• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do You Think the First Darksiders is Basically a Zelda Game?

Mases

Lord of the Flies
Administrator
Site Staff
It has a lot of Zelda elements, but it is also very distinct... I would say that the actual dungeons seem very Zelda-like. They follow the Zelda dungeon formula. You go through the dungeon, fight some enemies, solve some puzzles, fight a mini-boss, and eventually you'll get the dungeon item. Once you get the dungeon item, you can use that to solve further puzzles and perhaps fight a second mini-boss. Eventually you'll find yourself at the dungeon boss and you need to use the dungeon item to beat him.

Other Zelda Comparisons...

1. Story follows a Zelda-arch of... you get your main mission and need to collect '4 of a particular item'... which sets you off a path for the first 4 dungeons.

2. Each boss defeated, you increase your life by one full life container. (You get their literal heart as well).

3. You can get 1/4 Life and Wrath shards. Similar to Pieces of Heart and they are scattered throughout the overworld.

4. It is a central overworld that initially is closed off. However, as you get new items, you can reach more territories.

5. There is a 'fetch quest' of sorts that is Zelda-like towards the end of the game, where War needs to go and collect pieces of a larger item.

6. You learn that your ordinary sword cannot defeat the main evil enemy... but you need to reforge a stronger blade.

7. As a Horsemen... you have a Horse. There is sword combat on the horse.

There are other smaller 'Zelda-like' elements. An example is there is a small 'chime' when you solve a puzzle that is very Zelda-like. As you can see though, there are a lot of Zelda-like elements.

Didn't the creators claim that they wanted to eradicate Zelda comparisons with Darksiders II, also stating they loved the Zelda series but would rather see Darksiders stand out as it's own series rather than a gorier version of a pre-existing one.

I heard people saying that the first darksiders is a Zelda game,what do you think?

I would have to say no.
Darksiders does have some similarities, but not enough to be called a Zelda game.
Zelda is not hack n slash.
The story is no where near any Zelda game.
The puzzles are also unlike any Zelda puzzle.

Darksiders is like a more mature Zelda. Also, with Death especially in the forthcoming sequel, the protagonist is a fast moving and deadly killer badass-just the way I like it. Honestly, I think a recent quote I read regarding Darksiders sums up the franchise best, "Darksiders may not have the fanbase of Zelda but it certainly has larger frequency". Keep it coming, Vigil. Soon you'll have a new sales correspondent in the form of Mases Hagopian!
ò_ó

Kuddlesnot

100% Video Creator
Didn't the creators claim that they wanted to eradicate Zelda comparisons with Darksiders II, also stating they loved the Zelda series but would rather see Darksiders stand out as it's own series rather than a gorier version of a pre-existing one.

In context, the rest of the statement says because they want to be compared to Darksiders 1, so Darksiders II can stand out on his own, as you said. He is not saying it isn't like Zelda anymore.

MiniMouseofPyru

The Notorious M.O.P.
I'd have to say no, the two games have similarities, but that's it. They aren't the same, they are both unique in a different way.

i think darksiders is much like zelda but it is its own unique game. i hope that they don't change the game much in darksiders 2 in their attempt to stop comparisons. in my opinion darksiders 1 is a mixture of god of war and zelda.

Mrflamexd3

Wind Waker!
A lot of games have a Zelda type style. Darksiders may be the one that shows it the most but still. I would say that if your looking for a 3D Zelda game on the PS3/Xbox 360 then Darksiders is the way to go.

Kuddlesnot

100% Video Creator
A lot of games have a Zelda type style. Darksiders may be the one that shows it the most but still. I would say that if your looking for a 3D Zelda game on the PS3/Xbox 360 then Darksiders is the way to go.

This is a good point. You have to specify what sort of zelda game. "The Binding of Isaac" for example, is very much like the original NES Legend of Zelda.

Akuhime-sama

What's Life Without Adult Humor?
I really don't see it.
I see it as a God Of War game, or like Dante's Inferno.

I really don't feel like its anything like Zelda....

The only connection I can see, is the horse, and the health... the health is like Heart Pieces, and ...yeah, you have a stupid horse.
(Trust me, Epona is a dumb horse... many times, she either won't jump for you, or she'll stop for no reason)
...Though she's much better to control in Twilight Princess

And I have had some problems with Ruin, too. Like that time I glitched, and ended up underneath the world layering...
(I was just running around in the desert area, with my horse, and I fell through the floor when I dismounted) o_O
I then fell into a long drop of nothingness, and then it acted as if I landed in water, but there was nothing but dark blue screen for miles.
So I swam... and swam... and eventually dropped again, into an infinite void and had to shut the game off. >.>

Kuddlesnot

100% Video Creator
How about the dungeon structure? Finding an item then completing the dungeon then the boss with it? The mini-boss? The Abyssal Chain = The Hookshot? Without a doubt the combat is different, but the world structure and exploration is essentially the same. Down to the "Puzzle completed!" noise and locking and unlocking doors around dungeon puzzles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom