• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

First Three Dungeons?

Raven

Former Hylian Knight
Some Zelda games begin with three lesser dungeons, these act as a kind of introduction into the larger part of the game. So I guess I'm just wondering if Zelda Wii will reuse the forest->fire->water dungeon formula to start us off or will we encounter a whole new series of beginner levels? will we be collecting pendants (ALttP)? or spiritual stones(OoT)? or maybe even some elements like in MC? I'm hopeing for an original idea myself..

And if they did decide to put us through a small set of dungeons like this, what kind of areas/themes would you like to see (ex. jungle->quarry->beach)

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
I want the whole "first three dungeons, then a plot twist and several more dungeons" thing to be included in Zelda Wii. Mainly because, it's part of what defines Zelda to me.

I personally hope for something cool for the collection theme like "Gather three swords" or perhaps "Gather three keys" I dunno, but the point is, I want something original. Not the Pearls from WW, not the Fused Shadows from TP, not the Spiritual Stones from OoT, just something that hasn't been done in an official game before.

As for the themes for the actual dungeons, I wouldn't mind a "Forest, Fire, Water" pattern, but I'd like unique locations for the dungeons. As in, something like the Theive's Den from ALttP or the Forest Temple from OoT: something you wouldn't expect to be a dungeon/stands out in the surrounding area.

Link1432

Most Uncreatively Named
Seeing as they're saying their mixing up the formula for Zelda Wii, it's possible that won't happen. I'm okay with that, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to warm us up with a few introductory dungeons.

But they would most definitely need some new themes for them. Something that wouldn't normally be seen as a dungeon. Some place that'll surprise us when we find a dungeon map in it.

X

xXJuggernautXx

I don't really mind the Forest->Fire->Water pattern, but it would be nice to see something different. As for what I mean by different, I really have no clue. The dungeon sequence has never really been a problem for me. It's really about their difficulty and depth in my opinion.

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
I really like the Forest-Fire-Water themes since they're the basic elements that line up with the Zelda universe's Goddesses and major races. Besides, even though the elements are reused, it's not like the element defines the dungeon. OoT had two for each element - the first three dungeons and the first three temples - but each had it's own distinct feel. There's so much that can be done with each element, like the poison element used in MM and ST's "forest" dungeons, Snowhead using both Lava and Ice, Goron Mines adding water and magnetism, so that the basic "element" is augmented by supporting elements. I feel that by using those basic first three we get a feel of nostalgia and interconnections within the Zelda universe while adding supporting elements allows for diversity. It's a nice balance that I would like to see continue.

What I would like to see different is adding something to the Water element besides just manipulating water levels. I'm not sure what they could add to that without sticking us into another whale's stomach, but hey, if Nintendo can put ice into a volcano, I'm sure they can do something creative to the Water dungeons.

Raven

Former Hylian Knight
What if The first three dungeons were reversed to be fire->water->forest?! or some other strange combination, I think this could create a whole new spin on the first 3 dungeon concept. But I can see myself having some trouble addapting to this new style.

I only say this because when I look at the concept art for the new game it gives me the feeling that link is entering a new area, something like a fire cave. If the picture is an actual place in the new game... something I doubt will happen, some concept art never actually gets into the game it was made for. How unfortunate.

Back on topic though. I think a distortion of the usual order of things would really turn some fans upside down on their heads. That's a good thing by the way. A new formula is exactly what some Zelda fans want (me included) but I'm not sure this would be the best or only way to do that.

They could easily end up giving us a whole new type of dungeon. Kind of like the Spirit Tower, I think that's one of the first towers in the Zelda series. I dunno. What about a lighthouse dungeon? or a dungeon beneath a monastery, like actual structures ex the Temple of Time from TP, I really liked that idea because it was begging to be a dungeon/temple.

Seeing as they're saying their mixing up the formula for Zelda Wii, it's possible that won't happen. I'm okay with that, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to warm us up with a few introductory dungeons.

But they would most definitely need some new themes for them. Something that wouldn't normally be seen as a dungeon. Some place that'll surprise us when we find a dungeon map in it.

that would be really cool, you have no idea you are in a dungeon, until you find a compass or map. the area you are in feels open, like the overworld, not to the point where you are in freeroam, just that you are not as restricted with space as you are in most dungeons.
or, the final tower, ganons temple, or hyrule castle, or ganons castle, its really long, and you need to use all of your items for different areas.
it would be really cool for all this to happen.

T

TMMay

I think they should come up with something different. I can't think of anything off the top of my head, but something different, like the sand dungeon in ST. However, the forest-fire-water thing never really bothered me.

Maybe they should have 4 or 5 introductory dungeons instead of 3? Or they could make each theme different from Forest - Fire - Water, like in LttP or PH.

Seamus

Pinball Wizard
Well, like with Majoras Mask, Twilight Princess, and Wind Waker, it took a while till we actually got to first dungeon. So it could or couldn't happen. I dont really want it to be that same old forest>fire>water though. I liked in Wind Waker, how the beginning was long, then you went to the Forsaken Fortress, which was really even a dungeon. I think it should be more based on the story than going through a bunch of dungeons and collecting things, and make it more realistic.

TheSerpent

The Happy Mask Salesman
For some reason, I have the idea of a Stable, which is connected to some little caves, as a dungeon. Maybe to get to epona.

And wasn't there a color dungeon in one of the 2d games?

For some reason, I have the idea of a Stable, which is connected to some little caves, as a dungeon. Maybe to get to epona.

And wasn't there a color dungeon in one of the 2d games?

That was an optional dungeon that couldn't be reached until you beat the first three dungeons (which have a hole theme, then a pot (the kind you pick up, not smoke) theme, and finally a key theme.).

i think it shoud be Forest>fire>water. then a plot twist followed by some other themes, like they did in TP.
also @ theserpent it was links awakening DX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom