• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Games That Passed Your Expectations

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
There are a few games that far surpassed my original expectations.

Ocarina of Time

I bought this game and was rather wary of my decision. I wasn't sure how good this game was going to be until I actually played it. Thinking back to my childhood, I remembered playing this game, but I never got very far. So I decided to give it another chance. Once I started, I couldn't stop; the game had me hooked. I'm glad I bought it, because it was worth every single cent.

Okamiden

This has to be one of my all time favorite games. My initial reason to purchase the game was because it was aesthetically pleasing. It was also the last one in stock, so I gravitated towards it with high hopes that it'd be a good purchase. And I was far from wrong. Everything about this game is beautiful, and I mean everything. I could sit here for hours and list all of the little details I love about the game, but I'd bore some people (lol). I'd recommend this game to everyone I know. My only regret is that I wasn't able to play the prequel, Okami, but it was still a hell of an experience nonetheless.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Having played the majority of AC games, my expectations for this game weren't too high, but I was still blown away in the end. Every issue I may have had with previous installments was fixed. Not only that, but everything was bigger, better, and over the top. In fact, I think this game is so good that I'm not even sure the franchise can do any better. I whole heartedly believe this is their best game.

Sonic Adventure 2 Battle

My primary reason for purchasing this game was strictly because it was a Sonic game. Being a major fan of the franchise at that time, I couldn't pass-up the opportunity to purchase a new (to me) game. I came in this game with fairly moderate expectations, and I was floored by what I had actually gotten. Besides the superb storyline, the multi-player option was fantastic as well. It's a damn shame my disc is so full of scratches, otherwise I'd continue playing it.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Resident Evil 6 surpassed my expectations. People said it was a mediocre game, however what I found in it was gold stuff surrounded by shizzle. Yes - the story was contrived. Yes - Jake's inclusion was such BS. Yes - Leon's story, though the best, was still not pulled off to its best potential. But you know what? The gameplay is awesome. Mercenaries mode is awesome. And although I spent maybe only 15 hours ont he story (including runs on Professional and test runs on No Hope), Mercenaries ate a good 72+ hours of my time. RE6 is mmm qimme dat.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
And right here you lose any and all credibility, because developers have stated multiple times that one of their goals with REvelations was to bring the franchise back to its roots.

Oh, ok then, I'll just blindly ignore every single aspect of the gameplay and game design and and take comments which were about making the game scarier than they'd been in several years as total proof that Revelations was more like RE2 or Code: Veronica. They can say what they want to get people interested in the game, pre-release, but the actual content of the game speaks for itself. If you want to ignore it because some Japanese bloke was trying to sell a product then be my guest.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
They can say what they want to get people interested in the game, pre-release, but the actual content of the game speaks for itself. If you want to ignore it because some Japanese bloke was trying to sell a product then be my guest.

The actual content of the game does speak for itself, in which case it's saying REvelations was the bridge of old RE and new RE. And, like a bridge, it did have a mix of both survival horror and dramatic horror. There were tons of action sequences in the game. However, the dark and enclosed areas very much lead to a feeling of helplessness - the same feeling of helplessness that proper survival horror drives into a player's body. The atmospheric sounds, the creaking of the ship, movements of the Oozes through pipes...all of this is not unlike to SH.

So chocolates. dunno why anyone is arguing over this.

CraptainFalcon

Bored to death
I know there have been a quite a few games that I have bought with little expectations, and some turned out to be my favourites of all time. Probably the biggest example of this would be Uncharted 2: Among Thieves. I saw this game on sale just a few months after its release date, I never saw any reviews but it was one of two games on sale - I had no idea that this game would turn out be a true classic.

For me, it was Uncharted 3. I, personally think it was better than Uncharted 2. I loved Uncharted 2 but Uncharted 3 was better.

On and also, Twilight Princess passed my expectations.

So did, Skyrim.

Fallout 3

I played this game when a family friend was living with us last year. At first when I looked at it I though "This isn't a game for me." I started playing it though, and at first it felt weird. I never played a game like it. Now it's my 2nd favorite game of all time. (OoT being my 1st)

Oh GOD! I hate Fallout. Ocarina of Time used to be my favourite. That was 3 years ago.

Last edited:

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
The actual content of the game does speak for itself, in which case it's saying REvelations was the bridge of old RE and new RE. And, like a bridge, it did have a mix of both survival horror and dramatic horror. There were tons of action sequences in the game. However, the dark and enclosed areas very much lead to a feeling of helplessness - the same feeling of helplessness that proper survival horror drives into a player's body. The atmospheric sounds, the creaking of the ship, movements of the Oozes through pipes...all of this is not unlike to SH.

So chocolates. dunno why anyone is arguing over this.

Dammit, Ven, y u gotta beat me to my own response. :kawaii:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Dammit, Ven, y u gotta beat me to my own response. :kawaii:

I have a knack for ninjaing people lately ;p

Ohsh, I have to say that Soul Calibur III passed my expectations...no, they exceeded said expectations. The story mode, although basic, was very great in presentation. The cutscenes were perfect. And the fact that the story mode wasn't perfectly linear? Reminded me of Soul Calibur II's Weapon Master mode. Then comes the Character Creation and Chronicles of the Sword modes. Those were amazing. Top notch. They were there for serious usage, not the joking around as in Soul Calibur IV and Soul Calibur V.

Oh GOD! I hate Fallout.

Dislike. :sad:

That's marketing for you. ;)

Oh marketing, how it could be so deceiving. Bought a handful of games where I just want to chuck back at the faces of the developers. Like Dead Island, had potential, but failed in a lot of parts. Only bought it cause of the epic trailer.

Also, Sleeping Dogs was another game that surpassed my expectations. I bought this game during the Steam Winter Sale a year ago, not expecting much at all. I thought it was just going to be a wannabe True Crime/GTA mix of a game. Nope, I was wrong. Everything about the game was enjoyable. The combat was very well done and the story line was actually pretty good. It kept me interested in what was to go on next. Each mission was more enjoyable then the last, the driving mechanic was very well done, you can hijack cars by jumping from one car to another, and the game had a variety of songs in its soundtrack. There was even bullet time in the game. The developers basically adopted what made other action games epic and blended it into one game.

Aelic7

The Young Drifter
Red Steel 2 surprised me with its depth, and honestly it's a ton of fun to play, and its visuals are (I think) unparalleled on the Wii.
Goldeneye 007 for Wii also impressed me, it's got great visuals, gameplay, and level design. You can tell there is a lot of production value in that game. The multiplayer could use some work, though.

I'd have to say Twilight Princess(Wii Version) is a primary for me. The main reason is: the series went down a landslide after Ocarina of Time(with a very slight exception of Minish Cap[IMO]. so when Twilight Princess was announced I primarily thought the storyline as well as the background music would be a load of crap. The main reason I chose to get the game was because of the graphics as well as how well the gameplay appeared in the commercials. After playing the game I loved it even more than OoT.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Red Steel 2 surprised me with its depth, and honestly it's a ton of fun to play, and its visuals are (I think) unparalleled on the Wii.

Wait, how can you praise Red Steel 2 for having great gameplay, but then turn around and say the opposite regarding Skyward Sword? They have very similar mechanics, especially regarding their combat.

Not a post trying to start up a debate, here, just genuinely curious.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Wait, how can you praise Red Steel 2 for having great gameplay, but then turn around and say the opposite regarding Skyward Sword? They have very similar mechanics, especially regarding their combat.

Not a post trying to start up a debate, here, just genuinely curious.
He said it's enjoyable, why does he have to explain that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom