• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Gaming history you missed out on

Spamomanospam

Captain Kick-ass
I kind of wanted Kingdom Hearts when it came out, but at the time, my parents were my source of video games, and when I could get something, there was always something I wanted a little more right at that time. Years later, after so many people telling me how great it was, I borrowed it from my brother-in-law, and I have never been more let down by a game. I don't know if it's that it didn't live up to the RIDICULOUS hype it received, or if it didn't age well, or what, but I played for six hours or so bored out of my skull before finally giving up and returning it. I think some combination of factors made me expect a phenomenal game, and even if it was the kind of game you like, I think I'd still rate this one as "just okay."

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
Everything from before the day I was born.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I was a Sony kid growing up so I missed out on the N64 and Sega. I played those consoles the odd time, and I played some of the popular games when I was older, but I defiantly missed out on it during that time period.

Misty

Ronin
Never completed Shadow or played Journey.

I know these lists are pretty subjective, but I feel like I'd be pretty achieved on that list. Can't say I played many games because anyone said I had to in like a peer pressure way. Mostly, I listen to suggestions or read reviews and see what looks enjoyable.

Wait, that's not true: I played a Link To The Past after having fiddled with and dismissed it as a five year old because @DARK MASTER oppressed me and made me a child soldier.

I never got exposed to console gaming..didn't even know that there was such thing until I was at my cousin's house and they had Mario Kart on the N64.

I missed out on Banjo Kazooie, Starfox, OoT (I played it for the first time 3 years ago and it didn't live up to the hype so I was disappointed), MM/WW (first time playing and finishing WW 3 years ago as well. I enjoyed WW a lot! Haven't finished MM yet.), Sonic, Tomb Raider, Castlevania, and many more.

So this is a bit of a story, so I'm putting it inside a spoiler to save space, but here it goes:
I used to live in Argentina, a country where gaming is a troublesome hobby because of economy and import laws. As part of this characteristic, during the 8-bit era, we didn't get any adds for consoles and finding stores that sold them was hard unless you went to specifically expensive toy shops (AKA foreign franchises). Since I saw my cousin playing with an NES, I got my own too (btw, this wasn't actually the NES but rather a Famicon, we got that one in Argentina) but the thing is that other than Super Mario Bros. I didn't know any games for it and there were no famous games. So, basically, I had an NES, I had excitebike, I had mario bros and I had 1 or 2 other classics, but I missed on stuff like Megaman, The Legend of Zelda, Double Dragon, Castlevania, Ninja Gaiden, Metroid. Basically most NES classics. I only got to experience most classics in a single generation when the gameboy colour came out (to use the gameboy and the gameboy colour were pretty much the same as the delay in importation cause a collapse in the time frame), but the tragedy didn't stop there.
We NEVER got the SNES.... I love 16-bit games with a love that is pretty much the same as most veteran gamers have for 8-bit. I must've finished no less than 50-100 GBA games in the day and many of them more than once, so not getting the SNES, when I finally found out it existed, u can imagine, crushed me... Only in the last 10 years and only because of this I got to experience such classics as Megaman X, Super Metroid, Chrono Trigger (NotLikeThis), amongst many others.

Because of all these, I only got to experience after people called them "classics" over and over games like Castlevania, Megaman and older Final Fantasy games. Also, because of this, I got most of FFVII spoiled way before I could even have the possibility of playing it (didn't have a PSX/PS2 until pretty much when the PS3 came out). And even today, even though I own a ps3 and I own FFVII in pc, I still can never bring myself to play much more than the first 1-2 hs...

I somehow missed the Final Fantasy 7 train. I even owned a PS1 at the time and had played other RPGs, but I just plain missed FF7. I still haven't played it... <.< ... >.>

I missed pretty much the entirety of the NES era. Why? Because I was playing Game Boy games at the time, so I grew up with the likes of the Super Mario Land series instead of the Super Mario Bros ones. I did come back to some of those games later (like Zelda 1 via the Classic NES series and Super Mario Bros 1-3 via Super Mario Advance and the Wii Super Mario All Stars disc), but it's probably one reaosn why I'm nowhere near as nostalgic for said titles as a lot of people are online. Or why I never found the original Mario games that ground breaking compared to the later ones.

BoxTar

i got bored and posted something
Hmm, there are quite a few things I missed out on that I wished I didn't, just so I could appreciate them more.

I hate the fact that I missed out on the NES era. I have such a huge bias against the console that I feel like I wouldn't have had if I had had it growing up. Considering how important it was, I wish I could enjoy playing the games on it more that weren't just Mario 1 + 2. I feel like its the same thing as people who were born after the N64 that hate it for the awkward controls and bad graphics. You have to have been there and played it as a kid to really appreciate that sort of stuff, y'know?

Other than that, I missed out on Final Fantasy, and pretty much anything on Sony consoles due to only having Nintendo consoles growing up. Not that I'm complaining, I've played them since and had a good time. Still, I wish I had a bit more variety growing up. Though I haven't and will never play Final Fantasy. Just not my kind of game, unfortunately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom