• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Does Backwards Compatibility Matter To You?

A Link In Time

To Overcome Harder Challenges
ZD Legend
A discussion in the SB prompted this thread.

The Wii U is compatible with all Wii software and peripherals; downloadable PS3 games can be transferred over to PS4, but the PS4 cannot play PS3 discs; concrete details regarding Xbox One backwards compatibility have yet to be announced although the system will likely follow suit with the PS4.

Does backwards compatibility matter to you? As someone who traditionally purchase games on disc and likes to keep newer hardware in a convenient, easy to access location and relocates older systems to the basement, backwards compatibility is very important. I want to do as much as possible using as few devices as possible.

Post your stance on backwards compatibility below.

ILU

i luv u
Doesn't matter to me. I appreciate the convenience, but I'm the type of gamer that collects all the systems I can get my hands on, so BC is never an issue for me.

yes it does but evenif its not backwards compatable its not a deal breaker, its just takes up less space and i dont have to switch out cables

Last edited:

DarkLink17

Well then
Doesn't matter to me. I appreciate the convenience, but I'm the type of gamer that collects all the systems I can get my hands on, so BC is never an issue for me.

Same here, I just collect all the systems so I can play any game whenever. Just have to dig it out of storage.

Only slightly. I love older games, but I'll just play the older games on those systems. It has no bearing on my decision to buy a PS4, and I am super excited for it.

Mudora

Innocent but not fearful.
I like backwards compatibility and think it's important. It's one of the aspects I debate about when deciding to buy a new console.

If I own the previous system, it's completely unnecessary. If I don't, it's a nice feature, but I don't see it as a necessity.

Kirino

Tatakae
It's inconvenient to have to lug both systems around instead of it just being backwards-compatible, and I could just sell my old console and make money if it were. It isn't a necessity, but It's definitely something that I look for.

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
The fact I didn't own a wii, and the Wii U is backwards compatible is a selling point to me vs the X1 and PS4.

I own a 360 so I dont' care about X1 not having it, but if didn't own a 360 and kinda wanted to enjoy some major titles I missed this generation, the x1 would not allow me to do so.

But for instance the Wii U will let me enjoy some titles I missed out on when I can eventually afford one.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
BC ain't **** just saying...if you want to play those games, go grab the original console (trust me they won't cost a lot unless you're shooting for a legitimate SNES or NES). ;)

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
Yes, backwards compatibility matters to me. It gives a console more games options, and you save space on your TV-bench because you don't need a different console for every type of game you own.

I probably would have resisted upgrading to the 360 had it not allowed me to play my favourite X-box games on it. I've immensely enjoyed the fact that the Wii plays GC games, since I never owned a Gamecube myself and wanted the option to try out some of the games I missed in that generation (that also made N64 downloads easier to play as there was an option to plug in a GC controller - since the classic controller was designed primarily for SNES type games and really isn't all that ideal to play N64).

Ever since backwards compatibility was introduced it's become something I expect from a console. All home consoles operate with the disc format, now, giving them no excuse to shirk on the backwards compatibility. And Nintendo's also proven with the GBA->DS and DS->3DS that it's more than possible to do the same with cartridges.

Consoles are expensive to buy, meaning you need to have actual games to play on it before even considering buying one. Without backwards compatibility this means a very limited game selection in the beginning, and most people aren't all that keen to shell out hundreds of bucks for a gaming console they can't even utilize properly until a year or two after its initial release. It makes more sense for consumers to hold back from purchasing until the console can offer a better library of games, and by that time the price of the console will also have dropped, meaning you get more value for your money by waiting...

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Doesn't matter to me in the slightest. It's not something I even factor into a purchase. I'd live quite happily without it, to not drive console prices up and limit what sometimes can be done.

If I buy a new console, it's for what that new console is offering. End of. Also, when I buy a new console, like a PS4, I don't then smash up my PS3. This isn't a clause in the purchase of a new console that manufacturer's put in. I'll play any PS3 games on my PS3. And I have every intention of just playing PS4 games on my PS4, too. I'll buy the odd port, remake, or old game on PSN but that's hardly a deal-breaker for me either.

So, my real opinion of BC is I really just don't care. If it's in, cool. If it's not, that's cool too.

Musicfan

the shadow mage
Backwards compatiblity is a major factor for me for one simple reason unlike a lot of people here(from what I can gather) I dont have enough space for every single Consol and handheld.

Also I dont have the money for a whole string of consols

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom