• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Dual Typed Dungeons You Would Like to See

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
By "dual typed", I mean things like Goron Mines. It was a fire dungeon, but also had a mechanical theme to it. Lanayru Mining Facility is another good example, with sand and technology.

I feel that dungeons can be divided into these types:

Fire
Water
Ice
Darkness
Wind
Forest
Desert
Earth
Tech

Examples in the same order:

Dragon Roost Cavern(WW)
Water Temple(OoT)
Snowpeak Ruins(TP)
Shadow Temple(OoT)
City in the Sky(TP)
Forbidden Woods(WW)
Arbiter's Grounds(TP, doubles as darkness)
Dodongo's Cavern(OoT, doubles as fire)
Tower of the Gods(WW, doubles as water)

So the examples I gave of dual typed dungeons at the beginning of the post? They share the tech type. Goron Mines is fire and tech, Lanayru Mining Facility is desert and tech. Thought about including an electricity type, but it's not common enough in Zelda and tech covers it. Same with light, it's used in a few dungeons but it's never really a major theme.

Pick some type combos you want to see, explain, and discuss.

MW7

An idea I had was to have a dungeon that you go through twice. The first time it would be ice-themed and everything would be frozen, but the second time everything is melted (either by progressing through the story or obtaining an item) and you explore what's under the ice. I can see a lot of these elements working well together though. For instance darkness and fire would be pretty cool. I could imagine a dungeon that's pitch black except for your items, torches, and enemies. You could be walking along trying to figure out where you're going when all of a sudden the room is illuminated by a dodongo breathing fire. Great idea for a thread! This would be an awesome way to add some more variety to dungeons.

Well in all fairness those are typical dungeons/levels for lotsa games, Final Fantasy, Golden Sun, Mario Bros, Duck Tales. The trick for game designers is to make it memorable,

I've heard there a fire/ice dungeon in one of the Oracle games? Plus there are some really unique dungeons that have nothing to do with elements.
The Unicorn's Lair has that awesome magnet thing going on.
There's the less awesome Key Cavern

some of the ones I'd like to see...
Wind/Ice
Water/Desert
Light/Dark

Dragoncat

MW7 said:
An idea I had was to have a dungeon that you go through twice. The first time it would be ice-themed and everything would be frozen, but the second time everything is melted (either by progressing through the story or obtaining an item) and you explore what's under the ice.
That would be pretty cool, no pun intended. Maybe you can see something important that's frozen the first time because the ice is transparent. Then you would think: "I need to find a way to get that!"

Farore's Chosen said:
Plus there are some really unique dungeons that have nothing to do with elements.
The Unicorn's Lair has that awesome magnet thing going on.
That's tech.

Farore's Chosen said:
some of the ones I'd like to see...
Wind/Ice
Water/Desert
Light/Dark
Wind/Ice: Brrr! That's all I can say when I think of it...we all know what it feels like when it's blowing and snowing.

Water/Desert: Kinda been done already with SS' Sandship.

Light/Dark: ALBW kinda did this with the Dark Palace. It's mainly a darkness dungeon, but it has parts where you use the lamp...

That would be pretty cool, no pun intended. Maybe you can see something important that's frozen the first time because the ice is transparent. Then you would think: "I need to find a way to get that!"

That's tech.

Wind/Ice: Brrr! That's all I can say when I think of it...we all know what it feels like when it's blowing and snowing.

Water/Desert: Kinda been done already with SS' Sandship.

Light/Dark: ALBW kinda did this with the Dark Palace. It's mainly a darkness dungeon, but it has parts where you use the lamp...

Wind/Ice-I was thinking in terms of using hot and cold air vents to freeze/melt the ice to get to where you need to be.

well that was on the way to the sandship. putting it in a dungeon would be fun.

Light/Dark-I know and I loved every minute of it, one of my top fave Zelda Dungeons.

Sky/Tech-an airship dungeon would be cool

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
Light/Darkness: Maybe a Dungeon where it's really light and angelic at the top, and then a staircase leads to a dark and demonic basement. Kind of like how the Ancient Cistern was peaceful and serene at the base level, and the bottom was demonic with skulls littering the floor. Something similar to that, heck, maybe the Light Arrows could be the dungeon item, and then there could be an evil boss? Just an idea.

Darkness/Forest: If you really wanted to freak players out, then a dark forest is the way to go. Maybe something where the Skull Kid could come into play?

Tech: We've seen tech with a few other concepts, such as desert, but I'd like to see what else they can do with this concept.

Wind/Desert: Obviously the Sand Rod could come into play here, but I also feel these two concepts would be the perfect opportunity to create sand storms. Also, I wouldn't be opposed to there being quicksand that actually leads to places instead of "killing" Link. Perhaps they could be marked with a special pattern, like the Gerudo symbol?

Dragoncat

Wind/Desert: Obviously the Sand Rod could come into play here, but I also feel these two concepts would be the perfect opportunity to create sand storms. Also, I wouldn't be opposed to there being quicksand that actually leads to places instead of "killing" Link. Perhaps they could be marked with a special pattern, like the Gerudo symbol?
Except it's not realistic to have quicksand with patterns on it, unless you mean a sign by it.

Good ideas! But Dark Forest has been done with Skull Woods...kinda.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
Except it's not realistic to have quicksand with patterns on it, unless you mean a sign by it.
Err, LoZ was never really meant to be so realistic, so to have swirling patterns in quicksand wouldn't be too outrageous. When in doubt, maybe so flags stationed by pools of quicksand? Kinda like how the flags in OoT guided Link to the Spirit Temple.

Dragoncat said:
Good ideas! But Dark Forest has been done with Skull Woods...kinda.
Yeah, that's where I initially got the idea from, but maybe they could expand on it?

Dragoncat

Err, LoZ was never really meant to be so realistic, so to have swirling patterns in quicksand wouldn't be too outrageous. When in doubt, maybe so flags stationed by pools of quicksand? Kinda like how the flags in OoT guided Link to the Spirit Temple.
Yeah I suppose the patterns can be magic based...but I do like flags or signs better.

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
1. Ice and Darkness
I'm a big supporter of a darker Zelda. I think the hero with the triforce of courage should showcase it by going through really scary dungeon. And with a ice element added, it could make for a very unique and memorable dungeon.

2. Darkness and Forest
Again, prove your courage. And with the forest added in, I'm thinking of a TP lost woods/OoT forest temple thing goes on. Erie music, stuctures taken over by vegetation, creepy insect enemies. Sounds like some fun. And it wouldn't be too far from what Zelda games actually do anyway. I'm just suggesting something a little more extreme.

3. Water and Tech
Whenever I imagine these two together, all the water-themed dungeons come to mind. Water temple (OoT and MM), Tower of the Gods, Bottom of Lake Hylia (TP), and the Ancient Cistern (I know, but old things can be techy, too). I say just recycle the ol' use water to solve puzzles, thing. Works great, why change it?

I want a Dark/Tech-based dungeon, as shown in Twilight Princess—but only in appearance—loosely based on the manipulation of the four natural forces: strong (nuclear), weak (nuclear), electromagnetism, and gravity. Puzzle elements would involve using these forces via various triggers, devices, or even items in order to advance through the dungeon and defeat the boss. Shutting off and the dungeon's "gravity" would cause certain parts of the dungeon to rise or levitate and fall to the ground, magnetism would attract or repel two objects or elements together, the weak and strong forces would cause small, broken objects and elements to crumble or decay and then be reassembled again. The dungeon in itself would probably be labeled as a non-elemental dungeon, above all else, though. :u

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
Hmmm.

Darkness + Tech.

You have to solve technical puzzles and gears in order to light your way in the darkness. It could be like a mine - a Goron mineral mine or maybe even a crypt that Sheikah had to put light and electricity into in order to navigate to bury the dead/do rituals, or maybe it's even just a cave or dungeon-system beneath Hyrule Castle that has been forgotten about over the centuries that has loads of lost technology from the days when it used to be operative. Link has to figure out a way to get the mysterious old machines there working to light everything up... or he'll be lost in the dark, fall through traps, get eaten by unseen enemies that lurk in the darkness.

I also think something that involves

Technology OR Magic and MOVEMENT.

I think it would be cool if there was a MOVING dungeon, preferably in one of the more "tech" version of Hyrule, perhaps one that comes after Spirit Tracks. The "dungeon" is a train, or perhaps something like moving temple (they could blantantly rip off "Howl's Moving Castle!" ) - though... I'd actually rather have the "dungeon" be a speeding train. Link has to hit switches to keep from falling through the floor onto the rails or roadway. Link has to solve puzzles to keep moving through different sections of the vehicle. If he defeats the Boss, the train is saved. If he fails to, everything goes off a cliff. (Actually, I may want to save this idea for if I ever start working on that remake of "The Great Desert" I started and lost gumption for... I did actually want to have a "shootout on a train / saving a train from a blown-bridge" chapter...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom