• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

OoT-N64 Dungeons: Where's the Backstory?

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
How come there's no backstory to most of the dungeons? Don't get me wrong, I LOVE mystery in my Zelda games.......but not even a little background info? I first thought of this when heading through the Sacred Grove in Ocarina of Time to the Forest Temple. When you go into the gardens in the dungeon, look up, the tip of the walls resemble that of a castles wall. Why are there gardens in a gungeon/temple? Why are there wells and water? I'm pretty sure Stalfos can't drink water. Also, do the Stalfos resemble knights for the "Forest Kingdom?" Could it have been destroyed in the Unification War? This isn't the only dungeon worth mentioning. Ikana Kingdom, too.

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
And so the people of Termina can point giant phallus pillars at the gods
You MUST get a screenshot of the said pillars. Do they really look like that? I know there's a phallic castle on the cover of The Little Mermaid...so it wouldnt be the first time a kid friendly company put something dirty in one of its masterpieces.

And remember that stalfoses arent the only monster that inhabit the forest temple. Deku babas are plants, plants need water. Wolfoses would need to drink too. The trees and shrubs in the forest need water as well.

From what I played, Dodongo's cavern served some sort of importance to the Gorons, right? Haven't played in a while, but I'm pretty sure most of the dungeons can serve a purpose to the races of the overworld.

Kaepora Gaebora on the Water Temple:

At the lake bottom there is
a Water Temple used to worship
the water spirits. The Zoras are
guardians of the temple.

So at least one is explained in-game somewhat.

Although we do have this:

Shadow Temple...
Here is gathered Hyrule's bloody
history of greed and hatred...

While nothing explicit is said, there are hints. At least part of the Temple could be a crypt and there is also signs it was used as a torture facility of some kind. The Sheikah obviously have some influence over it (Impa being the Sage of Shadow), perhaps it is where they put the enemies of the King? Or maybe it was used as a PoW camp during the Hyrule Civil War. Either way the Shadow Temple if rife with hints of a very dark past, it paints a very disturbing picture that no other Zelda game (sans MM obviously) has really ever touched. Part of the reason I think the N64 games were the peak of the series. They mastered balancing the light and dark of Link's world.

From what I played, Dodongo's cavern served some sort of importance to the Gorons, right? Haven't played in a while, but I'm pretty sure most of the dungeons can serve a purpose to the races of the overworld.

Yes it was the Gorons main source of food. When Ganondorf blocked the entrance the Gorons were starving because they claimed all the 'delicious' and 'nutritious' rocks were found there.

Last edited:
Yes it was the Gorons main source of food. When Ganondorf blocked the entrance the Gorons were starving because they claimed all the 'delicious' and 'nutritious' rocks were found there.

Ah, I couldn't remember if they were looking for food source or bomb flowers. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Dragoncat

I like the idea about the Shadow Temple being a prisoner camp. Only problem is, such places usually arent built so close to towns...unless Kakariko was built after the war, that would be a conflict. Anyway you left me with an interesting thought. Remember the boat that you have to play Zelda's Lullaby on, and it goes for awhile, then crashes? Maybe a few prisoners were tied up there and killed that way. And maybe the stalfoses you fight on it are them.

Each dungeon seems to hint at a back-story, but it is very rare that the plot goes into detail behind it. It is likely that Nintendo - like with many other things - leaves it to the player to fill in the blanks. For example, the Spirit Temple suggests a back-story that involves worship of a [Sand] Goddess in the traditional temple sense, as well as a burial site given its ancient tomb-like appearance. The Haunted Wasteland which covers the immediate vicinity of the temple seems to suggest that a great deal of effort went into pleasing the Goddess [of Sand], just trekking to the temple alone. Also, if the temple served as a burial site, then it must have been a chore to transport the deceased.

This is only my take on it. Take note that it took a bit of imagination, but I made use of in-game hints.

It'd have been neat if each dungeon was given a detailed back-story, but unfortunately, all we're left with are hints and our imagination...

Last edited by a moderator:
They did say that when the Male Gerudo were born every thousand years that they becaome kings thus they would need a royal burial ground that would seem holy and beyond existance thus meaning you have to go thorugh death, the haunted wasteland, to find a restful peace, the spirit temple. though i would hate to see how peacful the rest is with levers banging on your doors everyday.......

but what about the fire temple.....? would it have been a castle that the ancient gorons built to house Volvagia so that she wouldn't eat them...... then they trapped her in there and killed her...... murderers..... lol

Dragoncat

They did say that when the Male Gerudo were born every thousand years that they becaome kings thus they would need a royal burial ground that would seem holy and beyond existance thus meaning you have to go thorugh death, the haunted wasteland, to find a restful peace, the spirit temple. though i would hate to see how peacful the rest is with levers banging on your doors everyday.......
Male gerudos are born once every 100 years, not 1000. Simple mistake :) And yeah, that sounds logical. As for not being able to rest because of noise...dead people can't hear xD The soul would be in wherever the afterlife is, it would just be the body in the spirit temple.

Skunk

Floof
The Deku Tree has the most backstory, seeing as he is an actual character and a dungeon. In a sense though, the same could be said for Jabu-Jabu. They are very similar, both deities, both getcursed with parasites...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom