• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Equipment System

Remember the equipment system in Ocarina of Time? The games have always had a variety of equipment, like several sword and shield upgrades, and different clothes. But in the old games these were just upgrades. OoT was the first game to have ones that had different abilities to allow you to get through different parts of the game. There were the two special tunics, the boots, shields, etc..

Am I the only one who missed this? I kept thinking there was so much they could have done with this, and was excited to see what kinds of items we'd get in the next game, but since then none of the games have used this.

What happened? Too many people complaining about the boot switching in the Water Temple? Don't you think that was kind of a minor annoyance compared to the advantages? :huh:

I'd really like to see this return. I think especially with some of the newer ideas like the Zora Armor, this could be brilliant if done again. What did you think of OoT's equipment system?

A

Asme

Personly I liked the OoT invitory system bether too, with exception of the arrow switching (I prefer the WW style of switching betwen ice-light-fire-normal arrows). I never found switching boots too annyoing since if you had the golden scale, you could probably just dive trough most corridors in water temple =/. so yea, they should bring it back.

C

Colton

I agree, plus it made the game a lot more fun. You could wear whichever tunics you wanted, equip whichever sword, sheild ect. You could customize Link however you wanted. Plus you needed the different boots and stuff. I'd like to see this stuff back as well.

Gorons Tunic - Mirror Shield - Biggeron Sword :)

Well, TP did it to a minor extent. I mean, you could still use the original shield and sword if you wanted, and switch between the Zora Tunic and the normal one. But yes, I wouldn't mind seeing the same kind of equipment system used in a future Zelda. It could certainly add some interesting new items; I'm sure there are plenty of kinds of boots with special abilities that Nintendo could come up with.

CZG

I was dissapointed when the Iron Boots became a c-button item...
I like character equipment screens.

Din Akera

Sniper
I liked the equipment system very much. I got really good at hitting pause and flipping to the other set off boots, usually while Link is mid air jumping into the water, lol.

I will say though that I liked the arrow switches in TP (gamecube) if you had the wrong one up you could change it really easy without even coming out of arrow focus.

Mikau94

Zora Warrior
I also agree, there were a lot things they could have added in the later games. I miss the hover boots and being able to change the way Link looks.

Although it was annoying to equip and unquip the iron boots, you got used to it, I liked having it as a c-button item because it was more efficent. Nintendo missed a lot of opertunities, maybe the new Zelda for the Wii will bring the equipment screen back.

sorry guys but i thought it was a great idea to have the iron boots as a dpad/x/y/z etc. item rather than having to constantly pause.

also i loved the new arrow switching in the wind waker.

one complaint i have is that in oot and mm throwing and dropping bombs are the same button so thowing a bomb while standing isnt possible, fair enough, first 3d games so no problem, thankfully they fixed this in the wind waker and had A to throw bombs and R to drop em. but why did they go back to the old controls in TP?

anyway id love to see them bring back the equipment screen (without the iron boots) with different tunics etc.

Austin

Austin
It had its advantages and disadvantages. One thing that they could have done was expand the uses of the equipment. You only needed to Goron Tunic for the Fire Temple, right? After that it became somewhat obsolete (breathing underwater was far more useful, IMO). Same goes for the Hylian Shield when you obtained the mirror shield. If they had, for example, more areas with intense heat outside of the fire temple, it could be interesting. The boots and the Master Sword/Biggoron Sword are a good example of this.

What I'm saying is, if the equipment system returns the game should give certain pieces of equipment flaws as well as strong points. Like the differences between the Hero's tunic and Zora Armor. I don't remember ever going back to the Hylian shield once I recieved the Mirror Shield.

I disagree about the iron boots though, I was doing cartwheels when I discovered those had become a C-button item. So many migraines.....

yann

TheBitterDubstepMan
I certainly miss having a Red Tunic.
They should bring it back, but not over do it.
If they gave too many options then it would turn into an RPG.

Starchain1

A star
The weapons perfect acceapt for the hookshot which is now the the double clawshot(awsome) and about the boots I think they are not needed becuase anyone can make theirselves sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom