• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Electronic Music: Yea or Nae?

Do you like electronic music?

• Yea

Votes: 13 86.7%
  • Nae

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • ???

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Alita the Pun

Dmitri
Electronic music is becoming ever popular these days, however, there is also visible movement against it as certain people say that creating music digitally takes the skill out of the performance. Some say that it is a good genre because anyone with a laptop and headphones (and a good source of money bc equipment ain't cheap!) can express themselves musically and possibly become a hit. Still others are hardened against the music because of its sound. They don't like the harsh sounds that come from artists like Skrillex or Infected Mushroom. The fact is though, there are so many different styles of electronic music that are not as harsh and even quite melodic. I like some songs that my family and such think are awful but as a musician, I'm so interested by the choices in tempo, melodies and harmonies, sounds, effects, and feel of these songs that I cant help but be intrigued by them. Below I'll put some examples of just a few of the many types of electronic music that there are. Something that also amazes me (as I'm moving to thinking about producing electronic music of my own) is that electronic music artists usually have to create each sound in their songs. That means, you know that airy lead synth or that wobble bass that you hear in classic examples of dubstep? The artist had to create that sound from scratch. It's quite a process but a lot of fun. I had better stop now before I write an essay on electronic music lol.

Here is the list of songs I've compiled. I tried to give a wide range of songs here but you don't have to listen to all of them because I know there are a lot.

(this is theharder side of dubstep)

That's all the genre's main types I can think of offhand. If you guys think of any, I'd love to explore a new type of electronic music! I'll add them to the list if you give me a song. Do you like electronic music? If so? what is you're favorite type? If not? What don't you like about it?

Discuss!

Last edited:

karu

Panamaniac
I like electronic music.

It's as you say, there's many different genres that go into the electronic category; Skrillex and artist such as him are popular because their music is different from what everyone is used to, but that doesn't mean their style of electro is the only one. Also, there's some sounds or beats that one can only create using a computer and not an instrument, there's only so much that we as humans can do by ourselves.

Plus, some video game music from the earlier stages of technology counts as electronic and people enjoy them still to this day.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Honestly i like it more when it mixes with other genres. It's okay on its own, but combined with rock and orchestra it makes something incredible. That's my favorite type of music right now. People who say it takes the skill out of it sound like elitist snobs to me. I sure as heck wouldn't be able to make it even if you handed me the right tools. It takes skill just like any other music.

Alita the Pun

Dmitri
Honestly i like it more when it mixes with other genres. It's okay on its own, but combined with rock and orchestra it makes something incredible. That's my favorite type of music right now. People who say it takes the skill out of it sound like elitist snobs to me. I sure as heck wouldn't be able to make it even if you handed me the right tools. It takes skill just like any other music.

I think you would like this song!

there is also visible movement against it as certain people say that creating music digitally takes the skill out of the performance.
It gets a bad vibe because of DJs that just press a play button and clap their hands in the air during live performance but this fortunately is becoming less common. A musician (who wants to play live that is) worth their salt is going to put time in to their stage production and live sets. The most common early startup nowadays is using something like a launchpad that maps certain sounds and effects to the various controls.

electronic music artists usually have to create each sound in their songs. That means, you know that airy lead synth or that wobble bass that you hear in classic examples of dubstep? The artist had to create that sound from scratch.
This is partially true. Artists certainly want their own sound, but it doesn't always work that way, especially if there is a preset that gives a desirable sound. It's common to find artists using presets and IMO there is nothing wrong with using a sound that you didn't personally design.

If you guys think of any, I'd love to explore a new type of electronic music! Do you like electronic music? If so? what is you're favorite type?
I don't know if I have a favorite type but right now I'm really into Chillwave/Vaporwave/Retro Wave.

Examples :

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
I love electronic music that mixes with Metal or rock.

Some examples:

The only electronic stuff I can really stand that is pure electronic music is Daft Punk and Nine Inch Nails.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Electronic music is becoming ever popular these days, however, there is also visible movement against it as certain people say that creating music digitally takes the skill out of the performance. Some say that it is a good genre because anyone with a laptop and headphones (and a good source of money bc equipment ain't cheap!) can express themselves musically and possibly become a hit. Still others are hardened against the music because of its sound. They don't like the harsh sounds that come from artists like Skrillex or Infected Mushroom. The fact is though, there are so many different styles of electronic music that are not as harsh and even quite melodic. I like some songs that my family and such think are awful but as a musician, I'm so interested by the choices in tempo, melodies and harmonies, sounds, effects, and feel of these songs that I cant help but be intrigued by them. Below I'll put some examples of just a few of the many types of electronic music that there are. Something that also amazes me (as I'm moving to thinking about producing electronic music of my own) is that electronic music artists usually have to create each sound in their songs. That means, you know that airy lead synth or that wobble bass that you hear in classic examples of dubstep? The artist had to create that sound from scratch. It's quite a process but a lot of fun. I had better stop now before I write an essay on electronic music lol.

Here is the list of songs I've compiled. I tried to give a wide range of songs here but you don't have to listen to all of them because I know there are a lot.

(this is theharder side of dubstep)

That's all the genre's main types I can think of offhand. If you guys think of any, I'd love to explore a new type of electronic music! I'll add them to the list if you give me a song. Do you like electronic music? If so? what is you're favorite type? If not? What don't you like about it?

Discuss!

I love Electronic music. Especially EDM, Trance and Electro Industrial which I noticed you don't have on your list.

Dan

I've always loved electronic music but haven't been very vocal about my admiration for it, it's typically the genre that gets **** on the most.
I love house, electronic swing(which I didn't even realise was a thing until a couple months back), trance, EDM, chiptune, synthwave and surprisingly even some dubstep(thank you Saints Row), although it usually has to be mixed in with another genre.

Synthwave/retrowave has been a huge favourite of mine for a while now. M107 already posted resonance which is probably one of the most popular synthwave pieces out there now.

Here's a really great video that goes in depth as to why we get that nostlagic feeling when listening to it. I don't know much about music but I found the way it's used to invoke certain emotional responses to be very interesting.

I added Electro Orchestral, trance metal, and Vaporwave to the list. :)

I think vaporwave is the meme version. I think retrowave would be a better word to use as it apparently encompasses the following:
Retrowave/ Synthwave/ Dreamwave/ Cyberpunk/ Retro-Electro/ Chillwave/ Trillwave/ Synthpop/ Synthfunk

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
That depends...

Is it the Tron: Legacy soundtrack? Because if so, then yes.

My favorite music artist/group is The Crystal Method. So it's safe to say I like electronic music. Also, if you've enjoyed video game music for any portion of its early history, so do you. =P

I agree that it takes the skill out of performance, but it also opens up opportunities for perfecting the sound. Some people have argued that some music is great because of its flaws, and I would agree, but I also think that's only one avenue to create something. More important than anything, to me, is the kinds of sounds and things you can do with electronic music. Dubstep, for example, features sounds that to the best of my knowledge cannot be accurately recreated through physical instruments. The single most important thing about electronic music's existence that no one should overlook and yet many do, is the simple fact that its existence has expanded the field of music in general. There is simply more now. And that's a good thing.

I've always loved genre mashups and that's something I like with electronic music as well. I'm a massive fan of the music in Muramasa: The Demon Blade as a direct example:

That violin! Those chimes! And that SICK ELECTRONIC BEAT. Come on, this stuff is awesome! =D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom