• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Gears of War 4

I don't think it's fair to judge a game based on its chainsaw/gore. So what if the graphics aren't that good? Monster Hunter 3 U was essentially a Wii game, but it was still fantastic.

I feel this is the problem with PS4 and XBO gamers as a whole. If the graphics don't impress, then the game is probably not going to be any good. Yes, that is a gross generalization, but that's how it seems.
It's not just the graphics that feel underwhelming, it's the game play too. IDK it just seems like the same old gears with little added. I'm no gears expert, I've only played 1.

But like an example of the kind of leaps that I like to see is Uncharted 4. Now you have a grapple hook, you have completely different types of purchasables like being able to buy AI support characters, etc. I guess I just haven't seen much that makes me think Gears of 4 will do enough to feel like a 2016 Gears game. I remember seeing Gears 1 footage back in the day and it was really something, but Gears 4 just doesn't have that wow factor for me anymore. I'll still get it if it comes to PC but nothing I've seen so far has blown me away.

Viral Maze

Verb the adjective noun
I can see what you're saying @DoomDash
Graphics I don't really care about as it is just the beta, but I do agree with the gameplay looking like the other games in the series. I hope there is more to it to make it fresh again, and I can't wait to try out the beta when it releases later. The only thing I know that is new is pulling enemies over cover to your side so you can kill them.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
It's not just the graphics that feel underwhelming, it's the game play too. IDK it just seems like the same old gears with little added. I'm no gears expert, I've only played 1.

But like an example of the kind of leaps that I like to see is Uncharted 4. Now you have a grapple hook, you have completely different types of purchasables like being able to buy AI support characters, etc. I guess I just haven't seen much that makes me think Gears of 4 will do enough to feel like a 2016 Gears game. I remember seeing Gears 1 footage back in the day and it was really something, but Gears 4 just doesn't have that wow factor for me anymore. I'll still get it if it comes to PC but nothing I've seen so far has blown me away.

Oh I see now. Well, I don't think there's much you can expect with games like this. Gears of War is what it is. It's not a deep game. It's a shooter. There is only so much you can do with a game in this genre. It will be interesting to see what the developers do with the added power, but essentially, I was just expecting a similar game to what we got with the 360.

Mido

Version 1
Has anyone tried out the beta yet, whether during the closed or open (and current) time frame? I played some of it yesterday, and I am glad to see that the classic Gears control scheme is back in business! Otherwise, the gameplay was business as usual; i.e. everyone running amok with gnasher shotguns.

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
Unfortunately for Gears, Doom is coming out this year too. So I think people will be too excited about Doom to notice Gears 4.

Unfortunately for Gears, Doom is coming out this year too. So I think people will be too excited about Doom to notice Gears 4.

Doom will definitely generate a larger ripple due to being multiplatform, but Gears is one of the biggest Xbox exclusives and people will definitely be talking about it. The original Gears trilogy was acclaimed all around, and there's no current indication that Gears 4 won't live up to that standard. With Halo reviews and sales declining since 343 took over, there's a chance Gears of War becomes the new standard bearer for the Xbox brand.

Viral Maze

Verb the adjective noun

Gears 4 is shaping up pretty well. 1080p30fps for campaign and a silky smooth 1080p60fps for multiplayer.

Old man Marcus makes me excited. Especially his love for his tomatoes (first video, 3:51 mark).

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Can't wait for Gears 4. Love that Marcus is still around and that they didn't just totally do away with the original characters. Though, it really makes me wonder about Baird and Cole. Hopefully no one else has died yet and I swear, they better not kill off Marcus. Anyway, it's good to see that they can still breathe new life into this franchise with this new enemy robot faction. I've seen a bunch of whiny pussies bicthing about the robots yet JACK was a goddamn robot so it's not really too out there for the series. Also, is it just me or does this game not really look too next gen?

Mido

Version 1
Both videos brought smiles to my face, unfortunately, my Xbox One is not under my possession at this time so I will not be able to pick it up when the time comes. :( The campaign video really excited me, the style is still there and felt like vintage Gears. (Those tomatoes have seen better days!) The new weapons are also a neat feature to see. My expectations for this have definitely risen.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
What do you mean?

Don't get me wrong, it's not an ugly looking game but it just doesn't look as impressive as other games I've seen from this generation. It doesn't really look like much of a graphical leap from Gears 3. I could be wrong though. Hopefully the game looks a lot better when I'm actually playing it on my TV.

Viral Maze

Verb the adjective noun
Don't get me wrong, it's not an ugly looking game but it just doesn't look as impressive as other games I've seen from this generation. It doesn't really look like much of a graphical leap from Gears 3. I could be wrong though. Hopefully the game looks a lot better when I'm actually playing it on my TV.

Yeah I can see what you mean. Gears have always been good looking games, so yeah Gears 4 doesn't seem like a huge leap from 3. I think once the game is out, we'll have better comparisons then, but it still looks very sharp, especially as it is native 1080p. The second video, at the 0:20 mark, the dude's hair looks very sharp. Overall, I just see very good textures, and that might be all that separates these games.
Don't compare the beta images though. Its old code, even at the time of the beta I think, so things were low res and low texture.

Mido

Version 1
Well, we have only a matter of a couple of days before Gears of War 4 releases (unless one purchased the Ultimate Edition). On the topic of editions, I just wanted to ask what everyone's bought/or are considering buying when it comes to various editions of the game?

Viral Maze

Verb the adjective noun
I'm just going to get the standard edition. I'm a standard edition kind of guy. I won't get the game at launch (already bought Horizon 3) but I'll pick it up closer to 2017. I think most, if not all the DLC will be multiplayer content, and while the multiplayer is great, I suck pretty hard at it, so I'm not worried about the season pass not being included in the standard edition or MP character skins. Just give me campaign, split-screen and Horde v3.0 and I'm happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom