance a little and eyed the beautiful goddess.

Jzak Freiya crossed her arms. Unlike Saga who wore armor and plating, the tall goddess was simply dressed in a red and white two piece outfit that was made up of a long sleeved blouse and shorts. She also wore long red boots and a goddess hat, just like her mother dressed.

"Yes, exactly,” she replied kindly, yet in a serious voice. “but don't forget that you must train and send a few of those souls who you deem strong enough to help us in Valhalla. As you know, your recent attack upon us has left us very weak, and the All-Mother is not about to go on a creating phase just to bolster our ranks, the time of creating is over, Lady Lenneth acts that way no more, she has her own guidelines and codes of honor to follow. That is why you have been granted a new life, a new beginning. You are to harvest the souls of fallen warriors and train them in battle and then send them to Valhalla, where they will become gods and help us in the war against evil."

"I think I finally get the picture," Saga understood, and he sighed, feeling really bad. If not for him, Valhalla still would be very strong, and the forces of evil would still be kept in check. Due to his surprise attack against the inhabitants of heaven, Valhalla had been left very weak and the forces of evil were plotting to bring them down from power sometime in the future. Knowing that himself, Saga shuddered at the thought and quickly added. "I think I better get going, then. Thanks for everything, Jzak Freiya. I will do my best."

And Saga was about to take off flying using his wings, but Jzak Freiya acted fast on her part and detained him by grabbing on to his shoulder. "Wait a minute, Saga, we are not done here."

Startled, Saga relaxed his wings and turned to stare at the goddess.

"Before you depart," she said and took her hand off of him. "Is it alright with you if I kiss you on the crown of your helm?”

Saga didn’t blink and he didn’t concede with a nod or a word, he just remained standing as if frozen in front of the tall goddess, observing her deeply.

She was beautiful. Saga had come to know that fact from the very first time he had set eyes upon her back in Sphere Tower. Too bad he was just a demon trying to fit in.

Seeing no response from him, Jzak sighed lightly and quickly added, “It's a custom I've been observing with every servant under my orders." and she remained staring at him, wondering what he would respond this time. "It's sort of like a blessing to them from my part, see? A good luck wish."

Saga turned to the side and remained pondering on what she had said. He had never believed in luck, and back then when he had been leading the forces of evil he had not been a servant, rather he'd had many of those serving him, powerful dark gods included. The word servant sort of nicked at his being, for that was what he was now, a mere servant for Valhalla, for the Lady Lenneth.

Jzak Freiya cleared her throat then, and Saga shrugged those thoughts off and concentrated on what the goddess had asked of him. He thought then that what Jzak wanted to do was absurd, however, he did nod timidly at her, just to have this matter done with, after all, what harm could a kiss on the helmet bring to him?

Jzak stepped right up to him, leaned her head down a bit and slowly kissed him on the crown of his helmet.

“I think we have delayed and talked too much,” Saga quickly said, scratching one of his forearms nervously, Jzak noticing that perhaps the kiss had actually made him feel very uncomfortable.

"I will be summoning you at times," Jzak concluded with a cough, knowing that time was of the essence. Back in Valhalla her help was much needed. "You will know of it and will be told what to do when that time comes. Go now, Valkyrion Saga, and help Valhalla tip the balance of war back in our favor. And be cautious, there will be many enemies to deal with. Brahms, your mother Queen Hel, and those many other enemies that are against us, will not be pleased at all that you have changed sides, they will probably strike you as soon as you are found out. If not, then they will want answers, be careful, Saga."

"I will." Saga replied.

Jzak Freiya nodded lightly at him, saying, “If I have told you all this, I guess it is because I want you to be alert, nothing else.”

Saga would have chuckled at the goddess’s words, but he didn’t, because he positively knew Jzak Freiya really did not care much about what happened to him. To her, he still was a trouble maker, the god who had slain many of her godly friends, a dark god seeking to right the wrong, a being who was beginning his penance road to obtain self-forgiveness and seeking to obtain the trust of all Valhallans.

They shared a long and quiet stare, each studying the other as they did. A few heartbeats later, it was Saga who cleared his throat under the weight of the awkward moment they shared. Jzak Freiya, to her own dismay, suddenly found herself smiling lightly at him once again. Saga took noticed of the smile and he heard Jzak chuckling then.

“What is it?” Saga was surprised at seeing her laugh for the first time since he had met her.

“Nothing much,” she said, calming herself down, the goddess not believing that Saga had managed to steal a smile and several laughs from her. “It is just that I need to get going, duty is calling me.”

Saga knew there was more to it, for the goddess had not acted that way before, rather had behaved strict and serious when around him. Was she becoming soft around him, Saga had to wonder. First the kiss and now the smile and laughs.

The Valkyrion, ignoring his thoughts, nodded at her understandingly, knowing she was right. Deep down he also knew he had to get going, he had already spent too much time with the goddess this night.

“I am glad you are on our side now,” Jzak said all of a sudden, her voice sounding very genuine, which made Saga consider his earlier thoughts about Jzak Freiya turning soft. Her emerald eyes seemed to be sparkling when Saga considered her over. Saga replied to her words with a simple, nervous nod, and Jzak knew that was all she would be getting as response from him. Feeling a little awkward with what was going on, Saga set his stare on the monastery.

“Please be careful,” Jzak added and quickly coughed twice, believing that she had erred with her words. “Keep your guard up at all times is what I meant to say,” she quickly added, trying to fix her error, if it was an error at all, for Saga simply remained staring off to the distance, perhaps he had been too distracted and had not even picked it up. “I’d really hate to see you die in this troubled world.”

“I’ll be alright,” Saga told her, turning a quick glance at her but one that did not let Jzak Freiya know if he had perceived what she had really meant with her words. “Hopefully, that is,” Saga managed a light chuckle. “I will listen to your wise words and keep them in my mind as an always reminder, Jzak Freiya.”

“You know,” she said then, not feigning a smile. “You have been calling me Jzak Freiya ever since we started talking to each other. That or Lady Jzak Freiya.” she advanced on him and added as she did. “You do me a favor if you either call me Jzak or Freiya, but not both, I am not used to being called that.”

“I never meant to make you feel uncomfortable,” Saga's dark mask hid a flush of embarrassment. “My apologies...Jzak.”

The goddess did not smile, but she knew he had taken her words to heart, and she did nod at him, just to let him know that she was pleased.

Saga, noticing that both of them were having a hard time letting go of the other, said. “Again, I think we’ve delayed much down here. Go at ease back to Valhalla, I will not be foolish, I know what has been entrusted to me.”

“I long for our next meeting,” Jzak replied with sincere words and a fond smile.

“As do I,” Saga was sincere. Jzak believed that she perceived a hint of sincerity in his words.

Managing a proud smile at him, Jzak Freiya nodded and said, “Very well. Time for us to depart, Valkyrion Saga."

And without awaiting an answer from him, she drew a kind smile on her face and disappeared from his view, leaving him standing alone and sort of confused with his own self.

Saga took a deep breath to steady himself, ignoring the many thoughts that assaulted him from every direction. What had happened to Jzak Freiya? Why had she acted weird near the end, all soft? He shook his head and drew his fine sword out and contemplated it thoroughly, opting to get his thoughts on something else other than the beautiful goddess and the many possibilities that came with her.

The sword he was looking at had once been wielded by Lady Lenneth. The bright sword was much different than the dark sword Nefarious he had once wielded, a weapon the All-Mother had taken away from him for his own good. The dark sword Nefarious had been infused with dark powerful magic that allowed it to steal living beings’ souls and make the wielder stronger. Saga had crafted it himself hundreds of years ago, with only little help from his mother Queen Hel. With the help of that sword, Saga had become too powerful to be controlled, until he had crossed blades with the All-Mother herself.

Saga was reminded of his terrible sword then, and the mighty power it harnessed. Just for a brief second he thought he really needed it back in his hands, that he missed its terrible power, that he missed terrifying opponents with it.

Saga sighed and shook his head disgustedly at those thoughts. He knew he had to change his thoughts to better ones, for he had not even started his first task and he was already pondering on the past, on his beautiful yet life-demeaning dark sword. Feeling like an idiot, Saga put the radiant sword back in its silvery scabbard and turned his attention to the monastery, where duty called him.

“I truly was a fool back then,” he scolded himself, and he rose his stare to the heavens. The most beautiful and kindest face Saga had ever contemplated suddenly appeared in his thoughts, the face of Lady Lenneth, who went by many names, such as the All-Mother, the Life-Guardian, Lady Love, Lady Lenneth, and Saga’s personal favorite: Lenneth.

Behind his dark mask Saga smiled lightly and felt his heart and body ease up in calmness. “Thank you for having delivered me of that dark road, Lady Lenneth,” he said in full sincerity, his eyes closed tightly. “I surely will not fail in the tasks you have entrusted me. You are the one, you are the only one who can set things right, I will help you do it, and in doing so, I will clean my name, my image, my dark past and everything else there is to be cleansed of me that my dark past has tainted.”

He opened his eyes and settled them upon the monastery once more, the mooing in the distance had brought him back to the real world. As Saga started flying toward the monastery, he also started to wonder what this new road, this new chance at life he had been given, would bring for him. Nothing much had changed, just the fact that he was now on the good side of things and he had no use of his terrible blade. He still had his many powers, and then some, and was free to choose his actions, though he remembered what Lady Lenneth had warned him about. If he betrayed her trust and went back to his evil ways, he wouldn’t be getting a third chance, no one ever did.

Valkyrion Saga came flying close to the orphanage, and he landed just a few twenty feet from where the main building stood. Everything seemed to be in order there, the only sounds he could hear were the rustling of leaves and branches of the surrounding trees and large shrubs. He heard the mooing of the cows and the gentle breathing of other animals that rested within the barn at the back of the monastery. Wanting to learn more about the animals, Saga cautiously walked closer to the back just to have a better understanding of his surroundings.

He noticed that close by there was a wagon missing a few wheels, several large barrels and two large wooden crates against the monastery’s wall. The monastery was large and made mostly of grayish stone, there were windows on top that let him know that the place had two levels. All those windows were dark, meaning that either the monastery residents were fully asleep or not in those rooms at all. Saga, who still had most of his magical power at his disposal, for Lady Lenneth had left those intact, concentrated and willed himself to read what was within the walls of the monastery. And his power let him know that several figures were huddled on a large room, most likely the reception room. Five lively figures Saga read, and he nodded to himself, pleased that his powers still worked as they had done before.

The Valkyrion left the surrounding area of the orphanage and decided to wait close to a large tree that stood on a hilly side overlooking the monastery.

That insignificant place, that orphanage, was to be the place for his first appointment with a fallen Midgardan, or mortal being. It would officially be his first ever mission as a warrior of Valhalla.

Focusing on the task ahead, the Valkyrion listened to his inner thoughts then, working with a new power that he had acquired in order to perform the duties as Chooser of the Fallen. When Saga went to deep thought, his senses totally synchronized on the mortal world, he could hear the many painful cries, the agonizing pleas for help of people who were about to meet death.

A week or so ago, similar cries, similar desperate pleas for help and mercy had rocked his soul unlike anything else when the Lady Lenneth had allowed him to listen and feel them when she had shown him the vision of oblivion. The hopeless feeling that he had felt at that time had been the cause of his total repentance, and mostly the factor that had made him agree to the Lady’s offer to join her and the Valhallans. Death itself was an abomination, a thing that should not even exist. With his help, Saga knew Lady Lenneth would attempt to be rid of that and would fix the world.

Feeling profoundly sad and wounded because of the desperate shouts of horror he could already hear within his mind--even when those shouts still did not come to be--the Chooser of the Slain started crying silently behind his mask as he remained in deep concentration.

*End of Chapter 3*​

Last edited by a moderator:

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
Pretty good. I can't wait for the next chapter....
Thanks, I cant wait to deliver it either, so in a few hours maybe, I may have to edit this post. For now I just realized I haven't added a map. I think I will add one in that Art thread. *Goes to find a map online*

Eduarda

Really nice chapter ^^ There was a lot of detail. I wonder how his first task will be like :P

Only 2 mistakes have caught my eye.

And saga was about to take off flying using his wings, but Jzak Freiya acted fast on her part and detained him by grabbing on to his shoulder. "Wait a minute, Saga, we are not done here."

Here is me being picky :xd: It should be capitalized, right? :P

The sword he was looking at had once been wielded by Lady Lenneth. The bright sword was much different than the dark sword Nefarious he had once wielded, a weapon the All-Mother had taken away from him for his own good. The dark sword Nefarious had been infused with dark powerful magic that allowed it to steal living beings’ souls and make the wielder stronger. Saga had crafted it himself hundredths of years ago, with only little help from his mother Queen Hel. With the help of that sword, Saga had become too powerful to be controlled, until he had crossed blades with the All-Mother herself.

Hundredths is actually a term used when you are talking about the number of the right of a decimal. Like in this number 123.456, I think 5 is the hundredth number. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that it should be hundreds (again, I'm being picky :P )

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
Really nice chapter ^^ There was a lot of detail. I wonder how his first task will be like :P

Only 2 mistakes have caught my eye.

Here is me being picky :xd: It should be capitalized, right? :P

Hundredths is actually a term used when you are talking about the number of the right of a decimal. Like in this number 123.456, I think 5 is the hundredth number. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that it should be hundreds (again, I'm being picky :P )

As I told you in the vm I left you, yes, you are correct, thanks for pointing those out, really appreciate it, you made the story look better. ^^ And, that really wasn't filled with much detail, I could offer plenty of detail, but it is not like me, it would make the story three times longer or even more, but I don't need all that detail in there, just what you--as the reader--need to know.

And, as I told you, Annie, before I leave, I will try to leave the story where I left off in the first one. So here is another update, and I will be adding the first Einherjar's pic in the art thread, so check it out if you want to see a bigger version. :P (Again, this is an original chapter of the old story, but it has been rewritten, it contains new info and I removed a lot as well)

Chapter4-1.png

Keeping up with her smaller brothers and sisters was no easy task for the fifteen year old Ella Rose, but she had always welcomed challenges with open arms, that is why she had risen to the occasion time and time again. And so when the matron mother of the house had asked her older daughters who was to remain in the monastery and look after the younger orphans while she and the others went to the city of Artolia to buy provisions, Ella Rose Amakiir had volunteered right away. It was not that Ella liked taking care of the kids, rather she had volunteered because she had gone to the city of Artolia recently, and so she had decided to give a chance to the other older girls.

Ella had remained taking care of the four kids, and that night, the kids were calmer and keeping order within the orphanage.

That could have been simply because Ella was telling them a horror story about a monster who ate kids who behaved bad. Of course the story was made up by Ella, who only wanted to entertain them and keep them from making a mess around the place. Ella, hiding a smile, had noticed how the kids had nervously gathered around her as she had been relating the story to them. Once she was about halfway through with it, the pack of four kids who ranged from ages 7-12 were almost on top of her, obviously frightened of all the details they were hearing but also wanting to hear more.

Kids these days, the beautiful maid had thought and smiled. Ella remembered when she had been their age. She had been afraid at such things but also very curious to hear more. Now she was near the age of sixteen, was still young and very beautiful, but she was beginning to have ambitions, such as to go out on her own one day and join a guild and work hard in order to repay for what the matron mother had done for her during her younger years.

Ella, seeing them gathered closely around her, knew that being close to her guaranteed them a sort of safety, made them feel secured, so that is why they had come closer around her bit by bit as the story had gone on. Ella didn’t mind, she loved her brothers and sisters of the orphanage as if they were her real true brothers and sisters.

"And so the Maröka comes out at night when the kids are fast asleep," Ella told with as creepy a voice as she could muster, her light bluish eyes scanning the four kids one by one. "Those that have behaved too bad through out the years are unexpectedly dragged off from bed at night and are never seen again."

Ella was about to conclude her story when all of a sudden a loud thud came from the outside. The thud alerted and spooked everyone in the living room, making a few of the youngsters scream their lungs out, which scared Ella Rose. All eyes went to her, but her eyes were already on the door.

"Ella, what was that?" the voice of a younger girl asked, her tone frightened.

"Could it be..?" Ella started with a thought, thinking that perhaps the matron and her companions were already back from their trip. That was impossible, she knew, and she stood up from the wooden bench where she had been sitting on, her face screwed with concern. Several other kids did the same but she eased up their fears by telling them that it was okay, that it was probably just the wind knocking some objects about.

"Maybe the matron mother is back," a blondish girl who wore glasses spoke too loudly, to what Ella reacted by placing a finger on her mouth and shushing her. "Shh! Keep your voice down, Leyla."

"She's got to be back!" someone else shouted and was about to rush to the door, but Ella caught the
little black haired fellow before he could go any further.

"No, that can't be, Mirah." Ella told him as she kept him close to her. The little kid was known as Mirah, short for Mirahnos Rargos. "They just left a day ago, they haven't even made it to Artolia yet."

Suddenly there came another loud thud, but this time from the back area of the orphanage where a barn housed several horses, cows and chickens. A loud growl came after that, making Ella and the rest of the kids back away from the door and feeling very scared. Then shortly after, the animals inside the barn reacted in their own frightened ways as yet another loud thud was heard. Ella trembled and felt her skin becoming full of Goosebumps, but she kept her wits about her. She thought she recognized the growl and her eyes went to one of the stone walls where the matron kept several weapons in case of an emergency.

"Ella, I am scared," Mirah cried out, and the rest of the pack huddled around her and hugged her, also very scared.

"Wait," Ella told them as they all surrounded her, preventing her from walking. "There is no reason to be alarmed...let me get over to the wall so I can arm myself, it's just a dang coyote, I've dealt with those suckers before."

“No! It’s no coyote!” the other girl cried, her face fear-stricken. “No, don’t go, stay with us, please.”

“Please, Mika, I have to,” Ella told her. “The matron taught me to keep the place safe and that is exactly what I aim to do.”

At her brave words, the kids let her get to the wall, but they followed her closely nonetheless, for they were all very scared.

Ella armed herself with a bow and a quiver full of arrows, the weapon the matron mother had trained her with during her young teen years. She wasn't just good with it, she was an excellent shooter. Ella was known in the orphanage as a great hunter and shooter, and many of the younger orphans wanted to be just like her when they grew older. That had made the maiden feel very proud of herself.

Countless of times Ella had killed rabbits and other small animals around the orphanage during her training. She had also dealt with the coyote threats, which took place almost every night and then, but she had done it with the help of the other two older girls, or with the matron's. Tonight, she was alone, and that made her ponder on the situation just a bit. What if something went wrong?

Ella calmed herself and walked away towards the main entrance.

"Leyla," she instructed the blond girl. "You stay here with the rest, I am going outside to deal with that dang coyote. Mother will have my head if I let the animals in the barn get killed."

Young Leyla nodded timidly, knowing Ella spoke the truth. The animals in the barn had cost the matron mother quite a bit of copper and silver, perhaps even a few gold coins, to lose them all in one night to a simple coyote would surely make the matron very upset and angry.

"I'll keep them safe, Elli," Leyla promised, almost assuring it. Elli was the nickname the younger orphans had given Ella years ago, for she was cool with all of them.

Bow in hand, and also an arrow already strung to it, Ella ordered, "Keep the door secured and don't open it unless it is me who tells you to, you understand me?"

"Yes of course," Leyla responded right away, noticing Ella's stern glare.

"Good," Ella nodded at her and smiled at them all to assure them all was fine. "Now come help me open this door."

The two girls rushed to remove the cross bars and the locks that kept the main door secured. When they were done with the task, they both retreated back to where the two younger boys awaited.

Ella opened the door and out she went.

"Be careful," the smaller brat called after her, his tone worried. Ella turned to regard him over her shoulder and offered him a smile. "I'll be alright, Mirah. You guys hang on tight, alright?"

They nodded, and then Ella Rose disappeared off to the right, the door closing fast behind her and making her nervous as it shut with a loud thud.

(Part 1/3)

It was dark and the wind was hardly blowing, Ella noticed, and yet she could feel that it felt overly cool. The young archer knew the outside of the place well so she did not have a hard time making out the tall trees and bushes that surrounded the orphanage. Slowly, Ella started to move toward the back, keeping herself near the walls of the monastery, which were composed mostly of gray cinderblock. She quickly came upon the area where the old useless wagon stood off to the side, the crates and the barrels.

Ella was a grown up teenager, but being out at night had never appeased her. Something about the monastery had always given her the creeps, and not just to her, but the rest orphans had also complaint about it. She knew for a fact that something horrible had happened there in the past, she had asked the matron mother about the place, that's how she had come to know that a group of necromancers had held ancient rituals and sacrifices to the dark gods. But stories from the matron mother were not all she knew of, Ella herself had also felt a strange sensation when being outside alone at night, she had heard eerie voices and had felt a tightening, chocking sensation in her esophagus that would make her want to return running back inside in a hurry. Inside the monastery was different, the matron herself, who happened to know a bit about magic, had expelled all evil spirits and weird sensations, so being inside the monastery was different, and it sure was safe.

Ella gulped hard and kept her wits about her though, it was not the first time she was outside by herself. She knew that she had to get rid of the coyote, or coyotes, or whatever the heck was back there inside the barn causing havoc with the animals. In the distance where the barn was located she could hear the animals' alarm cries, but over that noise she started hearing the low murmurs, the eerie voices she had heard before. The maiden closed her eyes briefly, felt herself becoming rigid with fear, but then she opened her eyes again and made a funny face.

What am I doing? Why do I feel like this? I am Ella Rose Amakiir, oldest of the orphans here. I must be brave.

She sighed and obtained courage from out of nowhere and decided to ignore the voices. She tightened her grip on the bow and kept on moving towards the back even as she felt her skin becoming full of goosebumps.

"Gee, that's the last time I'll ask the matron mother to relate me stories about this place," she scolded herself as she moved slowly and cautiously. She was a little frightened, for she could not fully ignore the voices, but that fright was nothing compared to how she would be feeling soon.

Valkyrion Saga, though in much flesh and bone form, was invisible to any worldly beings that could have been about the place around that time of the night. He could shift from being made of flesh and bone to being a spirit, the difference not showing really to those that lived in Midgard, unless he wanted to show himself to them.

He was watching intently as the short human girl moved slowly toward the back, a bow in her hands. Saga moved toward the back as well, following her closely. She was small, he noticed, still a young teenage kid, though he could read her energy well, and that energy let him know that the girl was actually good using the bow she carried. He noticed she was dressed in a simple blouse and pants outfit, which were of two colors; black and green, and she wore brown leathered boots. Her hair was brownish and long, it fell to her back, though the girl had it tied in a fat braid. On top of her hair she wore a grayish diadem, which she mostly wore to keep the top of her hair in place.

Saga could smell the fear in her, could even feel it, for he could read her mind, her thoughts, everything of Ella Rose Saga knew. He knew she was very frightened, but still, bravely she continued to go on.

Saga, just like Ella, could hear the laments, the cries of agony from the victims that had been sacrificed in rituals long ago. He could also feel the presence of evil specters looming about, specters who in their long dead conscious knew he was there yet could do nothing to announce his presence or hurt him. He could see them as they flew around the place going to nowhere in particular. They appeared as nothing but deformed flying sheets, which glowed in the same color as the moon above did. Their faces, though, were creepy, as creepy and ugly as any Saga had seen during his long stay in Dark Realms. Those specters had not yet been granted entrance to Paradise nor Cocytos, so they would remain lamenting themselves until their time came.

Saga could not help it but feel sad when he knew the time for the girl to die had come, the three life stealers that had come down from the Artolian mountains would not pass up the opportunity to suck a human's life away, humans were their favorite resource to feast upon. The animal ruckus within the barn quieted down all of a sudden, and that only made Ella’s face turn pale, her thoughts full of concern.

“Oh no,” she cried worriedly, thinking that the coyote or coyotes had killed all the animals. With that ugly thought in mind she ran toward the barn.

Saga pursued her but stopped short as the girl began to open one of the doors to the barn.
From a short distance he saw as the brown haired girl proceeded into the barn. At least she was full of courage despite being scared to the core, that Saga admired about her as it brought old memories about himself. Countless of times had the ex-lord of Tartakus launched himself into the field of battle unafraid of dying and laying waste to enemies left and right.

Saga glanced around and waited, for now that was all he could do, and he did not feel like going into the barn and witness what was coming, the death of the girl.

Ella’s eyes adjusted to the darkness within the barn, not that they needed much adjustment, she had adapted to the darkness a few seconds after she had come out of the monastery. As soon as she had come in, she could tell the animals were all dead, even two large coyotes! Chickens and roosters laid dead all over the barn’s floor, their feathers covered part of the ground, and cages where they had been housed, laid on the floor as well. Sadly, Ella noticed that the two cows laid dead as well, as did a small goat and a pony. But what had Ella confused the most was the two bodies of the coyotes laying dead near the other animals. What had killed them?

From way back in the barn Ella heard a weird sucking noise that snapped her out of her thoughts, and she straightened and became aware of three huge figures that sat huddled near one of the corners of the barn, sucking the blood out of one of the fallen cows and a large rooster. Ella was surprised to make out three beasts that she had never seen before. They apparently had broken in through one of the barn’s windows, for Ella noticed that one of those was completely broken.

Despite her surprise at the beasts, her face turned from pale to angry red, and she rose her bow up and aimed at the closest figure, the one who was sucking feverishly on the rooster. The creature’s back was exposed to her, but that would not change Ella’s action, she would kill the creatures even if they did not know she was there, even if she did not give them a chance to react.

Ella let loose the first arrow, her aim was true and the pointy arrow stuck deep in the creature’s back. The creature yelped in pain and was sent flying to smash against the barn’s back wall. Ella noticed the creature did not stand back up, the arrow had killed it instantly as it had skewered its heart, but the other two monsters turned their elongated faces over their shoulders to find her out.

Ella strung another arrow and quickly let fly, attempting to bring down another of the creatures, but as the arrow flew towards them, the two life stealers jumped away, one to each side, and the arrow just stuck on the wall.

“Arghh, stupid!” Ella cursed herself for missing. She did not move to a safer place, rather remained there standing in the middle of the barn and went for another arrow. She strung it and took aim, but the creature jumped out of the way when the arrow flew towards it.

“Stay put, damn it!” Ella shouted angrily, more so at her own ineptitude to score another kill. What was wrong with her missing her target, she was too damn good to miss! Ella realized that perhaps she was missing due to her nervousness and tension.

Suddenly, agilely, one of the blood suckers jumped on to one of the ledges found high on the walls where the matron of the monastery had kept old tools. The other one rushed Ella from the ground, making the archer know that the creatures seemed rather intelligent, it appeared they had a strategy to play against her.

Ella fit another arrow quickly and aimed for the one on the ground, the one coming fast towards her. Ella held her ground, aimed as best as she could and let the arrow fly, this one barely missing the oncoming blood sucker’s head by a few centimeters. After seeing the arrow missing the mark, Ella knew she had to take off for it, but she had remained there standing contemplating her miss for too long. Just as she turned around ready to run away, the creature jumped at her from the ledge and drove her to the ground hard, the archer dropping the bow with her fall.

Ella Rose screamed and fought desperately to get the thing off of her, but the creature was strong and very agile. They had long suckers for mouth and their arms were very strong and even sticky. The creature's long mouth was primarily the downfall of Ella, for the creature’s mouth suddenly latched on to the side of her throat.

“Auughh!” Ella shrieked in pain, having felt the latching as the sting of a scorpion. She desperately fought against the creature, slapped it hard a few times and even kicked it with her knees, to no avail, the creature was hanging on to her as one would do with a coveted won prize. And soon, the other creature joined the other, their kill assured. Ella knew she was doomed when she felt another painful sting on her right forearm. Without having any mercy on their newest victim, the creatures started sucking her blood away.

A hair-rising shriek came from the barn a few seconds later, and Saga realized that the poor girl had most likely met the life stealers, or blood suckers, as they were also known all around Midgard. He felt his heart being torn as the cries for help reached his conscious, the Valkyrion had wanted to rush in and keep the girl alive, but those had not been his orders, and Saga was not about to disobey the All-Mother. The young girl would die this night and there was nothing he could do to change that. Nonetheless, there was something he would do, and that would be for him to rescue her soul before it entered either Paradise or Cocytos.

Out came Valkyrie Favor, and Saga knew it was time to act. Decisively he headed toward the door in a rush.

He kicked the wooden door aside and noticed that the girl laid on the floor, two life stealers were having their way with her, draining her of her precious blood.

He entered the barn angrier than ever and the two creatures noticed his presence right away.

From her dying position on the floor, Ella's eyes were barely able to see the radiant figure as it entered, for Saga had revealed himself fully to her and to the creatures. It was already too late, he knew as he saw the scene unfolding, most of her life force was already gone. Even though she knew she was seconds away from dying, Ella managed a light smile at the blurry figure that her eyes allowed her to see, then her eyes closed and her head fell to the side.

The two life stealers, feeling the powerful aura of the intruder, disconnected their long suckers they had for mouths from the girl's body and tried to run past him in an attempt to escape--yes, escape--for the creatures knew that they did not stand a chance against so powerful a foe. They could feel his tremendous power, the creatures knew they had had their fun and now it was time to get out of there.

But Saga was not about to let that happen, he was incredibly fast. He sliced one of them in two parts with the sword and let the blade fall to the ground as blood from the creature splattered all over the barn. With his free left hand he grabbed the other life stealer from its long neck as it attempted to flee past him. He hoisted the creature up in a chocking position and stared at it with his fearsome stare. The beast, knowing it was about to die tried as a last resort to lash its mouth on to the powerful being, who was able to grab the mouth with his right hand and twisted it aside before yanking it off with a mighty pull. How the creature shrieked in pain!

"You pieces of crap like stealing life, eh?" Saga shouted, angrily, tossing the long mouth aside. He then tore the beast to pieces using nothing but his bare hands, for his own words had stung him deep inside. How many lives had he stolen, had he taken away in the past?

Moments later, bathed in blood and breathing slowly, Valkyrion Saga knelt in front of the girl, obviously saddened and hurt at the loss of her life. There was nothing he could have done anyway, for he had not been sent to Midgard to save the lives of those who were in peril, rather rescue them after they died.

He sighed and felt weird, too weird to his own disbelief. He knew why, though. Had he been the Saga of old, he would be feeling extremely joyous at the sight, relishing at it, laughing insanely. Now though, as his reddish glare explored the small girl that laid on the floor, at her fragile body, which was soaked in blood, he was learning, he was understanding fully why the All-Mother had sparred his life and had given him the task of soul hunting. Death itself was an abhorring and abominable occurrence, the opposite of what life was. At the mere sight of the dead girl, Saga thought he understood now more clearer the value of life.

Staring at her, Saga had never felt so low in his life. How many lives had he taken, had he stolen only to become stronger? He started to cry again behind his mask, and he wished he could take off the mask and clear those tears away with his hands, but that was not happening, the mask would remain there until he died, no one would know his real identity, even if he now was on the good side.

With his weird feelings and all, Saga lifted up one of the girl's arms, which was covered completely in blood. He checked for a pulse, there was none. She was long gone. Saddened and very hurt, Saga tenderly let the arm drop down.

Saga, having been nothing but a merciless killing machine before, a tormentor and a lover of all evil things, caressed the fallen girl's face, and he felt strange doing such a thing. He only did that because he had come to understand how valuable life really was to the All-Mother and to him. He shook his head stupidly as he remembered about himself, about what he had been doing during his reign of terror. Saga, the most evil and feared being back then, had been offending the All-Mother greatly by killing being after being and then using their captured souls for his own conceited and evil gains.

The girl’s body had slowly been turning cold on Saga’s watch. Saga, who had touched her face just seconds ago, had felt that, and it produced a sickening sensation within him, which made him gulp hard and feel nauseous. Never before had he touched a body as it slowly turned cold and rigid. He felt compelled to stand up and leave, scared all of a sudden, and he gasped and fell on his buttocks, not knowing what to do, not knowing what he really was doing there. He looked around the barn, the dead animals he saw before his eyes made it all harder for him. "No!" he shouted and shook his head. "No, this is...not..."

Seeing the dead girl reminded him again and again and again about just how many victims had suffered the same fate at his hands. Hundredths, no, thousandths had, perhaps even millions.

Saga remained kneeling for a while, his knees kissing the hard ground and his head lowered in bitter disappointment at himself.

A few minutes later, Saga regained his senses and turned to regard the dead girl. He wheezed, took steady breaths and calmed himself down. He took his eyes off the girl and with one of his hands he brought out a shiny ivory pendant that he wore underneath his torso's ivory colored plate. The Pearl of the Chooser that pendant was known as, it served as a home for souls. Saga had received it from Freya earlier this day when he had been appointed the new chooser of the slain, a position that had been handled by a Valkyrie. Being the first male who was to perform such a job, he had been given the title Valkyrion and the beautiful pendant, for he did not have the same powers Lenneth had had as a valkyrie. Lenneth had been able to store the souls of fallen beings within her own self, Saga needed an identical power, and so the All-Mother had crafted the pendant specially for his use.

Feeling a little tense, for this was the first time he would attempt that kind of thing: summoning a soul on to the pendant, Saga closed his eyes, focused, and attempted to call the girl's soul on to the pendant.

And he succeeded! Saga smiled proudly when he felt the girl's soul moving lively within the pendant, the movement making the pendant vibrate lightly to his senses. Saga removed the pendant off his neck and stared at it in awe, he could see the soul within as well. To his reddish eyes the soul he saw within the pendant was something similar to a galaxy in the universe.

Beautiful, he thought as he watched in awe. The All-Mother had surprised him a bit more with that spectacular view.

All of a sudden, from within the pendant, he heard the girl's alarmed cry. He could hear her in his own thoughts as if she was standing right next to him.

Aghhhhh!

"Do not be frightened, Ella! I assure you everything is alright." he spoke it out aloud, for Ella, who was trapped inside the pendant, would be able to hear him, and she would hear him even if he simply thought the words.

Eh? Where am I? Why is everything so dark?

Then, suddenly, Ella realized what had happened earlier, her thoughts came rushing back to her as a rampaging river running loose over the country side. She was in spirit form yet could remember the past vividly, the life that she had lived as a human. Ahhh! Gahhh! Am I really dead? Those damned monsters...they killed me, they drained me completely of my blood, didn't they?

"They did, to the very last drop, the bastards," Saga answered with a low, angered tone, his eyes closed and the chooser of the slain feeling guilty of it. "But I killed them too, not that that will be making you feel any better. If anything will make you feel better, perhaps these news will: You have earned the right to live."

The right to live? But I am dead, how is that possible? Who are you, anyway, are you God?

"I...my name..." Saga coughed, feeling embarrassed with himself for stuttering so. "No, I am not God, far from it. My name is Valkyrion Saga, Saga to you, missy. I...am a servant of the All-Mother Lady Lenneth, I am the chooser of the slain, the harvester of fallen souls."

Silence, Ella was too confused to say anything. She could not see anything wherever it was that she was trapped in, she could only think and feel her own feelings, everything was darkness all around, but she registered that she could touch her own body as if she was alive. Why am I still able to feel my body as if I were made of flesh and bone?

"Take your time with it, Ella," Saga went on to tell her, he knew how confused she must be feeling. "I know it's not easy at all. You will be fine. I'd summon you out and let you see the world again, but now is not the moment, it is a mess here, and besides, I'd hate for you to see the mess I made. I would really hate myself for it if I allowed you to see your own dead body, so it is not happening."

Never mind me, Saga. The kids! Are they safe? That's all that matters to me at the moment.

"They are fine but frightened," Saga replied and stood up, knowing that it was getting close to leaving the place, his mission there was over, he had succeeded. "Your shout surely scared them, I can feel their fear and their worries for you...but they wont be coming out here any time soon."

Is there a way I can see them? I...would do anything if you could let me do that, Saga.

Saga considered her question as he returned to the spot where he had dropped Valkyrie Favor. He bent down and retrieved it then put the sword back in its scabbard. He could summon Ella out to the world if he chose to, but she would be in spirit form, nothing much but a specter as the ones circulating the monastery that night, except Ella was special, she had been chosen by Saga, she had a place to call home, and her body form remained the same, it would not be corrupted while under his service, it would not be turning into a creepy looking ghost nor would she be going to Cocytos or Paradise, she was still alive in a very special way.

Saga...you are quiet. Did you hear my plea?

"Yes, There is a way, but you will be in spirit form and will see the world a little different than what you were use to. You still want to see them?"

Yes. And what do you mean by me being in spirit form? Isn’t that the only form I will be from now on?

"I will explain all that much later, young one. For now you just have to know that you have stopped living a human's life. You are now a spirit, you have become an Einherjar and will serve me in times ahead, all by Lady Lenneth’s decree."

How am I to serve you? And what the heck is an Einherjar? And who is this Lady Lenneth you speak of?

"As I said," Saga clarified, moving toward the front of the creepy monastery. "all that will be explained to you much later. For now, just wait a bit, I am on my way out of here and you will get to see your brothers and sisters one more time before we move on, I’ll grant you that privilege."

That is all I ask of you now...and Saga?

"Yes?" Saga wondered what Ella could want now. She had pelted him with so many questions that it had made him chuckle lightly behind his mask.

Thank you for the opportunity, thank you for saving me. Ella’s voice rang genuinely thankful within Saga’s thoughts.

Saga said in a low voice, "You are welcome, Ella."

Within the pendant, Ella’s spiritual face smiled, glad at hearing the words.

Saga disappeared from view and flew off into the monastery. Using a quiet murmur, he summoned Ella out of the pendant. An invisible silver light shone and spread out from the pendant and moments later, Ella hovered near Saga in spirit form.

She was very surprised to find herself hovering close to the ceiling, and she felt a tremendous aura of power off to her left side, which scared her but made her turn to observe nonetheless.

"There they are," Saga pointed out with his hands to the room below, his stare on the kids below and not on Ella because he was not sure he would like her reaction when she laid eyes upon him. Ella glanced at him and was suddenly very scared at what she saw.

The spirit of the Artolian maiden was surprised and sort of scared of Saga, for she had never imagined him to be that scary looking. When she had found herself dying she only had seen a radiant figure entering the barn.

Saga turned to regard her with his fiery stare. Ella noticed the intense reddish stare and the dark mask Saga wore, and she was truly amazed of his dark wings.

So...you are Saga, eh? My savior!

Saga blinked and nodded at her. “I know I am not much to behold, but this is me. You wont be seeing my face, either.”

Why not? Ella dared to ask, very curious about it all. As soon as she had known that her savior hid his face behind a mask, she had become curious of his real looks.

“No one has ever laid eyes on me before.” Saga explained. “Well at least not since I was your age back then.”

Ella simply nodded and then glanced away down at the group of kids, who were all huddled together, some crying, others trying to calm them down. The maiden noticed that Leyla was doing well to keep them secured. The girl had grabbed on to a sword and had it close by.

Can they see or hear us? Ella asked but knew that had been a stupid question. Of course they could not see them, they were nothing but spirits, invisible figures to them.

Saga confirmed her fears with a nod. "I could let them see and hear us..."

Ella instantly turned his way. Though she knew she was dead, her human life gone, she knew that she now belonged to Valkyrion Saga. Asking him for something would have to become a habit for her.

But you wouldn't do that, right? It would scare the kids even more and perhaps...

"Perhaps," Saga said as he looked at her small dreamy eyes. "But believe me, it would alleviate their fears and tension. Even if they saw you as you are right now, you would be able to talk to them and let them know that you are okay and that you will always be watching over them."

Ella looked from her master to the kids below and couldn't help it but feel pity for them. She closed her eyes and started sobbing.

No. Even though I love them too much, the right thing to do would be to leave it all to the matron mother. She will explain what happened.

"The kids will be alright. They have food and water and will make it till the matron mother and the rest of her crew return. I myself will conjure a protective seal around this place that will last until the matron arrives, it will give the children a sense of safety and no one will come by this place. But are you sure you don't want to say good bye to them? Our road will get tougher as we move on and I wont be able to bring you back here."

Ella kept her head down and she simply shook her head, she was too sad with all that had happened.

They are living, I am dead, it just...doesn’t seem right.

"Dear Ella, believe me when I tell you that there are more roads ahead of us, death is not the end. Even if we are spirits now, we still will face new trials that will put our spiritual lives at risk, we could be obliterated from total existence by other supreme beings that you don't know about...yet."

At that, Ella turned to stare at him, and though she was just a spirit, she realized she could still fear death.

What? I can still die in this state?

"Yes...you have been chosen to help me out in a series of missions that are important to the gods of Valhalla and their war against their bitter enemies...the forces of evil. You are now an Einherjar, a warrior that is to serve me, so believe me when I tell you that things are just beginning for you."

Ella listened on, for she knew how important all the information her master was sharing was. She still could not believe any of it. She could not believe she was dead and now living in spirit form, it seemed like a dream to her. But she was dead, for as she remained hovering above close to the ceiling the maid had pinched herself so many times. She knew then that she had been granted a new life by Valkyrion Saga, and she knew she would now have to walk the road beside him, wherever that road led, just as she had walked down the path of her life in her human state.

"Are you sure you will be okay without saying good bye?" Saga’s intense stare fell upon her fair face, the god just wanting to be sure of her decision.

A troubled Ella turned to the kids again, for Saga's stare totally frightened her so. She felt pity for them, but she knew leaving without causing more fear to them was the right thing to do, they would understand in due time that she had died in that barn. They would cry and lament themselves for her death, but tonight Ella would not be spooking them with her appearance before them.

It was decided. Her eyes went back to Saga, and she smiled leniently at him, the maiden becoming more attached to him with every passing second, though she felt sad at not being able to see a smile from him in return. If he had indeed smiled at her she would never know it, for that creepy mask kept his entire face hidden.

I am. Let us leave, Saga. I trust in your word that the kids will be safe and sound. I am dead to them now...I must adjust to my new Einherjar life, so let us get going...you will explain more, right? I mean...I'm still unable to fathom it all.

Saga nodded at her, then without letting her know, he summoned her back into the pendant. Ella did not protest, rather just said, Will I have any other companions besides yourself?

As Saga summoned the protective seal and placed it upon the monastery, he answered. "A few others, yes, all Midgardans like you."

Ella was pleased to hear the answer, at least she would not be the only one, there would be more beings at her side and Saga’s.

The children were safe now, so Saga flew out of the monastery feeling relieved. The road awaited, and so did another Midgardan who was to become an Einherjar as well.

(End of Chapter 4)

Myriadviper42

Fulcrum Agent
Pretty good. You didn't cram it all into one post, and that worked well. Pretty interesting, I wonder what's going to happen next....

Eduarda

Nice chapter. I don't think I caught any mistakes :P Reading this chapter, I understand better what you meant by Saga collecting souls and stuff in the sign up thread :lol: I'm looking forward to reading more from you ^^

green goron

Best of the Gorons
As I told you in the vm I left you, yes, you are correct, thanks for pointing those out, really appreciate it, you made the story look better. ^^ And, that really wasn't filled with much detail, I could offer plenty of detail, but it is not like me, it would make the story three times longer or even more, but I don't need all that detail in there, just what you--as the reader--need to know

I thought you provide alot of detail I can picture the image in my head. I'm glad I started reading this.

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
Pretty good. You didn't cram it all into one post, and that worked well. Pretty interesting, I wonder what's going to happen next....
You mean to say I didn't cram these whole four chapters into a post? Lolz, no, that would be uncalled for, too long that it would scare readers away. That is why I try to post chapter by chapter. Thanks for reading.

Nice chapter. I don't think I caught any mistakes :P Reading this chapter, I understand better what you meant by Saga collecting souls and stuff in the sign up thread :lol: I'm looking forward to reading more from you ^^
That's very kind of you, to say that I mean, it really gives me motivation to keep going. Again, Annie, thanks for reading. ^^

I thought you provide alot of detail I can picture the image in my head. I'm glad I started reading this.
There are plenty of images to picture, so I am glad you think that way. I am glad you did too, hope you aren't disappointed.

Alright. @Annie, sorry I couldn't get to where I wanted to, but here is this update. I hope you are able to read it soon and perhaps help me out with any mistakes you may find, you know your help is always welcomed. Yours and anyone else's. :P

Chapter5-1.png

Saga had heard Jzak’s calling in his mind as he had been flying during the night minutes after he had secured Ella's soul. It was a summoning, Jzak Freiya had told him she would be summoning him at times, though Saga had not expected her to summon him so soon. Saga did not know why it had happened so soon, but he wasn't about to pass the opportunity to see the beautiful goddess again.

So he flew toward the direction the call was coming from as fast as his dark wings would take him. He found himself flying above the Artolian mountain range, craggy tall crowded mountains that stood off to the east of the monastery where Ella had lived a human life just hours ago.

Soon, Saga came to find an entrance to some old ruins he knew little of. He could smell Jzak's sweet scent as he descended down and came into the ruins through a roofless portion. There stood Jzak in the middle of a messy room, arms crossed and looking divinely beautiful, and she wasn't alone.

Stone pillars, stone walls and rubble laid scattered all about the room. Jzak's powerful aura radiated all around her, lighting the old ruins as if it were midday. Saga landed in front of her, his eyes on the other figure. The figure was another beautiful goddess, Jzak's sister. Just like Jzak, she was surrounded by a strong aura, which told Saga that the female was a powerful goddess as well. Saga wondered who she was when her eyes met his.

"Good evening, Saga," Jzak welcomed him.

"Good evening to yourselves," Saga simply said and bowed at them. Jzak found the need to bow back, as did her sister, who was investigating him thoroughly ever since upon his arrival to the ruins. Saga did not know it but he startled and scared Jzak's sister. Many were the stories about Saga that had reached her ears back in Asgard. She knew what everybody in Asgard knew, that Saga was the dark god who had almost laid ruin to Valhalla. As Saga continued to stare at the female, he was sure of himself that this beauty had not been present at the ceremony.

"I see you have collected your first soul," Jzak added with a pleased tone, noticing that Saga's stare was on her sister. "Ella is her name, eh? Not bad an archer she is, and that is precisely why I have summoned you."

"I am at your disposal, Jzak," Saga turned her way. "Should I summon her out here?"

"Yes, she needs to be present out here with us." Jzak confirmed and shifted about in her stance. "But before you go on to do that, I present to you my sister...Gretel Frida."

Saga bowed courteously at her right away, and Gretel smiled at him and bowed back, easing just a tad bit under the god's actions. Gretel was not tall as Jzak was, rather she was Saga's height, around five feet ten inches. She was dressed in a multicolored dress and a silver and gold armor plate covered her entire torso. On top of her head she wore a strange looking corona, also made of silver and gold. At the side of her waist she carried her magical staff, which was clipped-on to her waist belt. At the other side she carried a sword within a silver scabbard.

"She's been ordered to accompany you from now on," Jzak hastily put in. Saga listened carefully, and he wondered why all of a sudden Asgard had sent a companion for him, last he had heard from the All-Mother's own words Asgard could not spare a single soul. It was confusing to Saga.

"I see," was all Saga could manage to say as he scratched the top of his helm in mere confusion, he was too confused to even think about arguing or asking for a long explanation. Nonetheless, the explanation came.

"Orders from the All-Mother," Jzak told, believing that behind his mask Saga must be very confused. "You see, my sister here is an expert when it comes to crafting weapons and armor for us Valhallans. She's what Midgard folk would call...a smithy. And not only that, but she will be providing you and all your companions with food and drink."

"Oh, that makes sense," Saga understood why Gretel had been assigned to him, it was mostly because all the Einherjar he managed to save would be needing equipment, food and drink, after all, spiritual beings ate and drank as well.

"Gretel is here to provide you with all that and to assist you. You'll understand soon enough, for now why don't you bring Ella out?"

Saga, opting not to waste any precious time, nodded and then summoned Ella out of the pendant with just a simple thought. Ella was still too confused at all that had happened earlier, and she was heartbroken as well, but not because she had died, no, rather because her brothers and sisters had remained alone and she did not know what had become of them. Saga had assured her nothing bad would befall them, but that promise had not done anything to alleviate Ella's worries and fears.

Ella had been traveling inside the pendant mostly in silence and darkness, remembering her encounter with the life suckers and also praying for the safety of her beloved brothers and sisters from the monastery. When she noticed the world materializing right in front of her yes, she noticed two beings right in front of her, and she sort of panicked, gasped, and took a step back.

"It's okay, Ella. They are friends." Saga announced from the side, concerned at her reaction. Ella regarded him and nodded, her whole being pacifying instantly.

Ella had not been afraid of them, mostly their powerful aura had caused her to retreat, she was a weak being compared to them, their life source energy differed greatly and had unbalanced her quite a bit.

"I am Jzak," the tall goddess introduced herself to the pretty looking girl, her right hand touching her own chest. "And this is my sister Gretel, we are both from Valhalla, the realm of the gods."

Saga waited for Ella to say something. Ella, after having heard Jzak say that they were goddesses, could not believe it.

You are...gods? Ella asked incredulously.

Jzak nodded slowly and crossed her arms again, and Gretel simply smiled at the young girl.

I...this is amazing, I never even dreamed of meeting a goddess, let alone two. Hi, I am Ella, or was Ella, I don't know...I'm too confused right now.

"You are still Ella," Jzak assured her, making the girl lower her head in embarrassment before them. "You have stopped living a human's life. You have been granted a new life by Valkyrion Saga, as a spiritual being. You are now an Einherjar, a warrior for the Gods, your service as such is required."

Ella rose her head timidly and nodded at the tall goddess. Ella could not hide a smile from her, for her sheer beauty had made the archer smile in appreciation of it.

Jzak smiled back, reading her thoughts, then turned to Saga and added. "I have brought gifts from Valhalla, Saga. The Lady Lenneth is pleased with the results of your first mission, she has sent these artifacts." Jzak turned to face Gretel and said, "Sister, if you will."

Gretel motioned to action, she went for the magical rod that hung at her waist. She waved it about and there came a sparkle of light that resembled small stars to Saga and Ella's eyes. The sparkling light headed to the ground where it traced something for Saga and Ella to see. When the sparkling shower of light faded, three blue chests had materialized and could be seen on the ground in between Jzak and her sister.

"These chests contain a weapon and equipment for Ella and an extra weapon for you, Saga," Jzak explained after realizing how curious the Valkyrion and the Einherjar seemed to be at the appearance of the chests. "Also, as I have said, Gretel will be traveling with you from now. She's the one who will handle giving your Einherjar usable dimensional weapons, equipment, and edible fruit. She has also been ordered to lend you a hand in battle should you require her assistance."

Gretel was staring at Saga, her beautiful face showing him signs that she was eager to get started. Saga was about to ask her something when suddenly Ella cut him short.

Dimensional weapons? the archer was at a loss and she turned to regard a curious Saga for answers, but he just shrugged at her.

"Weapons that you can use in your spirit state," Jzak explained, seeing the girl's doubt. "these weapons are very much like you; invisible but usable in all places that Valkyrion Saga will take you and any others he gathers."

Even in the human world? Ella was curious to know. Will the weapon work against human beings?

Jzak simply nodded at her in response and uncrossed her arms, taking a hand to her left hip.

"That pretty much explains it all, yes?" Saga glanced at Ella. "You got all that, right?"

Ella nodded, feeling eager to see the weapon she would be using and the equipment as well. Jzak, reading her thoughts as well as Valkyrion Saga, ordered her to go and open the two chests from the left, which meant the chest near Jzak belonged to the chooser of the Slain. He also went forth to check out his new addition.

It turned out to be a Mage Slayer crossbow, which was very strong against any magic user type of enemy. The darts it fired were magical and would carry devastation force.

"Mage Slayer, Saga," Jzak explained as Saga considered the weapon in his hands. He'd heard of special weapons like that back when he was residing in Tartakus. Creatures weak to those weapons feared them as much as any being who had confronted ancient Saga had. "It will come very handy in your missions. Handle it well, dimensional weapons break as well."

Saga nodded at her then glanced at Gretel, who patiently waited at the side, watching Ella.

As to Ella, she was happy to have brought out a pearly Razor Shaft, a powerful crossbow. For equipment, she received white Swuede Boots, two Elemental Guard gauntlets, the pearly Armor of Athens, an Anointed silver Tiara and a pendant known as Suguru’s Charm, which would render her impervious to fire magic.

Ella was able to put all those items on at once, after Jzak ordered it. Magically it was how the Einherjar was able to put the equipment on, all done by Jzak Freiya.

When the transformation was over, she looked like something from another world, a warrior who was ready to serve the Gods, an Einherjar in all its splendor. With a wide smile, she looked upon Saga, Gretel and Jzak, who nodded at her in return. Behind his creepy mask, Saga was impressed at the change in the young girl.

"She's now ready to aid you in case you need help dealing with any foes from any plane of existence," Jzak offered with a smile. “Even the dark realms.”

"And I thank you," Saga bowed at the goddess, feeling truly grateful.

And I as well. Ella said as she walked toward Saga, feeling more than ready to see action.

"I take my leave," Jzak announced shortly after. “Though before I do I want to have a word with you alone, Saga, so come walk with me. Gretel?"

"Yes, sister?" Gretel asked.

"Remain with Ella, explain to her better how the weapon works."

"You got it," Gretel said. Ella walked towards Gretel more than eager to learn from her.

Jzak took off in a fast walk, and Saga followed her as she led him away from the two females.

"The war with the dark forces is not going well,” Jzak announced with a worried tone once they were far from the females and deeper into the long ancient ruined room. She stopped her walk and considered her surroundings, meanwhile, Saga remained standing behind her. Jzak turned to regard him, she stood just a foot away from Saga and rested a hand on his right shoulder, which made Saga raise his eyebrows behind his mask, the god feeling very surprised. "Not good for us," Jzak added, uncaring of his surprised look. the goddess had been counting the seconds to see him and lay her hands on him again. "I even feel a little nervous handing over my sister to your service."

"What is the matter?" Saga was concerned, and then he found out in his mind that he really did not mind having the beautiful goddess touching his shoulder, though it felt a little weird. "Have Brahms' forces become too much to handle up there?"

“The creatures are pressing us even harder ever since you came down here. Saga, the All-Mother believes there is a traitor in the heavens, in our very own ranks. She fears Brahms knows already that you still exist, that you did not die. Lenneth fears Brahms may send his forces on to you soon. Listen to me," and her hold on him became tighter, her stare very deep and serious. "You need to gather a few more warriors and head to that dark place...do it quickly, we need those gates closed or it could mean trouble for Valhalla."

Saga put a grim face behind his mask, not that Jzak would be seeing it, but he still showed his concern as he spoke with a nervous tone. “It's all my fault, if I hadn't attacked..."

"Saga," Jzak cut him short, knowing that the god was about to blame himself for what Valhalla was going through. "I know what you were about to say, but like I said before, that matters not now. What's done is done, we must look into solving the present problems. Even if we are having trouble because your attack left us weak, don't blame yourself, you are helping us solve that problem now."

Saga understood, and he relaxed just a bit and nodded at Jzak, just to assure her that he caught her message, she didn't want him to despair and blame himself for what Asgard was going through, even though all of it was mainly because of his past attack upon the heavens.

"I will be on my way to Gogot soon enough, but before we part ways here, I want you to tell me if I really handled myself well in my first task, you know, saving Ella..."

"I saw the whole deal through the mirror of life,” Jzak Freiya answered, unable to lie. “I was watching beside the All-Mother. Yes, you did as was expected, you were successful in summoning her soul on to the pendant, you did very good, Lady Lenneth is very pleased.” and so am I, Jzak would have added, but she thought that would be going too far. Still, the goddess was very pleased at the way Valkyrion Saga had handled himself during his first ever mission, and she was very proud of him, even though she did not seem to show it.

“That is all I needed to hear," said Saga, feeling satisfied that he had not messed anything up. "If there is anything else you want to tell me now would be the time."

"Just for you to be cautious," Jzak added momentarily after having remained staring at him for a while. "Your task will become more complicated when you go to Gogot, from what I have heard, it is not a pleasant place for a walk. So...just be careful out there, and please look after my younger sister, she's the only thing I have, besides my mother. You know what I mean though, right?"

Saga responded with a nod. "I will look after her, don't worry."

“Alright," Jzak sighed and removed her hand from his hardened shoulder. "I trust your words. I must leave now, you know how sorely pressed we are up there. Gretel will be able to take care of all your needs, Saga, ask her anything if you need information on something, I am sure she will be able to clear any doubts.”

"I will, Jzak." Saga smiled at her, but Jzak did not witness the smile, and Saga knew that.

Jzak considered him for a while, and then finally said she needed to be off.

Saga watched as the goddess departed yet again by disappearing in plain view. Sad that she was gone again, Saga walked back to where Gretel and Ella awaited. Glancing upon the goddess, Saga spoke, "I believe we better get moving too. Are you ready to come along, Gretel? Our road will be long, weary and full of dangers."

"You bet I am ready," Gretel seemed more than eager to get going. “The Lady Lenneth has put me under your service, so let us go, I don’t want to disappoint her nor you, Saga.”

She used her magical rod to make the empty chests disappear from view. “Ready when you are, Valkyrion Saga.”

"And you?" Saga glanced upon Ella's fair face.

I am ready, master Saga. Ella grinned, holding her crossbow as if it was a valuable prize she had just won in a contest.

"Good, because you will be using that bow of yours very soon. Are you ready to return to your home inside the pendant, then?"

I sure am, Master.

"A moment, Saga," Gretel intervened before Saga could summon Ella into the pendant, and she moved closer to Saga, who regarded her and nodded.

He saw, as did Ella, as the goddess once again used her magical rod to summon some sort of chest. This one was of a reddish color with yellow stripes. Standing beside the chest, Gretel threw the lid open and Saga and Ella were able to see the contents within.

To their amazement, they saw what seemed to be blue pears.

"If you are hungry why don't you go ahead and have one?" she smiled at them both. "One of these güayabas will satisfy your hunger, and it possesses all the nutrients your body needs. I surely am hungry, my sister didn't even give me time to feast up before coming here." Gretel grabbed one of the bluish güayabas and let Saga and Ella do the same.

Saga approached the chest and took a pear, staring at it curiously. During his stay in the palace he had not eaten this kind of fruit, rather he had been fed other kinds of assorted fruits. With the güayaba in his hand, he watched as Ella took one and right away took a bite out of it, as had Gretel to hers.

Oh yum! This is...Delicious! And Saga watched as Ella devoured the pear in less than a minute, the young archer going as far as licking her fingers afterward. May I have another one? she eagerly looked at Gretel.

"Of course," Gretel laughed lightly in response. "You may have as many as you want, there is an ample supply here, and if we run out, I can always return to Valhalla and bring more, perhaps even other types of fruit for us to enjoy."

There was nothing to say, Ella grabbed another pear and ate it, though she ate this next one slowly, truly enjoying it. She noticed, as did Gretel, that Saga was not eating, he just stood watching them do so, they both wondered why he wasn’t eating.

"Are you not hungry, Saga?" Gretel asked.

"I uh..." Saga started to say but he stopped in mid sentence, for how could he explain it to them? "I uh...I cannot eat while you two watch me. If I were to eat, I would need to remove my mask. Up in Valhalla I ate in my room fully engulfed within a globe of darkness so as to keep intrusive eyes from finding out my true semblance. I think I will do something similar to that here."

"Alright," Gretel put in with a joyous tone. "Well you do what you have to do, Saga, we have no objection to that."

Saga nodded at her and then started to walk away and came to sit on a fallen pillar, which was broken in half. Ella and Gretel remained where they were, and knowing Saga was seeking to be alone in order to eat, they even turned around and let him eat in peace within his globe of darkness, which the Valkyrion summoned a few seconds later. Upon giving the fruit his first bite he understood why Ella had eaten the first one in a hurry, the güayaba was indeed delicious.

About five minutes later, with their hunger satisfied, Saga said that it was time to go.

“I am ready,” Gretel announced moments after she had made the fruit chest disappear.

As am I, Master. My belly is happier than ever, for never before had I tasted such delicious fruit.

“Very well...back to your home you go." He summoned her back to the pendant and asked Gretel whether she would be able to fly or not.

In response, Gretel sprouted her pair of magical Angelus feathery wings, which were not attached to her back, rather had just appeared magically for her use. Valkyrion Saga rose a surprised eyebrow behind his creepy mask.

"I guess that answers my question," he chuckled lightly, and Gretel laughed blithely with one hand covering her mouth.

Moments later, Valkyrion Saga and Jzak's sister headed flying off to the west, where they noticed the weather was awful.

(End of Chapter 5)​

Eduarda

Nice chapter ^^ I couldn't find any mistakes here. So there's a companion to the quest I see :D I can't wait to read what'll happen next :)

Edit: First post this time :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom