• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Give Up on It or Keep Going?

C

cherold

I just wanted to say that I'm impressed by how nice y'all are here. It's always tricky saying, "I don't like your favorite game," and you never know the reaction you'll get, but no one has said an unkind word to me, even though a couple of you got a little heated with one another, and plenty of you said, in effect, "do whatever feels right to you." Thanks so much.

I'm having a great time with MM, BTW. It's one of the most brilliantly conceived games I've ever played. Not perfect, but brilliant.

Rishian

The Meat Shield
I would have to agree with most of the people above. Continue playing it, HOWEVER, perhaps you would like to put it down for a month or so. In that way, you will have a fresher experience.

SS, TP, WW, are all games that were born from the majestic thing that is OoT. It would only be failing yourself to not play it, give it the time it deserves, and you will see what I am talking about.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
I'm a latecomer to Zelda as the first game I played in the series was Wind Waker, followed by Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword. Since I loved all of these, I thought I'd check out some of the older Zelda titles, and since I've often heard Ocarina of Time described as the best game in the series, I decided to check it out.

I know exactly how you feel. But while Majora's Mask was my first Zelda and I didn't get into the later titles until a few years afterwards, MM somehow stole the show for me. It showed me the "magic" that I wanted all Zelda titles to have. I suppose that's typically what comes from the primary experience in a series—what you first see is what you get. It's all about the initial impression. Well, that's not how it happened for everybody, but in my case it is true.

So those who played Ocarina of Time first got to feel its magic without it being "polluted" by the the other games. In my own experience, Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess preceded it. Together they must've found a way to thwart that magic (especially if TP, a supposed copy of it, was played first =P), but that didn't tamper with my enjoyment of OoT. Compared to those two titles, it just felt like a straightforward game, again in my own separate playthrough. It had a great time-traveling means integrated into the story, but Majora's Mask enhanced it with the 3-Day system over the child/adult phases, which should be coming up once you finish Jabu-Jabu's belly. And TP improved OoT's experience before I even got to it, but that's just me.

Nevertheless, I highly recommend you continue with Ocarina of Time. It's story and temples just get better after the child dungeons are complete. Attaining the Master Sword is the point that made the game for me; that's where my enjoyment launched itself forward. But be warned: A couple of the upcoming dungeons might frustrate you to no end. Don't let that dishearten you, though, and same with Jabu-Jabu. They're literally diminished by the overall greatness of this title.

cherold said:
After the first reply I thought, maybe I'll check out the other Zelda game I have, Majora's Mask. It's phenomenal so far. It's the first Zelda game I've ever played that is immediately exciting, and a few hours in I absolutely love it. Since a lot of people suggest things will open up a lot after the fish section I probably will go back and try some more of OoT at some point, but for now it's MM all the way.

I almost missed this reply. I'm pleased to see that you're enjoying it. Out of all the Zeldas, Majora's Mask probably has the best introduction, as it immediately casts you straight into the story without needing to do mundane tasks beforehand.

I say keep going. The first couple of hours of gameplay in OoT are nothing compared to what comes up later.

It is natural to have doubts. I felt the same experience when trying out many games (my most notable ones being Tales of Symphonia and Resident Evil 4). The more I played, however, the more I came to like them.

So yeah, I recommend carrying on.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
You're new you say? I'm not saying you should stop playing, but if you don't like "same ol, same ol" you might not find yourself being a big fan of the Zelda series as a whole.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Ocarina of Time makes for a great entry into the 3D series of Zelda games. Obviously, because it sets the standard for every 3D Zelda title since. However, if you have already played more recent 3D Zelda titles, then Ocarina of Time can come off as feeling a bit lacking.

Not that I think OoT's grandeur has diminished at all with time, but newer more advanced titles can make OoT pale in comparison. If you're not already enjoying it and nothing has captured you, then IMO nothing's gonna change after the fire temple. Many claim the Water Temple to be difficult. It's certainly different than the other dungeons, but it is the Shadow Temple that poses the greatest challenge to me. Around that time, other than the difficulty spike, the game has more or less settled into the same formula until its conclusion. The conclusion is epic, to be sure, but if you don't think it's worth playing towards it, then you probably don't have much incentive to continue.

I absolutly hated jabu jabu's belly. But the game gets much more interesting when you get the hookshot and the story deepens. Just take a break then come back. Or maybe go side questing.

I agree with a lot of what has been said. I have only been playing Zelda games for about a year and a half now, started with TP. From there I got OoT because of all the things I read on here about it. Went on to SS, then MM, and LoZ. Have not beaten any of them yet, but I do find that when I get frustrated or bored putting it down for awhile does help. I don't want to feel like I am forcing myself to play a game. When I come back to it the experience is better because I want to play.

That all being said, I love OoT!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom