• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Donkey Kong Country Returns Review

Fahxy

Grand Campaigner
Sorry this has taken so long, but here goes: Fahxy's official Donkey Kong Country Returns Review.

Premise: DKCR is a 2.5D platforming game featuring one of Nintendo's flagship franchise characters, Donkey Kong, and his nephew Diddy Kong. There are 8 worlds to play through, with such exotic locales as Jungle, Clifftop, Ocean, and many others. This game continues the (untill recently) dormant DK Country series of SNES fame.

Gameplay:The game has your standard 2-d gameplay, with a few tweaks. You jump, leap, roll, crawl, and climb your way to the end of a level. You can collect the 4 KONG letters in each level, variously numbered puzzle peices, coins, and bananas. KONG letters, if all are collected in a world, will open up a bonus level. Puzzle peices unlock concept art and music tracks. Coins can be spent in Cranky Kong's shop, and bananas will give you a life if you collect 100 of them. The gameplay is well-balanced and very fun, and also extremely challenging at times. The bonus levels in each world are right devils, let me tell you that. The collectables give a lot of challenging replayability. Also, you can go through the whole adventure with a friend playing as Diddy kong, which can be really fun. However, what truly stops this game from becoming stale are the simply awesome mine cart and rocket barrel levels. These levels are so fast-paced and exhilarating that you won't mind coming back for KONG letters and puzzle peices (which searching for can get frustrating.)

Graphics: This game exudes a lot of character in the presentation departments, and that fact makes for a very enjoyable game. Donkey and Diddy are well-rendered with fluid movement and amusing characteristics, and the enemies look great. The actual stages are well done, but the backgrounds are truly amazing. From mysterious ruins to intricate forest treetop dwellings to breathtaking sunsets, this game has some beautiful settings. Also, you will find that the special sunset stages are a real treat.

Sound: Ah, this game has GREAT sound. The sound effects are nice, the grunts, groans, and squeaks of strange animals and enemies are very well done, but the music is where it all comes out. From perfect, nostalgia inducing music remastered from the original DKC games to catchy new tunes made specifically for this game, the music stands out. I can not commend Retro studios enough for the perfectly done audio in this, their first entry into the Donkey Kong franchise.

Conclusion: Honestly, this game wuld have nabbed Game of the Year for Wii if Mario Galaxy 2 hadn't already been there, flaunting its IGN 10 in everyone's faces (Don't get me wrong, I do think that Mario Galaxy 2 deserved it.... but still). The beautiful graphics, great gameplay, and perfectly done music add up to a truly stellar game, and no-one should miss this amazing game. Honestly, there is NOTHING I can really complain about, an that is something special in its own right.

Graphics: 9/10
Gameplay:9.5/10
Music: 10/10
Total Score: 9.5/10 with a title of DOWNRIGHTFREAKINGAWESOMEKUPO!!!!

P.S.
Please comment your praise/critiques! I really like hearing your feedback and suggestions.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
Here is my thread discussing my opinion on Donkey Kong Country Returns. My opinion was different from yours, I wasn't very impressed by this game. Well, we all have different views.

SuperGanondorf

Ballos's Minion
Great review!

I thought this game was excellent, and personally I thought it deserved Game of the Year over Galaxy any day. The only thing I didn't like about this game was the motion control. Shake to hand-slap, fine, that works. But mapping somersaulting to a shake was a horrible design choice, as most of the rolling you need to do requires far more consistent and accurate timing than shaking the Wii remote can handle. Beyond that, however, I loved this game as much as you did. A great review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom