• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Gerudo

B

beta

well ive always been curious about the gerudo, so i created my own theory (its more or less just a fanfic) essentially i said that a male gerudo is the only one with the ability to produce another male, and that the females are produced by some other means (hylain boyfriends)

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
Yeah, I thought about this too when I first played through the game.
They're all women. If there is no man, they would all die out.
Then again, it is just game, so I'm not going to much into detail with this.

once again, there is a truth stone that says that the Gerudo females go and find Hylian boyfriends. that means that they most likely reproduce with them.

well ive always been curious about the gerudo, so i created my own theory (its more or less just a fanfic) essentially i said that a male gerudo is the only one with the ability to produce another male, and that the females are produced by some other means (hylain boyfriends)

depending on the average lifespan of a Gerudo (more specifically a male Gerudo), this could be true.

maybe after impregnating a female, the male Gerudo dies. that could be why there is only one male Gerudo at a time every 100 years.

wasn't it established somewhere.. like a Gossip Stone that Gerudo mate with humans/hylians to reproduce? Also I thin that the Gerudo desert is not really looked at as part of the kingdom so their involvement in most of the games would be unnecessary... Don't worry.. they'll be back.

A

AeroCanyon

:)If you talk to one of the gossip stones out side of the temple of time with the mask of truth, it says something like: "BIONG BIONG, sometimes the Gerudos come into town for boyfriends!" I hope that answered your question about Gerudo children.although it wont matter if some ones already said that.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Twili are not the Gerudo.. while the back story is similar to the events of OoT.... the Twili were magic users. the Gerudo never used magic and never had the fused shadow..

T

Twilight Mask

I seem to remember reading somewhere, that the lady in TP that drives on the cart to kakariko from castle town (with Ilia in and the zora prince) is a gerudo descendant. It is possible after all of the gerudo disapearing all of a sudden, maybe they just hid or maybe they were wiped out by the twili when the world was covered in twilight? I dunno.

I seem to remember reading somewhere, that the lady in TP that drives on the cart to kakariko from castle town (with Ilia in and the zora prince) is a gerudo descendant. It is possible after all of the gerudo disapearing all of a sudden, maybe they just hid or maybe they were wiped out by the twili when the world was covered in twilight? I dunno.

Telma was her name... I also saw that some think she could be a descendant of the Gerudo. The designs on her clothes and the jewelry she wears would certainly support it. And her skin tone and hair also. Gerudo generaly have blunted ears... at least in OoT and WW.... Though Telma's pointed ears could just be deluded by 100 years of cross-breeding with Hylians. The OoT gerudo were rumored to take mates from Hylia but there were far more regular humans in that game than Hylians.

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
Telma was her name... I also saw that some think she could be a descendant of the Gerudo. The designs on her clothes and the jewelry she wears would certainly support it. And her skin tone and hair also. Gerudo generaly have blunted ears... at least in OoT and WW.... Though Telma's pointed ears could just be deluded by 100 years of cross-breeding with Hylians. The OoT gerudo were rumored to take mates from Hylia but there were far more regular humans in that game than Hylians.

Yes, the Gerudo would get boyfriends in Hyrule, so that would undoubtedly call for interracial offspring. However, the theory that Telma might be of Gerudo descent is a fan-based assumption, and nothing of her descent was ever mentioned in the game or any interviews. I do not think that the character designer took Telma's descent into consideration... I think she's just one of those characters they designed to not look like another white person. Other examples would be Hena and Coro, who look Hispanic. Telma looks more african than anything, just with lighter skin. She has the facial structure of a black woman, the large lips, and the stereotypical dreads. I think she's just another character meant to give diversity to the game.

I think too many people jump to the conclusion that a character is Gerudo based on their dark skin or red hair. I mean, some people even think Din is Gerudo.... but really, you have to take design into consideration. Red hair is usually given to characters with a lot of spirit. Nabooru, Malon, Marin, Telma, Din... they are all characters with a bit of a sparky personality, hence their red hair.

As for their existance in other games... I don't know. With TWW, I lean towards the belief that they died out. Afterall, they were suffering due to the condition of their land. On top of that, Hyrule was flooded, and I don't really think they'd have been spared, being Ganondorf's followers and all.

In TP... eh, I lean towards the belief that they might be the ones the Twili are descended from. I notice most resemblences in design- Gerudo designs are all over Zant's clothing, remnants of red hair... snake designs were used in Gerudo designs (statues, mirrors, etc) and can also be found in Twili designs. The Twili used magic and the Gerudo had some magic (ice arrows, witches, etc). But, of course, that's just speculation and has yet to be proven, so I don't put too much thought into it as I'd rather stick to what is canon.

And then their life spans.... I don't know whether Koume and Kotake lived so long because of their Gerudo blood or because of their witchcraft, but Ganondorf does show some aging in OoT, mainly in his hair and a tiny bit of his face. Nabooru, on the other hand, doesn't seem to age in 7 years time while other characters like Ruto and Malon do. Perhaps Gerudo have longer lifespans that other races, but maybe not. There isn't much proof aside from visual evidence, and even that doesn't tell us very much. In any case, the Gerudo women do find mates of different blood. Maybe male leaders such as Ganondorf have multiple wives. Who knows.

TVTMaster

Guy What's Angry Now
I'm pretty sure that the Dark Interlopers weren't all Gerudo per se- for one thing, Telma appears to be of Gerudo descent, as well as a few other suspicious NPCs in TP. The DIs were likely kind of a cult, formed primarily of Gerudo and Sheikah. The Sheikah, if you remember, were all but wiped out in the Civil War, and only a small remnant remained as the most loyal retainers in the Hylian kingdom. So it seems that the DIs were Sheikah, Gerudo, and possibly a number of the other races, and the Twili are basically an amalgation of the different DI races plus whatever mutation the Twilight Realm caused.

Note that the Gerudo were still present in OoT- so clearly the entire Gerudo race was not the DIs/Twili. Some remained, and were likely dispersed/wiped out when the Hylians invaded the desert and transformed the Spirit Temple into the Arbiter's Grounds. Telma is likely a remnant of the Gerudo left over from the invasion.

HerosDescendant

Link/Starfire.
A Gerudo Theory

I think the Gerudo do have male babies before the 100 years. However, I believe they kill any male babies they have before then, possibly because of some grudge they've developed against males that has to do with the males that used to be within their tribe, perhaps something to do with my theory that the Gerudo (preferrably the males) used Majora's Mask. That could explain why they were banished into the desert, and when they were banished, they drove the males deeper into the desert.

I think it really means that the Gerudo allow one male to be born every one hundred years.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
it makes no sense that they kill every male BUT one. If they had a grudge against males then they would most likely just kill all males. There is absolutely no reason to only keep one male around, let alone make that male their king if they despise him so much.

Also, since the Gerudo are really only heavily spoken of in one game (OoT) and there is absolutely no evidence to support this, it's probably safe to assume that it's a false theory.

It would have been mentioned in the game if this was the case.

They wouldn't kill all males out of hate and then keep one to make their leader. It would completely go against the whole idea of hating them.

HerosDescendant

Link/Starfire.
it makes no sense that they kill every male BUT one. If they had a grudge against males then they would most likely just kill all males. There is absolutely no reason to only keep one male around, let alone make that male their king if they despise him so much.

Also, since the Gerudo are really only heavily spoken of in one game (OoT) and there is absolutely no evidence to support this, it's probably safe to assume that it's a false theory.

It would have been mentioned in the game if this was the case.

They wouldn't kill all males out of hate and then keep one to make their leader. It would completely go against the whole idea of hating them.

But perhaps they would need the tactical and militaristic mind that males usually have, so that would be a reason for they're one exception. The Gerudo are warriors after all, and they would need a strong leader, and strength is usually associated with men (no offense to all of the female fans out there. I don't believe this myself, but the Gerudo might have).

TVTMaster

Guy What's Angry Now
So your general theory is based entirely on the assumption that the Gerudo were just extremely sexist. I mean, yeah, they were, at least to those butt-ugly pervert carpenters, but Link earned their respect and stuff. Just doesn't seem probable.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
But perhaps they would need the tactical and militaristic mind that males usually have, so that would be a reason for they're one exception. The Gerudo are warriors after all, and they would need a strong leader, and strength is usually associated with men (no offense to all of the female fans out there. I don't believe this myself, but the Gerudo might have).

This entire theory is based entirely on theories. Everything you just stated is never hinted to in this game or any other game in the series.

This is what we know. The Gerudo were pushed to the deserts for whatever reasons. One male is born every 100 years and is their king. The Gerudo hate men except their king.

That's all we know about the Gerudo, thus, one can assume that this is the only important and relevant information about them.

I'm pretty sure the game specifically says that only one male is "born" every 100 years.

If that is what it says then that is what it means. If it was meant to be one male allowed to live every 100 years, then that would have been stated and explained, but it's not.

Also, if they wanted the assumed tactical knowledge and strength of the male, where would the male learn it? He would have to learn all of his knowledge from the only other Gerudos around, the females. With that in mind, this would mean that the Gerudos would have the same tactical knowledge which would make it unnecessary for a male Gerudo to do such things. Also, if they only wanted their tactical knowledge then they would make that male the general or tactician, not give him power over the entire tribe.

This theory is flawed because it's based on other theories and goes completely against what the series says.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom