• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Games That Passed Your Expectations

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Sometimes we might impulsively buy a game that catches our eye, we may not expect much but at the end it passes all our expectations. Or it can just be any old game, but then it exceeds your original thoughts etc.

I know there have been a quite a few games that I have bought with little expectations, and some turned out to be my favourites of all time. Probably the biggest example of this would be Uncharted 2: Among Thieves. I saw this game on sale just a few months after its release date, I never saw any reviews but it was one of two games on sale - I had no idea that this game would turn out be a true classic.

So, for you, were there any games that completely passed your original expectations?

Zorth

#Scoundrel
Minecraft, by far.

I heard about it in 2010 from some friends, and had even seen them play it in the browser a few times. It looked really stupid to me and for months I kept seeing it everywhere but couldn't be bothered to pick it up because I never thought that a game made out of blocks would be any fun. However early on in the summer of 2011 I was really bored one night, I had played all my games both on PC & console, caught up with all the shows, new movies etc. so finally decided to buy this stupid game (it was on some sale too I think which made me do it). Little did I know I would spend the rest of my summer addicting to this game, building the most pointless monuments and just progressing through the game, watching videos on YT about it and just having a blast with friends after finding a server.

:mellow:

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Just mentioned it in a previous thread but, The Walking Dead was a game that just blew me away and I was never actually on-board, even kind of after the first episode. I didn't really go in expecting so much but I was really enjoying the TV show so I got it for that, and, the first episode was slow and I wasn't instantly enjoying it but I stuck through it, I'd paid for it so may as well play it, and I'm glad I did, because I came out of that having been through one of the greatest videogame experiences I've ever had the pleasure of. Was amazing.

Another would be Portal! Portal, the cheap, tack-in game for the Orange Box. I got the Orange Box with Portal not really being a contributing factor to why, pre-ordered and stuff but I wanted the other titles since I was never a big puzzle fan. But I got to enjoy some of the wittiest, well-written dialogue in gaming. I was laughing and genuinely enjoying the puzzles too, I thought they were very creative and the game was paced very well, and it wasn't so long to get old and it wasn't so short to feel un-gratifying. Amazing that Portal was just a game that a tiny team split off from Half Life 2 development to go make.

Finally, gotta give it to Skyrim. After Oblivion, I wasn't really expecting much, and Morrowind was great but I was never so fussed on it. Maybe I didn't give it a fair try and maybe I was unfairly holding it up beside other titles, but, I was never what you'd call an Elder Scrolls fan that's for sure. And then Skyrim comes it and it was such a breath of fresh air for me! It was such an organic, self-sustained journey and I loved exploring the world and seeing everything happen. I never would have thought it'd be sitting in my Steam library at 400 hours play-time, definitely not. I'm glad it impressed me so much though.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Fire Emblem Awakening completely destroyed my expectations. I had heard of it originally when we used to call it Kakusei, but back then I thought very little of the game; I figured it was JP only after FE12. When I got my hands on the demo, I did some things that I cannot mention here, it was such a huge MMM QIMME DAT moment for real. Like, I ran into the game expecting something on the lines of FE7 - that is, no world map, weak DLC, etc. Boy was I turned around. <3

Honestly, I'm going to go with Final Fantasy XII. Sure, I haven't gotten around to actually beating it yet. That doesn't matter, because I still think it's a fun game, though not as good as some other Final Fantasy games.

Big Octo

=^)
LEGO Star Wars: The Video Game. I remember seeing the commercials for TV and seeing ads in magazines for the game. I thought it would just be another cash-in on the success of Star Wars and LEGOS (which is probably true), but I also thought that it would be a poorly done, finicky game with nothing special or appealing about it. Naturally, I avoid it. Not too long after the game's release, I go hang out with a buddy of mine who suggested we play the game, which, according to him, was very fun. Not wanting to be rude, I agreed, and he turned on his PS2 and we got the game. And boy, was I wrong. The game was insanely fun and a real pleasure to play, which was very surprising to me. I decided to pick up the game for myself, and my next few days were spent completing the game finding all the extras, thus finishing it 100%. I bought both the sequel that covers the Original Trilogy and the Complete Saga, completing both 100% as well. Never would I have thought that such a game could be so addictive and enjoyable.

If we're talking Zelda, than I'd say The Minish Cap. After downloading the game to my 3DS via the Ambassador Program, truth be told I wasn't really expecting much. Perhaps a watered-down A Link to the Past with some shrinking gimmick that wouldn't make up for the game's shortcomings. As I played, I quickly came to find that the game excelled in almost every way. Definitely a superb entry to the series.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Spirit Tracks. I'd heard some pretty unkind things about the game, which made me reluctant to play it. I eventually borrowed my friend's DS and his copy of the game, though, and... wow. It was ****ing awesome! Extremely superb level design, great boss battles, and top-notch music made me fall in love with it.

I guess you could say KOTOR surpassed my expectations, as well. The intro portion was absolutely terrible, so it didn't exactly give me a good first impression, but once it got going, holy balls, did it get going. Superb in every conceivable fashion.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
Resident Evil: Revelations. I didn't get it till after 6 came out. Who really expected a franchise that abandons it entire purpose (Survival Horror) for garbage have such an amazing installment; on a handheld no less.

Resident Evil: Revelations. I didn't get it till after 6 came out. Who really expected a franchise that abandons it entire purpose (Survival Horror) for garbage have such an amazing installment; on a handheld no less.

That game surprised me too. It had its flaws, but I wasn't expecting it to be more of a retro Resident Evil game, especially since it came out in between Resident Evil 5 and 6.

Just Cause 2 was another one. I was expecting a typical third person shooter, oh man, was I wrong. Swinging across the terrain with your hookshots while floating on by with your parachute open, sabotaging enemy bases, liberating countless locations, riding vehicles of many different kinds, skydiving off ridiculous locations, and just all the chaos you cause was just pure entertainment. It's one of those games that I go back to and play when I'm completely bored.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Nintendo Land

I thought this would basically be another Wii Sports and that it'd get really boring really fast and not really do anything of interest or note. Nintendo Land is a really well made game and the ways the Gamepad is put to use in it are simple but effective at creating some unique little games and there's plenty of stuff in it to keep you entertained for a long while. As a multiplayer game it's easily one of the best I have played since it's just based entirely around having a laugh. Even the competetive games are light-hearted and just for fun and they're simple enough for anyone to understand how to play them. When we had the extended family around at Christmas everyone was having a go on Mario Chase and Luigi's Ghost Mansion and kids and adults were having just as much fun as each other. It was a great game to introduce people to the Wii U and what it has to offer and now I feel a little foolish for rolling my eyes when it was first announced at E3 several years ago.

---

Nerd rant coming up so if you don't give a toss about Resident Evil then skip this.

That game surprised me too. It had its flaws, but I wasn't expecting it to be more of a retro Resident Evil game, especially since it came out in between Resident Evil 5 and 6.

This is something that bugs me more than it probably should but I really just do not understand how people can slate RE6 and then praise Revelations in the same breath. Revelations is so similar to RE6 and so far removed from everything that came before RE4 that it just boggles my mind.

First off, the "entire purpose" of Resident Evil is to make money. By the time you get to RE0 and the REmake on GameCube the franchise wasn't doing that. In fact, Capcom even described making RE4 a GameCube exclusive as "throwing money down a black hole". Not even one year after it's initial release, RE4 was ported to PS2 and it made the franchise popular again. As famous as the name Resident Evil is, the games hadn't sold well since RE3 on the original PlayStation. RE4 changed that (but only when it was released on PS2). RE5 was the best selling installment in the entire franchise and RE6 is just shy of 5 million worlwide sales itself. This rise in sales happened because Resident Evil abandoned survival-horror and that's really the issue I see at work here.

Everyone seems to expect Resident Evil to be a survival-horror franchise but it hasn't been since 2005 and it hasn't tried to be since. RE4, RE5, RE6, and Revelations are not survival-horror and were not intended to be. The problem is people keep on judging them by that standard. If you go into RE6 expecting a survival-horror game you will be disappointed because that's not what it is and it doesn't even try to be. Revelations doesn't try to be either. I don't see how it can be described as "more of a retro Resident Evil" when it takes RE5's gameplay and builds on it, setting the stage for the further additions RE6 made. The game coming out between 5 and 6 makes perfect sense because it is a gameplay bridge between those two titles. Revelations has ammo in abundance, the story is told through cut-scenes and switches between multiple charcaters in various settings. You are expected to fight your enemies rather than avoid them and the game is littered with action set-pieces. This was the first game in the series to let you move while shooting, it brought back the dodge maneouver that had been fiddled with in RE3 and then abandoned afterwards, and it removed herb mixing and let us heal on the move which made the healing system more convenint for a faster-paced action game. RE6 takes a few more steps in the action direction, gameplay-wise and in terms of presentation. Revelations fits so perfectly into what modern Resident Evil is that when people say it was "more like the older games" or was "true to its roots" I have to wonder if they even really played the game at all because it just isn't; it was the first of the modern games to develop the new gameplay style further.

The only way in which it is more like the older games is that it's scarier than RE5 and RE6. Revelations was certainly the scariest game in the franchise since RE4 and it seems to me that a lot of people say these fallacious things about it based largely, or perhaps entirely, off that alone. The thing is though, survival-horror does not mean scary. Survival-horror is a term used to catagorise a set of conventions and a certain type of gameplay that Resident Evil hasn't had for 8 years. Just because the early games were survival-horror doesn't mean they all are. Darkside Chronicles isn't survival-horror, and neither is Operation Raccoon City. Nobody actually calls those games survival-horror, and rightly so, but they do insist on labelling the main series games as such for no reason.

You don't have to like RE6 if you liked Revelations and liking Revelations shouldn't make you go easier on RE6 or anything like that. My point is just that I see people say Revelations is more of a survival-horror game, truer to the series' roots, than the likes of RE5 and RE6 and it just isn't true. Revelations abandoned the series' roots more than RE4 or RE5 did. It's not a game which shows how much better classic Resident Evil used to be; it's a game which shows how good modern Resident Evil can be.

Donkey Kong country Return.I though it"d be something like New Super Mario Bros Wii(A fun game,but nothing too impressive and WAY too easy),but I was totally wrong and I had I lot of fun playing this game

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Oh, I definitely missed Final Fantasy XII. I caught wind of it when I saw my cousin playing it at his apartment; I thought very little of it. Actually, I thought it was going to suck, given that the character he was using (Fran) was incredibly annoying I hate her design oh so much. Anyway, I got a copy for myself and I instantly lost 3 months of my life to it. Gorgeous visuals (I thought they were the most realistic one could get; I didn't know about the Xbox 360 back then ;p), amazing gameplay, grand story, and SO MUCH exploration. <3

Star Ocean Till the End of Time also exceeded my expectations. I saw my cous playing it an I thought it looked fun, and when I GRABBED THAT GAME I lost a year of my life to it just to get FAM. And when I finally got FAM? I like died; it is the greatest achievement anyone can get, even better than 100% trophies/achievements in any PS3/360 game.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
There are a few games that passed my expectations. There have been some games that I literally bought for no reason. There might have been a reason though, but I'm not really sure. I have heard mixed feeling and opinions about these games before I bought them though.

Super Mario Sunshine

I remember buying this because it was a Mario game. There was really no other reason. At first when, I saw Fludd and found out there was voice acting, I was like "What is this?" After playing the game for a while though, it started to grow on me. It's actually my favorite Mario game now.

The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker

I bought this when Twilight Princess came out. I really wanted Twilight Princess, but it was too much money, because it was a new game, so I settled with Wind Waker. I was one of those idiots that looked at the graphics and said "This is stupid. This game is for babies." I think my mind was changed when I started sailing though. It was actually kind of fun. I appreciate the graphics now, after playing Twilight Princess and not being able to see anything, and it's one of my favorite Zelda games. Despite all the bad things I've heard about it.

Minecraft

I looked at Minecraft and thought "Wow this looks really stupid and boring". I decided to get it from the XBLA shortly after Minecraft 360 was released. After playing it for a few hours, I realized why it's so addicting. Long story short, I spent my entire summer last year playing that game.

Fallout 3

I played this game when a family friend was living with us last year. At first when I looked at it I though "This isn't a game for me." I started playing it though, and at first it felt weird. I never played a game like it. Now it's my 2nd favorite game of all time. (OoT being my 1st)

There were some games that I had no expectations before playing them and then ended up liking them. Borderlands, LEGO Star Wars, Metroid Prime, Fable 3, Brink, and Oblivion are some examples of games I felt neutral about before playing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom