• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Favorites in a Genre

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
I know it's another favorites thread but this one has been kicking around in my head for a while. Not going to list every possible genre but just some broad ones to think which ones are your stand out games.
  • Platformer
  • Action/Adventure
  • Racing
  • Fighting
  • RPG
  • Sports
  • FPS
  • Puzzle
  • Strategy
Plenty of these have their own subgenres but let's go for what your overall favorite ones are.
  • Platformer: Rayman 3
  • Action/Adventure: Wind Waker
  • Racing: Burnout 3 or F-Zero GX
  • Fighting: Super Smash Bros Ultimate
  • RPG: Xenoblade Chronicles
  • Sports: Mario Superstar Baseball
  • FPS: Star Wars Republic Commando
  • Puzzle: Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo (I love Catherine more but not exactly for the puzzle aspect)
  • Strategy: Fire Emblem Blazing Sword

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
Platformer - Super Mario Bros 3
Action/Adventure - Twilight Princess
Racing - NASCAR Heat Ultimate Edition
Fighting - Super Smash Bros Ultimate
RPG - Pokemon Sun
Sports - Wii Sports
FPS - Arsenal (Roblox game)
Puzzle - I love this genre but can't think of any specific games I've enjoyed, hmm
Strategy - Never really played any.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
Platformer- Super Mario Galaxy

Action/Adventure- Majora’s Mask

Racing- Mario Kart DS

Fighting- Super Smash Bros Ultimate

RPG- man I don’t even know at this point

Sports- Wii Sports Resort

FPS-based on the merits of being an FPS and not any other factors, Bioshock 2. Otherwise Metroid Prime.

Puzzle- take a wild guess, then make it the third one.

Strategy- Civ V I guess.

Last edited:

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Champion
Platformer = Donkey Kong Country II: Diddy's Kong Quest.
Action/Adventure = The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (2nd favorite game of all time.)
Racing = Mario Kart 8 and 64.
Fighting = Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator.
RPG = Chrono Trigger. (Favorite game of all time.)
Sports = NFL Blitz.
FPS = Doom II: Hell on Earth with the Brutal Doom mod.
Puzzle = Dr. Mario, I suppose.
Strategy = I haven't played many strategy games, so, probably some Fire Emblem game. :shrug:

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Champion
Really? You of all people here strike me as someone who would be super into Civilization.
Ah, I have a rational explanation for that.

ADHD.

I get bored quickly with strategy games, mostly because a lot of the decisions you make take time to come to fruition, and I'm not exactly the best planner. I just sorta wing everything. So a lot of my decisions I make in strategy games I don't see as biting me in the ass until it's way too late.

Like, I need several alarms to keep track of time, and lots of sticky notes, cues, and reminders so my working memory doesn't fail me and I get distracted from what I'm supposed to do.

Not really an excuse, but a possible explanation to why I never really got into those kind of games. :shrug:

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
Ah, I have a rational explanation for that.

ADHD.

I get bored quickly with strategy games, mostly because a lot of the decisions you make take time to come to fruition, and I'm not exactly the best planner. I just sorta wing everything. So a lot of my decisions I make in strategy games I don't see as biting me in the ass until it's way too late.

Like, I need several alarms to keep track of time, and lots of sticky notes, cues, and reminders so my working memory doesn't fail me and I get distracted from what I'm supposed to do.

Not really an excuse, but a possible explanation to why I never really got into those kind of games. :shrug:
That’s interesting, because I need a lot of those things apply to me too, especially the working memory part, yet I still love playing strategy games. Does this also apply to longer board games for you?

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Champion
dddddddddd
That’s interesting, because I need a lot of those things apply to me too, especially the working memory part, yet I still love playing strategy games. Does this also apply to longer board games for you?
I lose at Risk, and Monopoly I also am not the best at.

I do crush at Clue though. ;)

OGSniper

Sharpshooter for Hire
ZD Champion
Platformer: Super Mario World-SNES

Action/Adventure: Majora's Mask-N64

Racing: Mario Kart: Double Dash-NGC

Fighting: Super Smash Bros.-N64

RPG: Secret of Mana-SNES

Sports: NBA 2K11-PS2

FPS: Goldeneye-N64

Puzzle: Tetris-Dedicated Handheld

Strategy: Risk-GBA

Platformer - Banjo-Kazooie
Action/Adventure - Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess
Racing - Diddy Kong Racing
Fighting - Super Smash Bros Melee
RPG - Pokemon Black/White
Sports - Mario Golf
FPS - Goldeneye 007
Puzzle - Tetris
Strategy - Never played any

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
  • Platformer - A Hat in Time
  • Action/Adventure - Elden Ring, I suppose.
  • Racing - Split/Second
  • Fighting - Super Smash Brothers, but mostly because I'm bad at fighting games.
  • RPG - Baldur's Gate 3. While it is a newcomer, it's easily one of the best of its kind.
  • Sports - Steep. It's a cool snowboarding/skiing thing that I'd recommend to everyone.
  • FPS - Warhammer Vermintide 2.
  • Strategy - Crusader Kings 3. I don't always play CK3, but when I do it's with the Elder Scrolls mod and loaded with incest. :eyes:

Platformer - Hard to pick between Banjo Tooie, Super Mario Galaxy, and Kirby & the Forgotten Land
Action/Adventure - Most broad category for me so extra hard to pick, but I’ll go with Wind Waker as the one I’ve been fond of for the longest
Racing - Maybe Midnight Club LA? Don’t play many of these
Fighting - I’d love to put Dong Dong Never Die but haven’t actually played firsthand, so I’ll just say Smash Ultimate
RPG - Chrono Trigger for turn based, original Nier for action
Sports - Does griffball count? Otherwise n/a EDIT: actually maybe Wii Sports Resort, or even Uniracers at a stretch
FPS - Hard when deciding between straight fps and some offshoots. Guess I’d be most confident in saying Halo Reach, though the Serious Sam series has some greats, and I really enjoyed the original Goldeneye
Puzzle - also n/a unless I can count something like Hotel Dusk
Strategy - Have not played probably even a handful of these. Halo Wars was a bit bland, Supreme Commander 2 was fun but only played multiplayer, and I’m terrible at Xcom 2 but I guess that one was my most fun

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom