• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Forum Merger Discussion/Suggestions

There a date yet?

No date as far as I am aware. I am focusing on some personal stuff and then a hiring process ZI is going through atm to bolster our team as we start to prepare for E3 coverage while I continue to expand our video stuff, and Mases cancled Mases Mart this week and a management meeting so he can focus on the TPHD walkthrough.

Well I think we can understand — hopefully your mother feels better Nate.

Thanks for the well wishes. I'll know later today if things are taking a turn for the worse or if she is on the road to recovery. It's totally up in the air until she reacts or doesn't react to new meds.

Yeah, definitely focus on that for the time being. Best wishes.

On topic, sticking with Xenforo would be great, both because Xenforo is awesome and also because it would ease the transition, since many things would still look the same, function the same, etc.

I totally agree. And I mean, we changed to XenForo a year ago for a reason, did we not?

I know very little about the ZI forums, but unless they are already using XenForo, perhaps they should change to that before the merge if that would make the merge easier. Of course I'm no expert in things like this, but I would also love to keep XenForo.

For starters, it is my understanding you folks were using VB4. Pretty much everything post VB3 is garbage. Hot garbage. When you switched, you likely chose Xenforo because it was more familiar to older versions of VB and created by former VB team members. Naturally since you folks used VB - if you were to get off VB, Xenforo is preferred. There is really no general consensus anywhere on the internet if IPB or Xenforo are better. A lot of IPB's advantages comes from the fact it's been around longer, so they have some well supported addons and additions that work flawlessly across the board. Xenforo's advantage is that it's basically VB before VB went to crap, with less support still. Even going to VB's site today - it's extremely sluggish. I wouldn't be surprised if they cease to exist in less than 5 years.

We've used Xenforo before, but it was unfortunately during the time of the lawsuit and it was rarely updated since they had to worry about investing their money into lawyers. Now that it is settled, they are releasing regular updates again, which is nice. Xenforo isn't a bad forum. There are basically three extremely viable premium forum packages (and no, VB isn't one of those three) and there is no real consensus on whats better.

Personally, I am going to be starting a new project that is build around IPB, but it's all preference for the forum aspect. I am pushing for Xenforo now over IPB mostly because my #1 goal is preserving user data. Since PM trasnfering isn't clean at this time, I worry about losing some of that data and while in the grand scheme people move on, there is a risk/reward benefit that has to be weighed. In this case, Xenforo is probably the best choice at this juncture. I'd presume we're sticking with Xenforo.

Obviously you folks came from ****ty forum software to Xenforo. I think if you switched from VB to IPB instead, you'd equally be loyal to IPB in such a transition too. People love what they know and got accustomed too.

Things come up in life that are far more important than forum matters. We totally understand. All the best for you and your mother.

On that note, I'm all for waiting as long as necessary to make the transition as easy and seamless as possible.

There really isn't any way to make it truly seamless. It;s going to be hard switch even as we know the day it approaches (when we know).

Damn Nate, sorry to hear that.

Related, what was the final verdict (if any) on the URL?

Everything is moving to either forums.zeldainformer.com or zeldainformer.com/forums (with or without the s). Regardless, the goal is to move the forums over to Zelda Informer and "somewhat" distance ZD's responsibility for them. There is an addon out there that plugs Xenforo into Expression Engine that is workable, so we can still create a universal account environment to connect tour news and original content plus comment users to the boards and vice versa.

It doesn't sound like this is really the time to really go over what we're going to do or to worry about when. Everyone knows where I stand, so no point in going over that. Anything we do should have Nate's input but he has a more serious problem to deal with at the moment. That has to have priority.

I'm just a messenger. Keeping you folks informed. I have a say over things certainly (like me pushing Mases to stick with Xenforo now), but I don't really know much of anything. This was all Mases' idea in the first place. I'd still much rather not merge at all. :P

I totally agree. And I mean, we changed to XenForo a year ago for a reason, did we not?

I know very little about the ZI forums, but unless they are already using XenForo, perhaps they should change to that before the merge if that would make the merge easier. Of course I'm no expert in things like this, but I would also love to keep XenForo.
They are getting rid of xenforo because Mases is a disqus fan

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
The main strength IPB had over Xenforo, that really was even worth switching over from a system that suits our needs, was that some addons aren't free and no one was willing to pay for them. If we had that, it wouldn't be a barrier to Xenforo.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Hey.... Um... So is the merge going to happen anytime soon? It's been nearly a month since the last update. It's fine if there is no news about it, I am just curious.

@Nathanial Rumphol-Janc
I see you upgraded ZI's comments. I like the changes there. It is a lot less whorrible than before. This somewhat alleviates my hate ZI's comment section as well. So good job!

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Hey ZD and ZI Staff:
This is just a little bit of insight here... You are probably going to want to do the merge before E3. I guarantee that in the weeks leading up to, and after E3, new members will be rolling in like they are pancakes.

That would be the ultimate time to have such a merge take place, so that while ZeldaInformer gets a ton of traffic from Zelda U news, they can advertise freely from their forum. So that's just my two cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom