• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Gaming YouTube Channels

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
I tried searching a few keywords and I can't seem to find a thread dedicated to gaming YouTube channel awareness. If there is one, let me know and I'll delete this thread.

What are your favorite gaming YouTube channels? There are the obvious ones. Scott the Woz still holds up even all these years later. The Completionist suffered a couple years of incredibly lazy writing (I don't know if his channel is still having a tough time, hope it's improved). Did You Know Gaming is very...British, but informative and they make enough millions to get insider scoops which is awesome.

I want to shout out specifically one YouTube channel today. We've all watched Zeltik, Monster Maze, Commonwealth Realm, Hyrule Gamer, etc. but having followed plenty of Zelda channels for years, I tried something fun a couple months ago. I tried filtering my search results by most recent and that brought up a while list of aspiring gaming YouTubers who haven't paid thousands to manipulate the algorithm. A lot of these guys are...well, I appreciate the effort, but their videos are trash. But there are some guys who put in a lot of effort and have yet to get picked up by the algorithm. And without organic views, they may give up before achieving recognition. I suggest trying this method for finding small channels that deserve your views and I'm going to recommend one to get you started.

https://youtube.com/c/GamesAreCreative This dude does not have the budget to pay for views like BeatEmUps or Arlo but he has talent, inspiration, and drive and that's more than enough to earn a hundred times the views that he has. I'm seriously blown away at the work put into his videos and the disproportionally low view numbers his videos have. This guy does plenty of Zelda but also does a lot with other games. Really decent analysis. He reminds me of like a Boss Keys lite and for anyone who's watched that series, you know that's a compliment. And if you haven't watched Boss Keys...delete your account, go watch the series three times, then restore your account and report back here.

Anyway, check out Games Are Creative and tell me what your favorite gaming (especially Zelda) YouTube channels are so we can all enjoy the work these guys put in.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
Arlo pays for views?
I mean, big YouTubers do. At the very least, he did they creator's program and whatever Nintendo had quietly replaced it with. Not disparaging him, I'm just pointing out that channels that pay for algorithm boosts are not the only ones making great content. I'd love to hear about great YouTubers who have smaller channels. Was anybody around for HMK's BotW hype train?! Man, good times with these guys.

Last edited:

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
:ghello:

Tis I! The small gaming youtuber of the forums! Currently doing a blind playthorugh of Oracle of Ages ^^

Myself, I don't really watch anyone small. I guess the closest would be NintendoCapriSun, who is a very old classic LP channel with a lot of subs, but his views are very low these days in comparison

Apart from my friends, a lot of whom have dabbled in streaming, I admittedly don't really stick to specific channels for content anymore. I kinda just bounce around and find interesting videos. Think the problem you're describing of small channels not getting discovered is that people often won't venture out of watching a couple channels faithfully.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
these are the main channels that I always look forward to watching new videos from and are still active

hungrygoriya - retro game reviewer, very informative and she highlights a lot of lesser known titles
My Retro Life - Tyler's old video footage that he edits into documentary style shorts
Resonant Arc - podcast analysis on video game stories by Mike and Casen
Femtrooper - Paige's general gaming channel w/ reviews, top 10's, and the like
GameBoyle - Game Boy centric review channel by Matt

there's other channels that I like to watch like HappyConsoleGamer, Game Sack, Somecallmejohnny, Metal Jesus Rocks, and Gaming Historian, but the ones I listed I think are really worthwhile to check out

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Legend
IzawSmash is one I like a lot, sorta the source I use to help in getting better at Smash Bros.

The Angry Video Game Nerd is a classic channel. Despite his rage, he does have some good points, and he can be insightful.

Yahtzee from Zero Punctuation is the best gaming review channel. Witty, funny, and his points are valid.

TheJeffAndDavidShow is fun, just some friends playing video games together.

Zeltik's not bad.

DX is great for insightful reviews on a game, though his earlier content made him seem like an AVGN clone. He's since come into his own.

And of course Critical Role. Definitely entertaining, though it is annoying that every DM now tries to rip off Matt Mercer. Just be you, and let Matt Mercer be Matt Mercer. Entertaining show though.

And that's really it. I don't watch many video gaming channels because I'd rather play video games. My YouTube's mostly dominated by music and guitar channels.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
Scott the Woz is my #1. He’s the only one that I will ever buy merch from. Other “gaming review” channels I watch are PBG, ProJared, Arlo, AntDude, Rerez, pretty standard channels tbh. JonTron too but he doesn’t do gaming stuff anymore. The only “smaller” channel I watch is TheLonelyGoomba.

On the “gameplay” side of things, I watch HermitCraft (Mainly just Grian and Mumbo Jumbo, though I do branch out from time to time) and RTGame’s stream highlights, but that’s pretty much it.

I’m also subscribed to MahDryBread, he’s mainly a gameplays channel but most people watch him for his challenge run videos every Saturday, and also ZSR and Speed Gaming if I ever want to kill a few hours watching a randomizer race.

Last edited:

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
:ghello:

Tis I! The small gaming youtuber of the forums! Currently doing a blind playthorugh of Oracle of Ages ^^

Myself, I don't really watch anyone small. I guess the closest would be NintendoCapriSun, who is a very old classic LP channel with a lot of subs, but his views are very low these days in comparison
I didn't know! I'll watch through your OoA playthrough in like a month when I'm finished playing through it myself. I just finished Seasons last night and I'm going to start a secrets run of Ages.

This thread is now a trove of great YouTube channels. I could spend a lifetime watching great gaming content from new creators I've never even heard of!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom