• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Does Zelda Need a "blast from the Past"?

Do you think that Zelda needs a "blast from the past"? By that, I mean for it to become less steampunk and modern, and more like old Zelda Games - With less modern technology, more based around magic?
I really think they should. The problem is, how would they do that? Nintendo could always make another game, just set in the past, but they don't seem to do that, they seem to jump ahead with each new game.
Which means that theoretically they would have to start a whole new timeline, which would make for interesting debates....what do you think? Should they set a game in the past?

Hanyou

didn't build that
If the old Zelda games were all medieval-ish and less steampunk, why would Nintendo have to reboot to return to that style? Most of the games being released now take place before the older Zelda games.

Anyway, I personally like steampunk elements in Zelda, as long as they don't supplant the sword and sorcery--they never seem to. Some of the most interesting dungeons have that sort of technology. A lot of people (including myself) thought the Goron Mines, for instance, were a high point of Twilight Princess--they were a lot of fun, and while they were more technology-based, they didn't feel out of place with anything else. Meanwhile, the whole of Majora's Mask and The Wind Waker take advantage of steampunk-like machinery. It's not at all that far removed from the machinery of the traditional Zelda games. Both A Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time had their own brand of technology--it might not have seemed quite as electricity-driven, but it was certainly machinery.

So I don't think it's necessary, but I wouldn't mind. One of the things Nintendo's managed to do with the Zelda franchise is radically change the tone and direction of each individual game without affecting the series. One or two games which are more fantasy-based may even be welcomed.

But Zelda really has its own sort of technology that's difficult to classify by this world's standards, so the "blast from the past" could just as well co-exist with trains and steamboats. The Zelda franchise hasn't reached Final Fantasy VI levels of technology quite yet. When it does, maybe Nintendo can give serious thought to removing technology altogether from one of their next games.

Maybe. By "Blast from the past" I meant technology wise. It seems that, yes, it modernizing in technology for the toon link games and stuff, but Some of the tech it has is ahead of ours. Did you see in one of the trailers from spirit tracks, the train went underwater? We Don't have trains that can do that, unless you count the channel tunnel, between France and the Uk, which protects the trains from water- the Spirit tracks train went by itself. That sort of thing is why I think they need to step back on the technology-or at least involve magic more, as it's use seems to be gradually dwindling, in Zelda games, I think the return of spell's would be nice. By the way, what is the tech like in Final Fantasy VI?

Kazumi

chagy
I really don't think that Nintendo needs to "backtrack" and become medieval..ish.. In fact, there is no setting a video game I that I like more then a mystical enchanted land with magical stuff, and forests and mountains and deserts, with steampunk technology. It really is something I like. And I believe, as much as I hate to say it, that Twilight Princess did this most excellently. Hyrule still feels like a mystical forgotten land, but with many elements of industrialization, and a lot more late Renaissance like. It's the perfect example of the type of Hyrule I like. I can't say that I really liked the layout, or general design of the overworld in TP, but I still loves the feel it gives me. And it looks like Spirit Tracks is taking the same mystical, yet steampunk path of TP. And it looks like it's doing it better. Overworld wise that is.

But, no. I do not think that Zelda needs a "blast from the past". If indeed that is what you are asking. I believe that it is just perfect how it is right now.

R

rnddim

I find they're making a lot of games after the flooding of Hyrule. I heard the Wii-only Zelda title coming out soon is a direct sequel to one of the Zelda 64 titles (I heard it was a direct sequel to OoT, but not sure). I would like to see some more games with the Hero of Time Link. It'd be a shame if they focused on After the Flood games.
Technology-wise, as long as they don't discover electricity, I think the series will be fine. (Then again, only Nintendo could possibly make electricity fit into Zelda...)

CZG

<H2 class="title icon icon0">Does Zelda Need a "blast from the Past"?

YES!</H2>
(50 character limit again)

Yes. That, and a top down view like a link to the past or minish cap. It should be on wii. and if it is, you have to swing your wiimote to the left or right to attack.

I wouldn't mind a slightly modernized zelda as long as they do it right(like goron mines tp). I don't want a train or a space ship or something like that. It would also be good if nintendo had a blast from the past.

CZG

Yes. That, and a top down view like a link to the past or minish cap. It should be on wii. and if it is, you have to swing your wiimote to the left or right to attack.

Yes! That, and that you have to switch hands when facing to the east, so you hold your shield toward death mountain. You know, like Link was double handed in A Link to the Past. Heh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom