• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ghira Definition.

Deku-Jack

The Garo Master
Ghira: This arabic word covers a wide meaning - self-respect, jealousy (as regards women) and it is a feeling of fury with great anger when one's honour and prestige is challenged or injured.

Thoughts?

Brandikins

Airbending Slice!
Woah, now here's someone who actually looks things up instead of just making up wild theories on the top of your head. The him in his name might just mean he's a male, but that part was obvious.

Maybe he became evil because he was jealous of someone else.

There are tons of theories on ZD forums surrounding Lord Ghirahim's name, and many people have found multiple origins to the "Ghira" part of his name. Most of them are "diamond", "pride", and I myself found "darkness," but I guess it couldn't hurt for there to be an entire thread discussing Lord Ghirahim's (Ghee-ruh-Heem) name. =/

Here's the link to my theory. http://zeldadungeon.net/forum/showthread.php?19731-One-of-Seven The replies to my post contain a lot of possible origins to Lord Ghirahim's name, especially the "diamond theme." There's also been proposed the idea that the entire game might have a diamond-based theme...:yes:

Deku-Jack

The Garo Master
This one seems to be the definition of the Arabic word. Either way, it seems to match Ghirahim nicely.

This one seems to be the definition of the Arabic word. Either way, it seems to match Ghirahim nicely.
Yes, I agree. One can really tell that a great amount of time and effort was put into Lord Ghirahim's overall character, design, and personality. The meaning of his name sounds, and is most likely intentional. ^^

Ghira: This arabic word covers a wide meaning - self-respect, jealousy (as regards women) and it is a feeling of fury with great anger when one's honour and prestige is challenged or injured.
Fascinating, actually, because that's basically an exact description of Ghirahim, as we've seen him. Massive arrogance, vanity, and pride are basically Ghirahim's core personality traits. It's even indicated strongly in the way he dresses; it's vanity, he intentionally looks extravagant, dressing in excess.

The second part also fits him just as well, as it works with his pride and status, or at least the way he considers himself. They clearly had the original definition in mind when they used it to make his name.

...Also, since it's Arabic, it supports my theory about Sheik being among his group since Sheik is also an Arabic word. :P

Either way, kudos for finding this, Deku-Jack!

Ariel

Think for yourself.
There are tons of theories on ZD forums surrounding Lord Ghirahim's name, and many people have found multiple origins to the "Ghira" part of his name. Most of them are "diamond", "pride", and I myself found "darkness," but I guess it couldn't hurt for there to be an entire thread discussing Lord Ghirahim's (Ghee-ruh-Heem) name. =/

Here's the link to my theory. http://zeldadungeon.net/forum/showthread.php?19731-One-of-Seven The replies to my post contain a lot of possible origins to Lord Ghirahim's name, especially the "diamond theme." There's also been proposed the idea that the entire game might have a diamond-based theme...:yes:

Yes, I have to agree.

Sorry to take the wind from beneath your wings, this isn't new. Though, it has not been explored fully yet.

"Him/ham" is a very arabic suffix, as in Ibrahim, Abraham (both originating from the same name). Though I'm not sure what the Arabic region has to do with anything. Just about every culture has its worship of the sun, a legend about a "heaven" and conversely "an underworld". Though, the Arabic region is a bit of a hub for the three major Abrahamic religions, so there might be further reference to this.

And as noted before "hira" means diamond in Sanskrit, which is at the very least, convenient.

Wow, I looked it up and believe it or not, you are right!! Thats very creative. :)

Deku-Jack

The Garo Master
Fascinating, actually, because that's basically an exact description of Ghirahim, as we've seen him. Massive arrogance, vanity, and pride are basically Ghirahim's core personality traits. It's even indicated strongly in the way he dresses; it's vanity, he intentionally looks extravagant, dressing in excess.

The second part also fits him just as well, as it works with his pride and status, or at least the way he considers himself. They clearly had the original definition in mind when they used it to make his name.

...Also, since it's Arabic, it supports my theory about Sheik being among his group since Sheik is also an Arabic word. :P

Either way, kudos for finding this, Deku-Jack!

No problem, I had similar thoughts when I first found out the definition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom