• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Gears of War 4

Viral Maze

Verb the adjective noun
So Gears 4 is slated to come out in October of this year, and they just released their first trailer here:

It looks like they were going for the same feeling evoked by the original Gears of War trailer, or those of its sequels, and I think they succeeded.

A lot of details have been coming out for the game recently after Game Informer did a piece on Gears 4 here: http://www.gameinformer.com/p/gears4.aspx

Notably, there is a larger focus on MP this time around. Multiplayer will run 60fps on dedicated servers (After play Titanfall and Halo 5, I never want dedicated servers to go away).
Campaign focuses on J.D. Fenix; Marcus's son (I seriously hope the D in J.D. stands for Dom) and his friends Kait Diaz and Delmont Walker.

I honestly can't wait for this game. The closed beta starts April 18th, and the open beta starts April 24th, so that should tide me over for a few months.

Mido

Version 1
That was such a nice tree.... :kawaii:

Anyways, I couldn't agree more. This was the first time I saw the trailer, and I think it was well done. While I have always been more of a private match guy when it comes to Gears, I'm glad to see that The Coalition is doing something neat for the multiplayer.

As far as the game goes in the grand scheme of things, I'm intrigued to see where the rest of this goes. Given that this will be the start of a new chapter in the saga, I hope everything goes well. If anything, I just want the controls to be good again! (The last game I played was Judgment, so I went through quite a mean phase back in 2013). I am confident, however, that the story will be interesting to follow. Ultimately, this game is highly anticipated on my end, as the Gears series has always been my go-to Microsoft exclusive as opposed to Halo (which, after Destiny, I think I want to return to it).

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I'm not a big multiplayer person. I only really care about the campaign story and I'll wait until it has been out for a bit before purchasing. If I am paying £50 for a game I want to be playing it for a decent amount of time. RPG's tend to be the ones worth buying as soon as they come out but shooters not so much unless you are into multiplayer.

I'm looking forward to experiencing the next chapter in the Gears of War series. The original trilogy rank amongst some of my favourite games so this is a title I'll be sure to pick up at some stage.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
I didnt' even get the first three games until they were free on Xbox Games for Gold. I doubt I'll get 4 anytime even close to its launch. Probably not for years. I don't like multiplayer games. Especially multiplayer game series where players tend to migrate to the next one and abandon the previous one so you're stuck with a game with multiplayer achievements you can't get. And my OCD will not allow that.

Viral Maze

Verb the adjective noun
I'm looking forward to experiencing the next chapter in the Gears of War series. The original trilogy rank amongst some of my favourite games so this is a title I'll be sure to pick up at some stage.

The original Gears of War comes off as a little 'dude-bro'ish but GoW 2 and 3 really showed those mountains of muscle have feelings. They pulled on my heartstrings through my cajones.

I don't like multiplayer games. Especially multiplayer game series where players tend to migrate to the next one and abandon the previous one so you're stuck with a game with multiplayer achievements you can't get. And my OCD will not allow that.

Makes sense, but Gears tended to have longer release schedules than yearly releases like CoD, or other sports games. Around a 2 year production cycle with Epic Games. Doubtful Microsoft would push Coalition into yearly releases as well since they haven't done that with 343i and Halo.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
I have the first three installed on my Xbox One. Forget about multiplayer, how good are their campaigns for just one person? I did play the second one a little bit with my nephew many years ago but only for a couple hours and don't remember much about it.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
I liked Gears of War. I thought the multiplayer was garbage, as most multiplayer shooters are, but I actually liked the story. And the game itself. It was good, old-fashioned, brainless fun. Testosterone infused killing, with chunks of blood, yelling, grunting, and plenty of bloom lighting effects. I had fun with the games.

This trailer actually looks really good. As far as XBO games go, this would be one exclusive that I would get, if I owned an XBO, as long as the single player campaign had some meat in it.

Mido

Version 1
I liked Gears of War. I thought the multiplayer was garbage, as most multiplayer shooters are, but I actually liked the story. And the game itself. It was good, old-fashioned, brainless fun. Testosterone infused killing, with chunks of blood, yelling, grunting, and plenty of bloom lighting effects. I had fun with the games.

This trailer actually looks really good. As far as XBO games go, this would be one exclusive that I would get, if I owned an XBO, as long as the single player campaign had some meat in it.

Oddly enough, that was one of the reasons why I wasn't a fan of the third game*, because most of the character unlockables came through multiplayer, which proved to be almost too time-consuming. Like I've mentioned before, in respect to the multiplayer, I really enjoy it, but I'm more of a local guy in this series and I wasn't a fan of constantly going online to unlock stuff; however, I digress. The meat of the series is the gripping story, and I expect an intriguing one!

*NOTE: I do not hate Gears 3, there are tons of awesome elements to it!

I watched some of the Gears 4 footage, I can't but help feeling extremely unimpressed. The graphics look like a 360 game in its current build, and maybe it's because of all the new Doom videos but the chainsaw/gore seem extremely underwhelming. I can't help but feel this might not be the modern Gears game we are looking for.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
I watched some of the Gears 4 footage, I can't but help feeling extremely unimpressed. The graphics look like a 360 game in its current build, and maybe it's because of all the new Doom videos but the chainsaw/gore seem extremely underwhelming. I can't help but feel this might not be the modern Gears game we are looking for.

I don't think it's fair to judge a game based on its chainsaw/gore. So what if the graphics aren't that good? Monster Hunter 3 U was essentially a Wii game, but it was still fantastic.

I feel this is the problem with PS4 and XBO gamers as a whole. If the graphics don't impress, then the game is probably not going to be any good. Yes, that is a gross generalization, but that's how it seems.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I have the first three installed on my Xbox One. Forget about multiplayer, how good are their campaigns for just one person? I did play the second one a little bit with my nephew many years ago but only for a couple hours and don't remember much about it.
I enjoyed the campaigns. It is better if you play with a friend though especially on Gears 1 because your AI teammates dont revive you in the first game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom