• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Forum Merger Discussion/Suggestions

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
So @Mases
Dude. So is this merge going to really happen? I mean. Come on, we haven't had any information on this in months. It's okay if you are cancelling the merge or something, or even continuing with this. But we can't have all this wishy washy nonsense of "well... A merge might happen, but it might not".

So could you please update us about what's going on? That would be greatly appreciated. Not even your business partner, Nathanial, knows anything new about this merge. In fact, he has no idea what's going on with the merge.

Dan

So @Mases
Dude. So is this merge going to really happen? I mean. Come on, we haven't had any information on this in months. It's okay if you are cancelling the merge or something, or even continuing with this. But we can't have all this wishy washy nonsense of "well... A merge might happen, but it might not".

So could you please update us about what's going on? That would be greatly appreciated. Not even your business partner, Nathanial, knows anything new about this merge. In fact, he has no idea what's going on with the merge.

It's being delayed so it can also co-release on the NX.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Change the default theme before you log in. People will visit seeing ZI when they came to ZD. That should be kinda obvious tho.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
Change the default theme before you log in. People will visit seeing ZI when they came to ZD. That should be kinda obvious tho.
@Jimmu would be a neat idea to have both ZD and ZI have forums on their own page (so zi.com/forum and zd.net/forum or whatever), and have the default layouts adjust to which site you came from, similar to what GameFAQs and GameSpot did a while back.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
To keep you all filled in, we are pretty much waiting for Mases to decide on/confirm the name then we will make the official announcement but it's all but done already. Don't expect any huge/major changes from now into the near future.

@Jimmu would be a neat idea to have both ZD and ZI have forums on their own page (so zi.com/forum and zd.net/forum or whatever), and have the default layouts adjust to which site you came from, similar to what GameFAQs and GameSpot did a while back.

I think this is a good idea and suggested it to Mases already actually but he decided against it. So the URL will be staying as is for the foreseeable future.

Sooooo, did it happen?

Kinda. Technically, nothing "merged" - he decided against importing ZI's forum stuff. Makes me a bit sad, but it was ultimately his decision. My 20,000+ posts, gone forever. :/

To keep you all filled in, we are pretty much waiting for Mases to decide on/confirm the name then we will make the official announcement but it's all but done already. Don't expect any huge/major changes from now into the near future.

I think this is a good idea and suggested it to Mases already actually but he decided against it. So the URL will be staying as is for the foreseeable future.

From what I understand, he's basically going to offload the forums entirely to ZI within a year or so. ZD will still contain a link to them of course, but they will, for all intents and purposes, be the Zelda Informer Forums, and they will be shifted over to a ZI url (within a year). He will focus (even more) on ZD being a guide/wiki and less about building big communities. He'll let ZI focus on that sort of growth for the boards.

What this means for everyone here is that the default layout will change, the name of the boards will change, but it's still basically the same place as it was before. Just instead, ZI will flagship the branding and push new members through the doors actively.

The reason an announcement post hasn't gone live is that Mases is trying to make the transition gradual. Given he just changed the default layout, the first thing first is getting everyone already here adjusted before I drive in ZI's user base. It's less of a shock to the current community this way.

Pen

The game is on!
If we're gonna make these changes, why can't we just do it all right away? That way we will all get used to the new ways and be happy with the chages much sooner than we would if we drag the process out over the course of an entire year.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
We can't have the ZI theme as the only default theme. These are not the ZI forums. And they're not really just the ZD forums right now. We're going for Zelda Dungeon Informer. It was mentioned before, what should be done is maintain two default themes and have it based on which URL you arrived at the forums to. the ZI theme if you came from ZI, the ZD theme if you came from anywhere else. Just like we did with Pokemon Dungeon. It's not that difficult and it would be more fluid.

Mases

Lord of the Flies
Administrator
Site Staff
From a users point of view. The majority of changes have already been made.

We have re-branded. We have a new theme that represents the Zelda Informer website and it is currently the default theme. The other themes are still selectable and will be supported.

I'm flirting with the idea of having the default theme be triggered based on the incoming url. So users that come to the forums from a Zelda Dungeon page get the ZD theme, where as all other users get the ZI theme. This was the case back when we had the Darksiders and Pokemon themes.

That's pretty much it. Nothing else is changing for the foreseeable future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom