• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Fallout 4 Open World Discussion

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I wouldn't mind a really big overworld, but I get your point - there should be some balance. I feel like I want it big, but not too big. I don't mind it being really big as long as the overworld has alot to do in it. So far it does look like the map is really big, but will have lots to explore.

SageOfSinging

Sheogorath, Daedric Prince of Madness
I'm honestly not too excited about FO4 to begin with. I am a huge Elder Scrolls fan, but I never really cared about Fall Out. I tried to watch a few LP's of the games to see if I would like them, and they were just never that appealing to me. The only one that looked fun to me was New Vegas, but even still, I wasn't a huge fan. However, I think open world is good, unless it's too open. I like it when you can go anywhere and do anything, but when the map is so big that it takes like 30 minutes just to get from one place to the other, it just isn't worth it for me.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
With an overworld this large,I'd definitely appreciate some kind of accelerated travel. Not Fast Travel, mind you, but like a car or something. When I was playing New Vegas it would take eons to get to an objective. Coming off such openworld games as Wild Hunt where Fast Travel was paired with sped up openworld travel (like the horse), the lack of anything like that was not a pleasant adjustment.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
With an overworld this large,I'd definitely appreciate some kind of accelerated travel. Not Fast Travel, mind you, but like a car or something. When I was playing New Vegas it would take eons to get to an objective. Coming off such openworld games as Wild Hunt where Fast Travel was paired with sped up openworld travel (like the horse), the lack of anything like that was not a pleasant adjustment.
We are already getting that, I believe. With the new implementation of Power Armor, it seems like that will give you a way to fly, and be a total badass.

I would not mind being able to ride certain animals with certain perks... Could you imagine being able to ride a Deathclaw or Yao Guai through the wastes? Haha!

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Pretty sure there's going to be Vertibird travel. Though I think it might be limited in some way to still give the game a challenge when roaming the wasteland.

Terminus

We are already getting that, I believe. With the new implementation of Power Armor, it seems like that will give you a way to fly, and be a total badass.

I would not mind being able to ride certain animals with certain perks... Could you imagine being able to ride a Deathclaw or Yao Guai through the wastes? Haha!
1. I think the Power Armor flight will have a limited amount of fuel otherwise it would be broken as hell.
2. I think riding a deathclaw would have to be done in its stomach.

The semi-open world in Dragon Age: Inquisition had mixed reviews. The first two DA games had locations you would travel to on the map, but it was an entrance to exit without any real exploration, but in DAI you have huge maps that seem endless sometimes once you travel to the location of your choice, but except for occasional monsters or bandits, it was boring. Hopefully Fallout 4 won't leave things feeling empty and lacking life like it did in DAI.

Last edited:

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
1. I think the Power Armor flight will have a limited amount of fuel otherwise it would be broken as hell.
2. I think riding a deathclaw would have to be done in its stomach.
Fuel would definitely not make any sense within Fallout. Fallout's world very rarely uses fuel considering how technically advanced(in some parts of the world) these people are and the fact that oil is extremely scarce. I believe Power armor is powered using hydraulic power as well. My guess is that it will have a condition bar, like anything else.

Also, in Fallout 3(I can't say about new Vegas) we can see that the Enclave was able to control Deathclaws using mind transmitters, and the Brotherhood of Steel even gives you a pocket transmitter that allows you to scramble that signal and use it for yourself. Within the short range of the signal, the Deathclaw would become your companion to take out the small base of enclave units that were testing the device itself.

@P-Zelda do not worry one bit. Bethesda has been making open world games for a very very long time. They know what they are doing. They are really great designers that create mammoth games with quality content... Now, as for testing and glitch control...... That is where they are lacking... But that is also what mods are for ^_^

Fuel would definitely not make any sense within Fallout. Fallout's world very rarely uses fuel considering how technically advanced(in some parts of the world) these people are and the fact that oil is extremely scarce. I believe Power armor is powered using hydraulic power as well. My guess is that it will have a condition bar, like anything else.

Pretty much everything in the Fallout world is powered by some sort of nuclear power, I think it would make total sense to have a fuel for something like that. Fusion power is alluded to in many places, and in New Vegas, REPCONN rockets used nuclear thrusters ignited by using a nuclear isotope that's portrayed as a kind of rocket fuel substance. Given how technologically advanced the Enclave are, and moreover, if technology from the Big MT reached the rest of the wasteland, it's entirely reasonable that there'd be power armor flight powered by something like portable fusion or even some sort of highly advanced electric energy source (think the hyperbreeder weapons the enclave has etc).

Terminus

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Flamethrower_fuel

Also, in the New Vegas quest "Come Fly With Me," one of the things you need to retrieve are bottles of Atomic Fuel for the rockets. Since we see the Power Armor emit blue energylike flames akin to those seen on Mr. Handy robots which always carry bottles of Flamer Fuel when you kill them.

EDIT: I know that they all carry Flamers as weapons, but this is the only fuel I recall seeing on scavenged Mr Handies. Either way my point stands, fuel does exist.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Pretty much everything in the Fallout world is powered by some sort of nuclear power, I think it would make total sense to have a fuel for something like that. Fusion power is alluded to in many places, and in New Vegas, REPCONN rockets used nuclear thrusters ignited by using a nuclear isotope that's portrayed as a kind of rocket fuel substance. Given how technologically advanced the Enclave are, and moreover, if technology from the Big MT reached the rest of the wasteland, it's entirely reasonable that there'd be power armor flight powered by something like portable fusion or even some sort of highly advanced electric energy source (think the hyperbreeder weapons the enclave has etc).
Very true, but Power Armor in Fallout 3 and New Vegas cannot be nuclear, nor was it nuclear in the pre-war era, else the Power Armor would blow up similarly to cars. Power Armor was powered hydraulically, using a water system throughout the whole suit to power it.
Then again, the Power Armor in Fallout 4 could be more advanced and used Nuclear power, though that would be kind of funny considering Fallout 4 is a prequel to other Fallout games. Though considering that Liberty Prime was able to run without Nuclear Power, I think the new power armor really could run from a similar system too.

Terminus

Very true, but Power Armor in Fallout 3 and New Vegas cannot be nuclear, nor was it nuclear in the pre-war era, else the Power Armor would blow up similarly to cars. Power Armor was powered hydraulically, using a water system throughout the whole suit to power it.
Then again, the Power Armor in Fallout 4 could be more advanced and used Nuclear power, though that would be kind of funny considering Fallout 4 is a prequel to other Fallout games. Though considering that Liberty Prime was able to run without Nuclear Power, I think the new power armor really could run from a similar system too.
Weren't the cars just looted and destroyed? I don't recall seeing anything about cars exploding.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Weren't the cars just looted and destroyed? I don't recall seeing anything about cars exploding.
Umm.... In Fallout 3, you can blow up a ton of cars, of which, it would cause a mini-nuclear explosion akin to the Fatboy

The cars are looted, yes, and they are old, but their mini-reactor is still there, in which you can blow it up.
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Flamethrower_fuel

Also, in the New Vegas quest "Come Fly With Me," one of the things you need to retrieve are bottles of Atomic Fuel for the rockets. Since we see the Power Armor emit blue energylike flames akin to those seen on Mr. Handy robots which always carry bottles of Flamer Fuel when you kill them.

EDIT: I know that they all carry Flamers as weapons, but this is the only fuel I recall seeing on scavenged Mr Handies. Either way my point stands, fuel does exist.
Ah, so Atomic fuel is what they needed..
I still think no fuel will be required, you just need to keep the flier part in good condition and not bang it up a ton in battle.
I am sorry, I am not very well versed in Fallout New Vegas, it has been years since I played it, haha!

Yeah all the vehicles in the game can be blown up if you shoot them enough or throw grenades at them, after the explosion you get a fair amount of rads from going near for a few minutes.

Yeah, that's true, but I was thinking along the lines of say, the enclave power armor and the stuff in Broken Steel. The Enclave has some more advanced power armors (seen in Fallout 2 as well) and I'd imagine that given they have a lot of pre-war tech and things like vertibirds, a next generation set of power armor seems reasonable. The Brotherhood and The Outcasts in Fallout 3 were also working on restoring and advancing pre-war technology as well, so it would make sense for something like this to exist.

Last edited:

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Yeah all the vehicles in the game can be blown up if you shoot them enough or throw grenades at me, after the explosion you get a fair amount of rads from going near for a few minutes.

Yeah, that's true, but I was thinking along the lines of say, the enclave power armor and the stuff in Broken Steel. The Enclave has some more advanced power armors (seen in Fallout 2 as well) and I'd imagine that given they have a lot of pre-war tech and things like vertibirds, a next generation set of power armor seems reasonable. The Brotherhood and The Outcasts in Fallout 3 were also working on restoring and advancing pre-war technology as well, so it would make sense for something like this to exist.
Hmm, that does bring in another question... I wonder how much power the Brotherhood of Steel had.... Along with the Enclave.. Fallout 4 takes place at around 200 years after the bombing, meaning that the Enclave should just be coming to fruition at this point, and they may be a small(ish) group at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom