• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do you visit older entries in a series?

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
Say there's a game you've played that you really enjoy, but that game is part of a series. Would you take the time to go back and play the older installments of that series, even if the games span console generations? Or do you just leave it be and look forward to the next installments? Or do you pick and choose what to go back to?

I myself would generally like to play some of the earliest games I can so I can have a newfound perspective of the game in question. Zelda games are an easy example where I've just about played every Zelda game prior to the GameCube era, which was where I started. Though one example I have against this is the Grand Theft Auto series. I started w/ the PS2 games like 3 and Vice City, but honestly, I don't really have a need to go back and play the overhead view GTAs.
Do any of you have any similar examples?

Most games in a series are just better versions of the same thing. Zero need to play the older games. Series like Zelda on the other hand are actually different experiences for each game and playing the old games are worth it.

I'll rarely go back and play through a whole series but i do go back and play some of my favourites while waiting for the next in the series if I'm excited for it.

I often marathon Kirby games and the 3D Zelda games.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
Most games in a series are just better versions of the same thing. Zero need to play the older games. Series like Zelda on the other hand are actually different experiences for each game and playing the old games are worth it.
so b/c I've played Resident Evil 6 and Final Fantasy 13,there's no need for me to play the older games right? and as for Zelda, when I first played ocarina of time, it just felt like a watered down version of twilight princess, so going by this, there wouldn't have been a need for me to play oot at all, right?
[by the way the RE and FF example was hypothetical, I have indeed played the older games]

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
I really like History so when I get into a newer game that is a part of a franchise that has been around for a while. For example I played Assassin's Creed Syndicate because I got it on sale last black friday and it surprisingly enjoyed it. It made me interested in playing the older games in the series like 1,2,4, and Unity. It was interesting looking back and seeing where the series started and how it changed over time and got better and worse over time. Another example is PT. Yes, the teaser for Silent Hills made me interested in playing earlier entries in the series. Because of PT I got Silent Hill 2 and I'm interested in getting Silent Hill 1, 3, and 4. Same with GTA recently. I only played 3 when I was younger and 5 got me interested in playing Vice City, San Andreas, and 4. So yes, I do enjoy visiting older entries in a series.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
It depends on how much I like the series, and also how well the older installments have held up. For Zelda, I have played all but FSA, and some of them have held up well by retro game standards. The mechanics are still enjoyable for the most part for me, barring the first two games.

Now, I've tried to play the first Rune Factory games, and they're a lot less polished than 3 & 4, which made it really hard for me to get into them. 3 & 4 are still the only ones I've completed, I haven't gotten very far in 1, 2, or Frontier because the game mechanics are more.... strict? RP is needed for EVERYTHING, even attacking, and you lose health if you try to attack without it and its really hard to come by unless you pour hours into growing crops all over the world, which isnt fun for me. 3 & 4 spoiled me because RP is a lot easier to come by and I'm a filthy casual. This is an example of older game mechanics making it hard for me to go back and enjoy them.

so b/c I've played Resident Evil 6 and Final Fantasy 13,there's no need for me to play the older games right? and as for Zelda, when I first played ocarina of time, it just felt like a watered down version of twilight princess, so going by this, there wouldn't have been a need for me to play oot at all, right?
[by the way the RE and FF example was hypothetical, I have indeed played the older games]
RE, FF and Zelda are examples of games where the newser ones in the series are actually different. Though FF and RE are little samey at times but still worthy playing the older games.
It's things like CoD, Dynasty Warriors, many sports games etc etc that you don't need to play the older games as they are just the same thing.

Though Dynasty Warriors 9 is a totally different thing. 1 is not worth playing, 2-8 are the same thing basically, so just buy 8 (Xtreme legends complete) and 9. 9 does not replace 8 as it's a totally different core experience. I will keep 8 after I get 9.

PS. Not sure if you're serious or not so I'll guess you are.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
PS. Not sure if you're serious or not so I'll guess you are.
i was only serious about ocarina feeling like a watered down twilight princess, everything else was hypothetical for you to expand on your thoughts a bit more [hell,I never even played FF13]
yeah i know when it comes to the likes of sports games and such, its kinda pointless to play the older ones, but i was mainly talking about those franchises that do indeed offer different experiences to a degree on older titles, and whether or not you guys would go back and play those

i was only serious about ocarina feeling like a watered down twilight princess, everything else was hypothetical for you to expand on your thoughts a bit more [hell,I never even played FF13]
yeah i know when it comes to the likes of sports games and such, its kinda pointless to play the older ones, but i was mainly talking about those franchises that do indeed offer different experiences to a degree on older titles, and whether or not you guys would go back and play those
Looks like we are in total agreement here.

NintendoCN

Team Captain
I always seem to go back to Fire Emblem 6 when a new game comes out for FE to see what changed from back then, makes me feel like the games are still changing, keeps me engaged.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
I replay older Zelda games just because they are good.

There aren't many series' I've gotten into over my short gaming life

SpiteChaotic

The lazy Chaos Bringer
It really depends on the game series and the availability. I'm not one for pirating games so that one isn't really an option for me. I like going back to the old games I've played in a series like KH1. Though sometimes they feel a bit ... stiff in comparison at times. No matter what I love going back to Kirby superstar no matter what new kirby game there is.

Sometimes I go back to an old wrestling game only cause i still have so much save data for it. Just no point going back to ones that are so archaic with controls and options. Though Smash 64 is still a fun with a group of friends for basic old fun and the stupid things you can do in it.

Any who if a older game in a series is japenese exclusive I'm not gonna be ale to try it cause I can't read the stuff even if I'm willing to pirate it. Though if given the chance I would love to check out older games for the story and to see how well the newer games evolved from it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom