• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Favorite Book?

Lamphobic

The Brony
Sooooo. Favorite book time. I don't see a favorite book thread on the first page of threads and I wasn't about to go looking through 6 pages of threads to try and (possibly not) find one sooooo. Yeh.

What's your favorite book? Mine? It's a series of books really for me. The Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini.

Have at ye.

No fights please. Um if that's okay with you.

Garo

Boy Wonder
My favorite book is a regrettably little-known tome called House of Leaves. It's about a tattoo artist who struggles with his personal life. No, wait. It's about a tattoo artist who struggles to manage his personal life while trying to edit a book that he found written on scraps of paper in a dead man's apartment. No, wait. It's about a family who discover that their house is bigger on the inside than on the outside and the documentary that they made about it, which is entirely fictional and the subject of a fictional criticism written by a dead man on scraps of paper that a tattoo artist is trying to assemble into something resembling a book.

...that's about as close as I can get.

It's a terrifying novel and a deeply touching one, as much a romance as a horror. It is one of the few books that has actually frightened me, and one of the few works of art in general to do so. But despite that, these reasons are not why it is my favorite book.

This is why. [Note: I don't *think* there's any language in that image, but Johnny's footnotes can be a bit vulgar at times, so be warned that some inappropriate content may be in the text.]

House of Leaves plays with the structure of a novel in such novel ways (hahahahaha see what I did there) - at one point, there is a single word per page, and you're flipping through them at such a frantic pace that your heart starts racing along with the character's heart. It gets really insane at times, as you can see in that image. There are footnotes within footnotes within footnotes. It functions as a deconstruction of the novel, a satire of academic criticism, a genuinely frightening horror novel, a touching romance novel, and an experimental bit of insanity. It's a wonderful work of art and continues to blow me away.

Luke's Wife

peaked in 2015
You want me
to pick
one book
that's crazy

tumblr_mbres92J6D1qcvhf8.gif

My top favorite books (i cant choose one ok i do what i want) are: the Harry Potter series, the LOTR series, To Kill A Mockingbird, Treasure Island, the Inkheart series, the Hound of the Baskervilles, A Game of Thrones...ugh, there are so many more but I can't list them all and these are all I'm limiting myself to.
I love books a bit too much, I think :p

Garo

Boy Wonder
You want me
to pick
one book
that's crazy

<snip>
My top favorite books (i cant choose one ok i do what i want) are: the Harry Potter series, the LOTR series, To Kill A Mockingbird, Treasure Island, the Inkheart series, the Hound of the Baskervilles, A Game of Thrones...ugh, there are so many more but I can't list them all and these are all I'm limiting myself to.

I used to have that problem - there's a lot of wonderful stuff out there, and my list of my favorite books is really volatile - the lines between each rank are very slim. I think eventually everybody finds that one big book that completely blows them away and continues to do so after rereading and rereading and rereading.

Lamphobic

The Brony
You want me
to pick
one book
that's crazy

tumblr_mbres92J6D1qcvhf8.gif

Errm. Favorite book for each genre?

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
Imagica by Clive Barker- although it's not my favorite book.

...I'm in a complicated relationship with books.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Sword Art Online by Reki Kawahara. It's one of the most well-formed, well-written, well-thought-out, exciting, involving, entertaining stories I've ever read, if not the most. Volume 4 is the only book that has ever been able to legitimately reduce me to tears. That's a fact.

All 10 volumes of it have been an overwhelming pleasure to read, even if I can only read it online. I'm certain the upcoming 11th volume will be, as well. I just can't get enough of it. It's really the best story I've ever read.

Woyogoyo

The Oncoming Storm
I`ll just list my top 5.
1. Redwall by Brian Jacques.
2. The ballad of Sir Dinadan by Gerald Morris.
3. Castaways of the Flying Dutchman by Brian Jacques.
4. The wrong sword by Ted Mendelssohn.
5. Inheritance by Christopher Paolini.

Dr3W21

shoegaze girl
Hmm... I'm not entirely sure of my favorite single one, honestly, so I'll just name off a few of my favorites.

The Green Mile by Stephen King

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling

The Gunslinger by Stephen King

...and basically everything else that I've read that's by Stephen King :P

GirlWithAFairy

Man... the ****???
Im going with PP and making a horrible face just thinking about picking ONE book.... I love MANY books... I have a stack of books that I would call my favorites as I could read them all many times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom