• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Gamecube Game Question?

GoldenGengle64

A v ^ A v ^
Hello all!

Google couldn't answer this, so I'm hoping the ZD forum can! Just a heads up I kind of ramble in this post... hopefully it isn't confusing!

So, I recently spent some money on a "like-new" copy of Super Smash Bros Melee on Amazon (I never bought the game when it was available in stores because when it launched when I was in my early elementary school years, and its shelf life ended around the time I completed 5th grade... according to my parents, I was too young to play Teen-rated games. Plus, I was a little girl at the time, thus I had no interest in fighting games anyway) :D So I ordered my game, and it arrived in the mail today. I was stunned when I took the game out of its shipping package... it looked practically brand new! The thin plastic that covered the box art had some minuscule scuff marks here and there (doing nothing more than barely dulling the plastic's shine), and it was still hard to tell it was a used game. The case contained the instruction booklet, plus all of the original information cards and other printed goodies were included (safety/Gamecube manual, My Nintendo brochure). The best part was that not one of those pamphlets had a single scratch, crease, bend, rip, faded color, or any form of damage for that matter. The instruction manual didn't even have fingerprints! The game disc itself was virtually scratchless. To sum it up, my copy of SSBM was about as new as a used game can possibly be. So you're probably wondering why I just described all of this detail. Well, I was thinking it would be used for anyone that might be able to answer a question I have. Earlier today, I was marveling at how my so-called "used" copy of SSBM was in such excellent condition. I was looking at the back of the case when I noticed something interesting. The bottom left corner read "NOT FOR RESALE". Out of curiosity (and boredom) I decided to research that on the internet. I had seen this message printed on game display boxes in gaming stores such as Gamestop, so I had a general idea about it. What I found online was that the "NOT FOR RESALE" message was printed on Gamecube game cases for various reasons, such as: A) Demo game (rare) :cool: display case at gaming store C) game is packaged in a bundle or D) copies were given out as exclusives. After reading these pieces of information, I got to wondering if my copy of SSBM was possibly a rare game or a standard one that wasn't placed on store shelves individually if at all. I was thinking perhaps my copy could be a Demo as it is in excellent conditions- pamphlets appear as though they were never removed from their case, and the disc looks like it was barely even played. On the flip side, however, my game cost me $26.98, which would be abnormally cheap for a rare copy, or it may very well have been in a bundle as there is no evidence to debunk that idea. I'm pretty sure it wasn't a display case at a gaming store since it has the pamphlets (which would be unusual to place in an empty display box... maybe I'm wrong?). Well anyway, I tried googling how I could tell if my game was a demo or bundle or whatever, but I had no luck! So, I'm asking ZD forum users for help... maybe you have a GC game like this, or worked in the gaming industry and know something about this. My guess is that there is no possible way to determine if my copy of SSBM is rare or not... oh well! I'm just curious to find out where my game came from if it wasn't sold in stores. Has anyone else had a similar experience like this? :)

Hello all!

Google couldn't answer this, so I'm hoping the ZD forum can! Just a heads up I kind of ramble in this post... hopefully it isn't confusing!

So, I recently spent some money on a "like-new" copy of Super Smash Bros Melee on Amazon (I never bought the game when it was available in stores because when it launched when I was in my early elementary school years, and its shelf life ended around the time I completed 5th grade... according to my parents, I was too young to play Teen-rated games. Plus, I was a little girl at the time, thus I had no interest in fighting games anyway) :D So I ordered my game, and it arrived in the mail today. I was stunned when I took the game out of its shipping package... it looked practically brand new! The thin plastic that covered the box art had some minuscule scuff marks here and there (doing nothing more than barely dulling the plastic's shine), and it was still hard to tell it was a used game. The case contained the instruction booklet, plus all of the original information cards and other printed goodies were included (safety/Gamecube manual, My Nintendo brochure). The best part was that not one of those pamphlets had a single scratch, crease, bend, rip, faded color, or any form of damage for that matter. The instruction manual didn't even have fingerprints! The game disc itself was virtually scratchless. To sum it up, my copy of SSBM was about as new as a used game can possibly be. So you're probably wondering why I just described all of this detail. Well, I was thinking it would be used for anyone that might be able to answer a question I have. Earlier today, I was marveling at how my so-called "used" copy of SSBM was in such excellent condition. I was looking at the back of the case when I noticed something interesting. The bottom left corner read "NOT FOR RESALE". Out of curiosity (and boredom) I decided to research that on the internet. I had seen this message printed on game display boxes in gaming stores such as Gamestop, so I had a general idea about it. What I found online was that the "NOT FOR RESALE" message was printed on Gamecube game cases for various reasons, such as: A) Demo game (rare) :cool: display case at gaming store C) game is packaged in a bundle or D) copies were given out as exclusives. After reading these pieces of information, I got to wondering if my copy of SSBM was possibly a rare game or a standard one that wasn't placed on store shelves individually if at all. I was thinking perhaps my copy could be a Demo as it is in excellent conditions- pamphlets appear as though they were never removed from their case, and the disc looks like it was barely even played. On the flip side, however, my game cost me $26.98, which would be abnormally cheap for a rare copy, or it may very well have been in a bundle as there is no evidence to debunk that idea. I'm pretty sure it wasn't a display case at a gaming store since it has the pamphlets (which would be unusual to place in an empty display box... maybe I'm wrong?). Well anyway, I tried googling how I could tell if my game was a demo or bundle or whatever, but I had no luck! So, I'm asking ZD forum users for help... maybe you have a GC game like this, or worked in the gaming industry and know something about this. My guess is that there is no possible way to determine if my copy of SSBM is rare or not... oh well! I'm just curious to find out where my game came from if it wasn't sold in stores. Has anyone else had a similar experience like this? :)

I have seen a similar tag in my games before. These same, "Not for resale" words were on Club Nintendo's Giant AR card. This is nothing too special just a means to indicate limited availability or such of an item. I am curious though, who was your seller?

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
first look at the inside ring of your game disc, on the back. There should be some text there that reads, "DOL-GALE-0-xx," where xx is one of the following numbers:
00: Version 1.0
01: Version 1.1
02: Version 1.2

GoldenGengle64

A v ^ A v ^
I have seen a similar tag in my games before. These same, "Not for resale" words were on Club Nintendo's Giant AR card. This is nothing too special just a means to indicate limited availability or such of an item. I am curious though, who was your seller?

Ok, so its probably not that special. I kind of had that feeling that it wasn't too important, since the display boxes are always in stores and they all say that. Still, I thought it was worth looking into, never know until you ask, right? :) My best guess is that my game was probably part of a bundle at some point in time... probably sold with a Gamecube, or something like that. Well, thanks for the help! I'm pretty sure none of the games in my Gamecube stash have the resale thing on the back, so this was a first!

The Giant AR Card says that its not for resale? I have that reward, and I never saw the resale thing on it. Was it on the packaging? I ordered mine on the day it came out I think, and maybe it was printed on the instructions included? I'm going to have to double check my AR card!

The seller I ordered from was named "agentangel24". I was looking for a copy of SSBM that was classified as "like-new" and was reasonably priced. Agentangel was one of the top results on the page. I checked out their page, and though the most recent reviews were from 2006, they both gave the seller 5 stars and said that their orders were "exactly as described". When I saw the price of the game + shipping, the good ratings, and that the game was described as "like-new", it seemed like a pretty good deal, so I ordered through my family's Amazon account. The game wasn't supposed to come until Friday or later (I ordered last week), but it came today. I'm pretty sure the seller is an individual person versus an actual shop... they had Smash Bros and a Gamecube for sale last week, but last time I checked, I didn't see anything for sale on their page... but then I don't navigate Amazon incredibly well! Excellent seller though! The game literally looks brand new.

first look at the inside ring of your game disc, on the back. There should be some text there that reads, "DOL-GALE-0-xx," where xx is one of the following numbers:
00: Version 1.0
01: Version 1.1
02: Version 1.2

Hmm, well I'm looking at the disc right now and assuming you meant the shiny side that doesn't have Super Smash Bros Melee written on it, mine says: DOL-GALE-0-02. I assume that would make my game a newer version? What is the difference between the versions?

Last edited:

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
Hmm, well I'm looking at the disc right now and assuming you meant the shiny side that doesn't have Super Smash Bros Melee written on it, mine says: DOL-GALE-0-02. I assume that would make my game a newer version? What is the difference between the versions?

Basicly they fixed some bugs or made some updates
Read this: http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_regional_version_differences_(SSBM)

Also in Version 1.0, it is possible to get the two secret trophies.
"Super Mario with Yoshi" and "Samus without Helmet"

So Version 1.0 would be concidered as a rare version.

guapo2003

The incomparable legend
I would still say it's a keeper. Anything that says "Not For Resale" is generally considered more of a rarity than one that doesn't say that, and usually collector's are willing to pay more for the "Not For Resale" than the other. Either way it's a great game and you'l love it!

TheMasterSword

The Blade of Evil's Bane
Even if it's a newer version, it's still rare. Have you played it? If its a demo it's made obvious.when played because you can't play the entire game. Also, if it was bundled then it's worthless. Ask the buyer where he got it and hopefully you'll get more information from that. Man I always wished I had a rare game of sorts. So nice find!

Even if it's a newer version, it's still rare. Have you played it? If its a demo it's made obvious.when played because you can't play the entire game. Also, if it was bundled then it's worthless. Ask the buyer where he got it and hopefully you'll get more information from that. Man I always wished I had a rare game of sorts. So nice find!

I found some things wrong with that statement. Gamecube games still aren't that rare and older versions of games are definitely rarer than newer ones.

Last edited:

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
I found some things wrong with that statement. Gamecube games still aren't that rare and lder versions of games are definitely rarer than newer ones.

Agreed.

Another reason i asked about the version is, if its really a demo of some sorts or not. Not just because the old version is more rare. I highly doubt that there would be a demo of the new version, simply because there is no need for a demo after 2 updates.

So i think this copy came with a GC bundle. But if this is concidered rare...well thats for you to judge. Personally i think its not that big of a deal.

Agreed.

Another reason i asked about the version is, if its really a demo of some sorts or not. Not just because the old version is more rare. I highly doubt that there would be a demo of the new version, simply because there is no need for a demo after 2 updates.

So i think this copy came with a GC bundle. But if this is concidered rare...well thats for you to judge. Personally i think its not that big of a deal.

Correct me if I'm wrong but before the seventh generation, Nintendo wasn't that big on bundles. All I can think of before Wii and DS are NES and SNES being bundled with Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario World, respectively.

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
Correct me if I'm wrong but before the seventh generation, Nintendo wasn't that big on bundles. All I can think of before Wii and DS are NES and SNES being bundled with Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario World, respectively.

In Europe there were two bundles available before the 7th Gen. Silver GC with Mario Kart - Double Dash (i bought this one myself) and a White GC with Mario Strikers.

I googled if there were any bundels with Melee and i found this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZOPfANyXp0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgSuNUNz-vQ

So yes, apparently there was a Melee Bundle pack in USA.

Mikau94

Zora Warrior
My guess is that it was part of a bundle. Many bundled games have this feature. Goldeneye Wii and Pokemon SS and HG are two very common examples. It would make sense since there was a Platinum GameCube and Smash Bros Melee bundle that it came with that. In this case, it would raise the value, but not by much. It is strange that Nintendo doesn't use this label on all bundled items, it seems quite random.

GoldenGengle64

A v ^ A v ^
My guess is that it was part of a bundle. Many bundled games have this feature. Goldeneye Wii and Pokemon SS and HG are two very common examples. It would make sense since there was a Platinum GameCube and Smash Bros Melee bundle that it came with that. In this case, it would raise the value, but not by much. It is strange that Nintendo doesn't use this label on all bundled items, it seems quite random.

That's what I'm thinking. I remember when I was looking this up the other day, I found a list of Gamecube bundles released in the US. Plus, since my copy is a later version, its seems like it would be more likely to be packaged in a bundle. And, that is odd that Nintendo doesn't put that label on all bundled games... I wonder why?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom