• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Evidence for Whale Not Being a Dream

I've commented on this thing before. If she was falling for a good while, she would have figured she was about to die, so she would have just been giving Link a "last goodbye" face.

Although that does make since, it doesn't help the fact that her and her bird got sucked down in the tornado, with a scary background, and
yet she gets swallowed by the whale with a white surreal background without her bird. Not saying its a dream, but it being the same thing doesn't make since to me.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Although that does make since, it doesn't help the fact that her and her bird got sucked down in the tornado, with a scary background, and
yet she gets swallowed by the whale with a white surreal background without her bird. Not saying its a dream, but it being the same thing doesn't make since to me.

I can respect that. And it's true that this can't actually be proven either way (although a dream seems unlikely, especially since this interview with a Nintendo rep conveniently went "missing"). I'm still gonna stick with that it's not a dream, though. That just seems like the most likely option to me.

Dukusword

Hylian Warrior
I actually don't think the whale is Jabu-Jabu.

Oh well...That's awkward lol, the whale does kinda seem like the wind fish if you think about it but there is a 95% chance it's just a completely new whale.

Last edited:
L

linkfan

The problem is that she had the cloak while on her bird, she didn't have it while falling through a tornado, but she had it while being eaten by the while. Assuming this is chronological, it makes no sense. But it probably isn't.
Actually she didn't have it on while on the bird, and then had it on when she fell off

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!

I have noticed that, and I don't deny that the game may start out as a dream, but I am 100% certain that the whale isn't just part of a dream.

Damn, I always show up late on significant threads or discussions. Oh well.
Just to reiterate my point I'll repost an old post of mine;
Let me first say that I think it doesn't have to be a dream perse, it can be a vision as well, it's not "real", at least.

I think the dream encompasses not only the part with the whale, but the scenes with Link falling in darkness and seeing Phi as well. Link has had prophetic dreams before, so why not again?

First of all, Zelda is wearing different clothes from when Link and her go flying and get sucked in the tornado. No matter how you twist it, it's impossible that it's the same event. Second, the scene with the whale seems very dream-like, with all-white background and a very dream-like effect, no to mention the slo-mo, with Zelda reaching out to Link as she falls. Granted, the slo-mo isn't a great argument, but still. Third, the scene afterwards with Link falling suddenly has a completely black background. This is very dream-like, as the scene changes with the events and how Link, the dreamer, feels. Last, I feel the whale looks more like some sort of metaphore for the 'evil' down below, than an actual creature, but this is more my opinion.

This isn't all relevant, but this way I don't have to type everything again :P
I cut out the part about the Nintendo Rep, as it's not to be found, and way too vague, I agreed it's nothing to go by.
Now, on topic, you seem to think that I use the cloak to prove that the whale part is a dream, which is not the case.
I've seen the cloak in other instances. I'm using the cloak to prove that the part with the whale does not follow up the part with the tornado, something you still haven't responded to.
As I've said before, I don't have any proof, just my own thoughts and observations.

Conor

the over analysing guy
Someone mentioned earlier "how did jabun/ jabu jabu get in the sky?"
I think the real question would be how does he get down, as Skyward Sword supposedly predates all zelda games thus far.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Damn, I always show up late on significant threads or discussions. Oh well.
Just to reiterate my point I'll repost an old post of mine;
Let me first say that I think it doesn't have to be a dream perse, it can be a vision as well, it's not "real", at least.

This isn't all relevant, but this way I don't have to type everything again :P
I cut out the part about the Nintendo Rep, as it's not to be found, and way too vague, I agreed it's nothing to go by.
Now, on topic, you seem to think that I use the cloak to prove that the whale part is a dream, which is not the case.
I've seen the cloak in other instances. I'm using the cloak to prove that the part with the whale does not follow up the part with the tornado, something you still haven't responded to.
As I've said before, I don't have any proof, just my own thoughts and observations.

I've responded to it, and I believe that it's just a screw-up on Nintendo's part. Now, you can say that they fixed the earring color problem, but color correcting is easy to go back and do. Adding that cloak across an entire scene would be difficult, as they'd have to design it from scratch, which wouldn't have been worth their time, as it's a meaningless little factor. Screw-ups like this happen in movies and such all the time. Bowls of popcorn being spilled in a scene, yet later in that scene it's full. Spiderman's suit starting to be ripped, but later in the scene it's not ripped, then it is again. There are many more examples, but naming them all is unnecessary. Everyone makes mistakes, and Nintendo is no exception. All the evidence points to the whale not being a dream. I respect opinion, and you have the right to believe what you want to, but I'm 100% sure that the whale is not a dream. We'll see it in the game. I'm sure of it.

I've responded to it, and I believe that it's just a screw-up on Nintendo's part. Now, you can say that they fixed the earring color problem, but color correcting is easy to go back and do. Adding that cloak across an entire scene would be difficult, as they'd have to design it from scratch, which wouldn't have been worth their time, as it's a meaningless little factor. Screw-ups like this happen in movies and such all the time. Bowls of popcorn being spilled in a scene, yet later in that scene it's full. Spiderman's suit starting to be ripped, but later in the scene it's not ripped, then it is again. There are many more examples, but naming them all is unnecessary. Everyone makes mistakes, and Nintendo is no exception. All the evidence points to the whale not being a dream. I respect opinion, and you have the right to believe what you want to, but I'm 100% sure that the whale is not a dream. We'll see it in the game. I'm sure of it.

I disagree, I don't think it's a screw up at all. The Comic-Con trailer seems to be the definitive version of the trailer, and I don't believe Nintendo would overlook such a big flaw, if that's what it is. As I don't have any evidence this may seem weird, but I'm 100% sure that the whale is not "real", along with some more of the trailer. I understand you're opinion and I know that I may look crazy, but it makes sense to me.
There is no way to settle this right now, so as you've said, we'll see when the game comes out!

Never to late to reply so here I go.

Zelda's Cloak: I think Nintendo screwed up that part.

The Whale: The "whale" doesn't look like a "whale" to me for all I care it could be anything. But I think it did save her Zelda was so close to it's mouth making this highly unlikely that something snatched her away.

Jabu Jabu: I don't really think so. Again I'm not to keen on this being a "whale". While at it Jabu Jabu doesn't have any magical powers as far as I'm concerned.

The bird: Chances are that the bird flew away. Or the bird was just behind the camera.

Also another theory could be that Phi is the source of this whale. How? Well Link was in total darkness making this he could be inside the whale and Phi was inside in witch would be rather weird unless she was the source of this whale.*

* It's unconfirmed that Link is inside the whale during Phi's apperance.

Last edited:

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
* It's unconfirmed that Link is inside the whale during Phi's apperance.

He wasn't. He was still falling.

I disagree, I don't think it's a screw up at all. The Comic-Con trailer seems to be the definitive version of the trailer, and I don't believe Nintendo would overlook such a big flaw, if that's what it is.

Again, going back and fixing something like that wouldn't be worth their time, as they have better things to do than fix a silly little detail. It's not anything huge. Most people didn't even notice it. (I didn't.)

Last edited:
Maybe the whole thing is a dream =O and link wakes up in his bed after the game is over... wouldnt that be crazy... and very cliche lol

But i agree that it's probably not a dream. It's too good of storyline changer to just not have it happen in real life... unless link, in the game, has a form of dementia and tries to go to save Zelda while she's safe in the castle because he thought his dream was true. That just doesnt seem like a very Nintendoish thing to do lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom