• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Ghirahim and the Twilis

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
If I didn't know where SS was in the timeline the first time I played it, I would've thought Ghirahim was a twili the first time I saw him. He has that pale skin with darker markings like Midna and Zant, and the magic he uses resembles twilight magic. As we find out, he's a sword spirit. But he could have a connection.

The ancestors of the twilis are known as the dark interlopers, who were punished for trying to steal the triforce. Ghirahim's master, Demise, also wanted it. Maybe the dark interlopers were people who followed Demise, eons after the demon followers were gone? There was that curse at the end of the game that insured that Demise's evil would be around forever...and the forces of good would have to deal with it forever.

Do you think this could be possible?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I thought he was an interloper when I first saw him. It could well be Demise's demon tribe would go on to be those interlopers spoken of in TP.

I thought he was an interloper when I first saw him. It could well be Demise's demon tribe would go on to be those interlopers spoken of in TP.

Almost EVERYONE thought the same thing. I couldn't believe my eyes when I stumbled upon this thread and saw this theory again—it's been a while. I can still remember people comparing the way that Ghirahim teleports to the way of the Twili.

But yeah, it seems Nintendo is either toying with us or is in some kind of
creative slump. I find it staggering how many allusions and seemingly direct signs of a "Dark Tribe" or "Dark Interloper" or whatever there are in the series. A lot of the time, I think, "Okay, it's just another dark magic-wielding tribe that has no relation to those other dark magic-wielding tribes from the other games," and it seems they're always mentioned in hindsight. But when I saw Ghirahim, my hopes of the dark tribe being revealed was rekindled, doubly so when Skyward Sword was said to be an origin story.

But alas, during the latter parts of the game, it is revealed that Ghirahim is, like Fi, a sword spirit. Granted, he's different in a variety of ways—some unseen—but this seems to somehow lower the odds of him being a Dark Interloper (in my opinion). Or does it? I dunno, as we were never given a single clue as to what the Dark Interlopers were—as in, which race or set of races they were. I mean, were there any sword spirits among them?

Demise on the other hand...

Dragoncat

He doesn't necessarily have to be an interloper himself. I was thinking something along the lines of a cult not worshiping Hylia and the golden goddesses, instead they worship Demise, and they were given the dark magic as a gift/Demise saying "thanks, now get the triforce that I failed to get so many years ago". Ganondorf is supposed to be an "incarnation" of Demise's hatred for his enemies. And guess who made Zant's powers stronger? That's a theory thread in itself...but things are lining up well.

You make a good point, but honestly, I don't see this as all too likely-- mainly because, as usual...*sigh*... the timeline.

At least from where I see it, the Interloper Wars are most likely situated in the Era of Chaos, presumably just one (perhaps the most dangerous) of many peoples attempting to steal the the Triforce-- years and years after Skyward Sword.
But this shouldn't be a problem, right? I mean, Ghirahim's somewhat of an eternal being. The real difficulty lies in the fact that we don't actually know what happened to Ghirahim after Link's battle with Demise. He just sort of disappears into an expanse of nothingness-- was he sent away, or did he escape? Or did he die with Demise? Did he return to Hylia's Realm, or was he trapped in Demise's Side-realm as it collapsed in on him? We just don't know; that entire course of events was too unclear to properly deduce anything.

So, a tribal offshoot of Ghirahim, who may or may not have been completely obliterated, miraculously reappears in Hyrule generations after the sealing of Demise, with a fruitless plan to recapture the Triforce for absolutely no reason, in a time when there's already bloodlust for the Triforce unrelated to the demon tribe entirely? It just doesn't click with me.

What also doesn't seem right here is the actual magic used by both tribes: Ghirahim is in possession of a very otherworldly, legitimate magic (seeing as he's an otherworldly being), while the Interlopers, from what I can deduce, utilize a false, artificial magic of their own creation. It seems as though the Interlopers were highly skilled, Hylian sorcerers who were perhaps influenced by the legacy let by Ghirahim and the Demon Tribe, but weren't truly relatedto him or his people in any way.

That being said, I approach Hyrule from a very political, historical perspective, so most of the mythological phenomena doesn't sit well with me.

Dragoncat

It seems as though the Interlopers were highly skilled, Hylian sorcerers who were perhaps influenced by the legacy let by Ghirahim and the Demon Tribe, but weren't truly relatedto him or his people in any way.
That's pretty what I was saying. To me, the demon tribe was the species Batreaux was. He was a rare occurance because he was friendly, where as the rest of them were bloodthirsty and evil. The interlopers were a cult of humans, not demons...

That's pretty what I was saying. To me, the demon tribe was the species Batreaux was. He was a rare occurance because he was friendly, where as the rest of them were bloodthirsty and evil. The interlopers were a cult of humans, not demons...

Forgive me, then-- it sounded as though you were implying Ghirahim and the Interlopers were connected directly, but I now see what you meant.

In that case, what you're saying is entirely plausible. The two share many similar traits, after all, so I wouldn't be surprised. I don't think there's any connection in terms of lineage, but, to quote Victor Hugo, "One can resist invading armies; one cannot resist an invasion of ideas." I'd say this holds true for Hyrule and the Interlopers just as it holds true in our history.

Dragoncat

Haha, apology accepted. Welcome to ZD, btw...it's fun here, just don't feed the trolls. We seem to be having an infestation of them lately.

Interesting quote you put in there. Victor Hugo wrote Hunchback of Notre Dame, right? That used to be one of my favorite Disney movies...I was Quasimodo for Halloween like 3 years in a row. I was a strange child. Granted, the original author of a story turned Disney movie never has any say in it because they're dead, but yeah.

Hey, thanks. Been around the site for several years now, I just never took the initiative to... y'know... do... anything.

And yeah, Victor Hugo wrote The Hunchback of Notre Dame, though he's more well known for Les Miserables.

Don't want to go off topic, though, so I'll shut up. As for the theory, you've got me thinking-- seriously thinking. I think it'd be interesting to look deeper into this-- to search for that missing link, as with most theories-- and, as with most theories, it'll probably be found in the most obscure of places.

hwrdjacob

The Nintendo Knight
My opinion about Demise, is I think he is Hyrule's equivalent of the devil. Think about it, directly opposing Hylia (as opposed to Ganon not really having any beef with them and just all like "Give me mah Triforce!"), emerging from a "fissure in the ground" (hell is usually thought to be underground), being sealed away by Hylia (similar to God banishing Lucifer from Heaven after his rebellion), having an inverted Triforce on his "Dark Master Sword" (An inverted Triforce, outside of ALBW, is sometimes theorized to be a symbol of blasfamy against the Three Goddesses and possibly Hylia) and, what really sells this for me, being described as "The source of all monsters". I don't think I need to explain the connection between Demise/Satan with the last one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom