• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Fatal Frame 5

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
Got the game. Played it last night. It's fun so far. I finished the first chapter. A couple of people requested it, so I recorded myself.

I won't lie, I was scared the whole time. There weren't any cheap scares the first chapter, but the stuff they did show was creepy.

Video is about 30 minutes. I don't scream, but I come close:

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
This game is SO scary. I'm playing little by little, and I've already screamed a few times. Listen, if you like horror games, and you're still on the fence, get this game. I can't say it enough, it's one of the better Wii U games, and the scariest game I've ever played.

I just played the trial version tonight. I really enjoyed it, though it doesn't feel as genuinely scary as I was expecting. But that's okay I guess, I'm a big coward when it comes to that sort of thing anyway. But yeah, I'm totally going to go out tomorrow after work and get a USB so I can download the full version.

I'm still getting the hang of the camera.

Also… heh… did anyone notice in the tutorial level that after you pick up the key, the doll on the dresser is facing you again?

Triforce King

Pathfinder for life
No, it makes the most sense for you to play it as soon as humanly possible, or I swear I will pulse my own ghost through these damn interwebs and ghost-strangle you. With ghost powers. Because reasons.
:eek::goodness:Ok, I will play it as soon as possible:sweat:

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
I've beaten this game now, and I want to share my thoughts.
This game is great.
The gameplay is fun and inventive. That's something you don't see much these days. The gamepad works great for the camera obscura. It's sensitive and the buttons line up well with the camera's different functions. It does expect a bit of you, requiring 180 turns during some battles that arent really possible in confined spaces, but the sticks can be used to move it when needed. The only missing feature is a 180 spin button, which would have made these fights much easier. Unfortunately, I spent a lot of time getting grabbed by ghosts and awkwardly trying to get items on the floor. This game's walking controls are straight out of the first RE, with stiff movements that often force you to turn and face a direction and then move forward. Narrow corners, which ghosts can walk through, are a pain and the good camera camera battles are hindered by it. Maybe this was an intentional homage or a limitation to make you feel helpless, but its annoying as hell at certain points in the game.

The level design is very creepy and haunting, reminded me a lot RE4 with its haunted woods and horde attacks. The enemy design is great and gets varied later in game with the priests and burned people you have to fight. I like that enemies can go through walls and teleport, it forced me to think in ways I haven't before. I might be looking for an enemy in a narrow hallway only to have them rush through the wall and grab me. I've never played FF before , but I hope the older games used this style. Completionists will enjoy hunting down dozens of ghosts and collectible notes, they're all over the game and you can learn a lot about the game lore from them.

Of note were the FNAF-style camera segments where you have to protect the girls from ghosts in the house. The camera's automatically cycle, and you cant control them. These levels really helped build the tension as you have to choose whether to go after a ghost or wait to see where it goes next. I really feared this game would repetitive, but levels like that kept me guessing.

The story was interesting although not particularly memorable. As an anime fan, I was able to enjoy the Japanese voicework. The English actors sound somewhat flat, although Ren did sound like he was getting into the emotions of it at times. The overall plot is very haunting. There's a lot of graphic murders and mystery,exacerbated by the foreign rituals and look of the whole game. There's a lot of Shinto belief and aspects of Japanese culture that players will find fascinating.
The characters you play as are a mixed bag. I managed to really connect with Yuri's story. Her harsh life, efforts to reclaim it, and bond with her new mentor actually touched me a lot towards the end. Miu (I say Mew-lol) also felt sympathetic as she searched for her mom, although her impact isn't that big as youre looking for her most of the game. Ren and Riu bored me throughout most of the story. I thought Riu was a boy for most of the story (quit doing that Japan) and Ren came off as simply a guy looking for some answers. I don't care if they fall in love at the end or whatever, they just sort of interact for most of the story and they're pretty boring.
I've never played DOA, but I did enjoy the final segment where you play as a DOA character. Very fanservicy, but it was a cool to try and sneak past ghosts instead of fighting them. I had to look at the game a different way and think harder. It's only like 20 minutes long so you can get through it really easily.

The game overall is a great addition to the Wii U library. I'm glad it came to the west, although I'm sad I can't put a physical copy on my shelf (NOA hates us apparently). I'd love to see a sequel for Wii U which incorporates better controls, a more engaging story, and physical release. If you like survival horror games or want a game that puts you wii u to good use, get this game today. It's scary, challenging, and culturally interesting. I hope we see a sequel or physical release here in NA some time in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom