• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Getting into a new-to-you franchise

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
If there's a game/series you're eyeing that has had multiple installments in the past, what's your approach for wanting to get into it? Do you start w/ the most recent or upcoming entry? Do you try to go back and seek out an earlier one? And how much research do you put in to knowing where you want to start, if any?

I know this is a case by case thing since for some franchises, it's better to start w/ the latest game(s) than others, but just in a general sense, what's been your approach in the past?

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Legend
I go with the one where the fanbase has a general consensus on what is the best representation of the series.

Hence why I started with Phoenix Wright: Trials and Tribulations, and then I eventually have bought that franchise on multiple platforms.

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
I really like starting with the first one. If I don't like the first one all I have to do is say I didn't like it and the fans will make it quite clear whether or not the other games are similar or not

A Link In Time

To Overcome Harder Challenges
ZD Legend
I prefer starting with the first entry of a series if possible, but I'm sometimes hesitant to do so when the first game is 3rd generation or older. I think game design has come a long way since those days. That's why I ultimately got into Dragon Quest with 7 and not 1, but I'd like to finally play 1 when its HD-2D remake drops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom