• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do you visit older entries in a series?

MW7

I discovered Professor Layton with the Unwound Future which is the third game. I went back and bought the two games before that as well as the fourth game. I don't think I've ever purchased a console simply to play older games in a series though.

Of course I did go back to play older Zelda games. My first Zelda was Link's Awakening. I played Zelda 1 and 2 on the Collector's Edition and bought ALTTP on SNES (which my family always had but somehow didn't have ALTTP). I played the Mario series in order of release kind of (we had Mario Bros 1 and 3 growing up). Metroid I'm just now discovering with Metroid from the 3ds Ambassador Program and Super Metroid from the SNES Classic.

One other example would be Castlevania. I played Circle of the Moon on GBA and bought a Konami collection for Xbox 360 solely to play Symphony of the Night. I plan on playing Castlevania IV on the Super SNES Classic and will play Castlevanias 1 and 2 when the NES Classic is re-released next summer.

Kirino

Tatakae
I always like to experience the history of games I've enjoyed, and I don't see why you should want to deprive yourself of more of a good thing simply because the games are older. Most of my favorite series I've started with fairly recent installments and only later ended up playing the older ones, which I often enjoyed just as much, if not more. I started Final Fantasy with FFXIII, for example, and Zelda with Twilight Princess, and have sinced played nearly every game of both series. More recently, I've been looking to play the older Persona games after thoroughly enjoying 5, but I've been having difficulty getting the right consoles.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
It depends on the series I get into, I think. If the games are very different from one another, like in the Zelda series, then some investigation would be needed, but I think I'd be more willing to try older games because you just never know what would pop out for you.

But if the games are more of the same but with graphical/mechanical overhaul, then I see little reason to look back. For instance was Mario Kart 8 my first venture into that series. I did check out a couple of the more recent games in the series, but I would never bother with the first few simply because they would feel mechanically inferior to my introduction to the series.

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
There's definitely times when older entries are better, so yeah. I might also occasionally play series that interest me in release order, but I'd have to know plenty about them beforehand or be really sure that they interest me. That last thing I don't do very often but it's how I got into MGS, so at least that one time it was worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom