• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Dual- Layered Disc?

Link19x

Freak on a leash xp
just earlier today, I went to gamestop and got my copy of Metroid: other m. As you might imagine, I was very happy. Until I got home and put the game in the wii. My wii was unable to read the disc, because of the dual-layered crap thing. way to go nintendo-.-. this is the same thing that happened to me with smash bros brawl. and I am not going to send my wii for repairs because last time i did that, my wii only worked for like a few months, then it stopped working again. And I seriously dont have enough money to buy me another wii. If your thinking, " How is this skyward sword related?" well here it is. I am very worried that skyward sword might have the same dual layered disc. If it does, I will be extremely sad and pissed off, as might many other fans that are having the same problem. Now what about you guys? do you think skyward sword will have a double layered disc?

ZeldafreakCJM

Hey there, it's me.
The minute you said Super Smash Brothers Brawl I realized exactly what problem your having, you see the lens on the wii tends to get dirty fast! so instead of having people send in their wii constenly Nintendo released this nifty little thing http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=74024 .
Basically I had the same problem and was going to send in my wii until I found this. it works fine and is cheap.

ZeldafreakCJM

Hey there, it's me.
SSBB is Dual Layer Disk correct? and I bought my Wii on November 2006, guess what problem I had, the same screen would constently pop up saying that the Disk could not be read. Now guess why, from what I can gather when the lens gets dirty it has trouble penetrating the second layer of the disk thus producing that screen. The Item I left a link for cleans the lens so the Wii can read the disk.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
I'm not sure it's going to have a dual layered disc. From what I can gather, those dual layered discs are for HUGE games that have TONS upon TONS of content, both within the main game and extras. Two games I know for sure that have dual layered discs as examples are Brawl (for obvious reasons) and Metroid Prime Trilogy (three games each with a lot of stuff will DEFINATELY require a dual layer disc).

And with Skyward Sword, my guess is that it'll have at the most the same amount of content as Twilight Princess (which I'm pretty sure doesn't have a dual layered disc: if anybody knows otherwise, tell me now) from what we've heard (it only has a handful of items and it seems like it's gonna be more sidequest heavy like MM and WW, so that balances out). However, the graphics probably will end up taking up a little more space than the graphics of TP as well as all the special programming for the WMP, but TP is just a GC game (the Wii version is only a port) and the Wii has upgraded space capacities and stuff (lol, obvious), so chances are, it can easily handle it.

And besides, on the off chance that it does end up with a dual layered disc, either you don't experience any problems (believe it or not, this is the case with me: I've owned a Wii since September '07 and still haven't experienced any lense problems ever) or you just buy one of those lense cleaners from GameStop or where ever to fix that problem.

I bought just a regular lens cleaner CD at superstore, and I put it in my Wii like 10 times, because it stopped spinning right away, and i wanted the CD brushes to get at the lens. But I bought it for 8.99, and it worked. My Metroid Other M worked and everything is all good! for 9 bucks. Well it'd be sweet if SS was a dual layered disk because that means there is a TON of content, and I like content :)

Aero_Dynamic

エアロダイナミック
....what's a dual-layered disc? I've had my Wii for like 2 years I think, and the first time I put SSBB, it was fine and it works well. So far, my Wii has been perfectly healthy? Can someone tell me what is a dual-layered disc, and what does it do to your Wii?? How can you tell if a game is dual-layered?

Kazumi

chagy
....what's a dual-layered disc? I've had my Wii for like 2 years I think, and the first time I put SSBB, it was fine and it works well. So far, my Wii has been perfectly healthy? Can someone tell me what is a dual-layered disc, and what does it do to your Wii?? How can you tell if a game is dual-layered?

A dual-layered disc is a DVD that has almost twice the capacity of a regular DVD. A standard Wii DVD can hold about 4.7GB of data, or the same as any regular DVD. A dual-layered DVD, which I believe is the standard for 360, can hold about 8.5GB of data. Only two Wii games so far have needed this, and they are Super Smash Bros Brawl and Metroid Prime Trilogy. I believe Other M may have needed a dual-layered disc as well. Simply because they have so much data. Your average Wii game is between 1.5GB and 4GB. So a regular DVD is almost always enough. If my memory serves, Twilight Princess was the standard 1.4GB as it was a GameCube game, and that is roughly the size of all GameCube games. I highly doubt that Skyward Sword will need a dual layered disc, as the amount of content that is expected to be in the game is already underwhelming. I see it being a bit under 2GB. My guess is 1.8GB, which is the same for games like Super Mario Galaxy 2 or Sin and Punishment 2. It could also be large for a completely random reason, like the original Super Mario Galaxy or Kirby's Epic Yarn. The only way I see it being dual-layered is if it is VERY cinematic, like Other M. Unlikely though.

Conclusion: it probably won't be dual-layered. Even if it is, a simple lens cleaner should fix all problems anyway. It worked for me.

Aero_Dynamic

エアロダイナミック
Well, if it's true that SSBB is dual-layered, whats the problem? My Wii still works perfectly fine! So if Skyward Sword is dual-layered, my Wii's gonna die on me!? Goodness..... sigh~

A dual-layered disk is a disk that has 2 layers to save more stuff into the disk (Think of it as 2 disks in one). It doesnt do anything to your Wii, if a dual-layered disk doesnt work on your Wii you need to clean the disk drive's lense with the lense cleaner: http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/acc/cleaningKit.jsp

If that doesn't work you will need to send it in to Nintendo for a free repair and you'll get an extended warranty. I would only send it in as a last resort because they WILL replace your motherboard, disk drive, etc to new ones that have better anti-piracy/homebrew (which will cause in you losing your saves, etc).

My friend sent in his Wii lately because of the dual-layered problem and he lost everything (except his Wii Shop account).

If that doesn't work you will need to send it in to Nintendo for a free repair and you'll get an extended warranty. I would only send it in as a last resort because they WILL replace your motherboard, disk drive, etc to new ones that have better anti-piracy/homebrew (which will cause in you losing your saves, etc).

My friend sent in his Wii lately because of the dual-layered problem and he lost everything (except his Wii Shop account).

Shouldn't replacing your motherboard and disk drive for a newer one be a good thing? (of course, unless you're into piracy)
As for the saves, can't you simply keep them safe inside an SD card?

He stated the problem was that he had a dual layered disk. I doubt the lens has much to do with it, old Wii's just don't support Dual Layered Discs.

I beg to differ... I got my week the week or maybe the second week it came out and I've never encountered a problem like this. I don't know the problem but I'd suggest cleaning the lens!! :D

Last edited:
Shouldn't replacing your motherboard and disk drive for a newer one be a good thing? (of course, unless you're into piracy)
As for the saves, can't you simply keep them safe inside an SD card?

I'm not into piracy, but I am into Homebrew though.

It's not a good thing, but it isnt bad either.
You cant save WiFi games like Brawl, Mario Kart, etc on the SD Card. You will also lose your Miis, pictures, friend codes, and Check Mii Out Account.

A new motherboard doesnt benefit anyone but Nintendo, the older ones have the same functionality as the new ones and you can install "BootMii" (Brick protection) as "boot2" (secondary boot sector on the Wii) on them making your Wii basically unbrickable (you can't install it on the new Wiis because the bug in boot1 was fixed). You can also play DVD movies with the old disk drives.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom