• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

First Exposure to Anime?

I think it was through Dragon Ball Z back on Toonami in the early 2000s. My brothers and I would always watch it every day after school. But I was definitely a very casual anime fan for most of that decade only getting into other mainstream anime like Naruto, One Piece, and Yu Yu Hakusho. I started watching a few anime "classics" around 2011 or 2012 with the likes of Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Cowboy Bebop, and Mobile Suit Gundam. But it was only in 2013 with Kill la Kill that I really got into a variety of anime, and ever since I got a Crunchyroll account in 2016, I've been watching quite a bit at any given time.

Some friends finally convinced me to watch RWBY a few weeks ago. Other than a few episodes of the Pokémon anime, that was the first time I'd seen any.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
I remember watching Pokemon and One Piece back throughout primary/elementary school on the TV in the mornings. That would have been my first introduction to anime but I didn't really see anything less mainstream until I was maybe 16ish.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
My first anime was Pokémon when I was a kid, though I didn't watch it often.

My first real exposure to anime was Cory in the House, and after that I watched Clannad a little over a year ago. I liked it a lot and have meant to get into more series, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Definitely started with Pokemon, Digimon, Beyblade & Yu-Gi-Oh. Pretty much went through childhood watching those 4. (Dropped Pokemon by the Hoenn series, just remember it being terrible.)

(Now that I think I'm pretty sure Digimon was the only 1 I finished. Dropped Beyblade after Tyson's group weren't the focus anymore & dropped Yu-Gi-Oh sometime after the 3 god card tournament thing ended.)

Found Dragon Ball Z next based on my friends being obsessed with it. Remember having to watch the episodes online halfway through the Cell saga in 3 parts with Spanish subtitles & 1 part was always missing. Helped me find DBZA though so it worked out in the end.

Didn't watch any for years until I started hearing from multiple places online & IRL that Attack on Titan was really good. Gave it a watch, loved it and went on from there.

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Champion
Mine was Cowboy Bebop, and I loved it.

Then the next thing that came on Toonami was Neon Genesis Evangelion. As a kid, I loved it, but as an adult, I appreciated it more.

And then Trigun.

Been hooked ever since.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
Mine was Avatar: the Last Airbender. Not a real anime I know, but its style made me appreciate anime when I got into it years later. Fire Emblem also made me interested in anime with Awakening and its abundance of anime tropes and anime-esque art style.

Since then, I've watched Fruits Basket and just got into the Fate series.

Ragnarokio

If you don't identify as the default options of Male/Female, you may enter your gender here.

Rubik

King of Lorule Lounge
Pokemon, Yu-gi-oh, and DBZ, among other things.

Got into the English Shounen Jump for manga as well at some point.

Started watching Naruto in Japanese and realized subs were a good way to watch a lot of shows as well. The rest is history from there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom