• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do You Read Spoilers?

When I see spoilers, I...

• Read and savor every bit of news.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Run screaming in the opposite direction.

• Feel strongly about some things, but not all.

• Am pretty neutral. I don't seek them out or avoid them in any case.

• Total voters

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
What's your take on spoilers (any media)? Do you seek them out and read all you can get? Do you avoid them at all costs? Somewhere in between?

I will read most spoilers - for example, I watch Glee, but still seek out the songs that will be sung each week and what guest stars will be appearing. This is in part because I've learned that the kind of spoilers I seek won't affect my enjoyment of the show, however.

I've also read spoilers for things I'm not actually watching at the time, thinking "I'll never actually watch this" - which has actually backfired as many as ten years later when I then started watching a series. At least for me, I've learned to never say never. :right:

There are occasions I will avoid spoilers, though - like with the 7th Harry Potter book. I wanted to remain completely spoiler-free for it (and succeeded). I'm also going to try to balance my Skyward Sword news, too. Right now I'm reading updates but when it's close to being released, I'll be avoiding reviews.

You?

DuckNoises

Gone (Wind) Fishin'
I always avoid spoilers as best I can, with absolutely no exceptions. I personally feel that spoilers ruin the entire experience of something, particularly in anything story-driven. Regardless of whether or not the story or plot is the primary component of the medium or object itself, every element of any medium is composed of several different factors, and modifying one of the factors ultimately causes a chain reaction in every other factor.

Personally, I find intentionally revealing spoilers to be entirely unnecessary and rather inconsiderate. The only time spoilers are necessary is when they are used to demonstrate a point to an individual who also knows and acknowledges said spoilers; if the information you provide to make a point to someone spoils an element of something, then the point you have made is irrelevant, considering that person does not know the relevance of the spoiler in question to the point you are making.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
I run. I hate spoilers of any kind.The only thing I want to know is the title so I know what game to buy. I don't want to know who the main character is, what his favorite catch phrase is. Who the villain is. Who the princess is. What color clothing the guy is wearing. I don't want to know what happens when you first turn the game on.

I do not want to know ANYTHING about a game I'm about to buy. Even a small detail told can ruin a moment for me. I have certain reactions when I learn things in the game, and those reactions are ruined when I find them out before I play.
NO SPOILERS FOR ME THANK YOU!

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
Personally, I find intentionally revealing spoilers to be entirely unnecessary and rather inconsiderate. The only time spoilers are necessary is when they are used to demonstrate a point to an individual who also knows and acknowledges said spoilers; if the information you provide to make a point to someone spoils an element of something, then the point you have made is irrelevant, considering that person does not know the relevance of the spoiler in question to the point you are making.

Oh, I agree about intentionally revealing spoilers. I've done it accidentally before, which I've always felt bad about, but I try to warn whenever possible. I should clarify that I was thinking of "official" spoilers - things posted on entertainment sites, or news posts like on ZD where you can see the spoiler warning before following the "read more" link.

Lady_Yuna

GoodNight SunShine!
I <3 spoilers! I wish I could avoid them, but I can't. So far, I've read spoilers for my soap operas, TV reality shows, anime, and even on certain video games. For example: I remember watching someone play Final Fantasy XIII on a livestream in Japanese last December. I knew it was going to be released soon and I promised myself I wouldn't watch it, but after I "accidentally" stumbled across a few cut scenes I had to... It was fun chatting with other people who watched it with me though!:lol: Thank goodness I was on Christmas Break at the time because I lost a lot of sleep lulz. I still got the game regardless when they released the English version. But, anyway spoilers can be a good thing. Obviously, they can either spoil some things for you or they can save you time from watching an episode or buying a videogame..... At least that's how I see it.

~Ahhh spoilers! You can't get enough of them. <3

Last edited:

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
I try to avoid spoilers for the most part, but it actually really depends on the media and content in question. I will try to avoid any spoilers involving plot or story in new video games or movies that I really want to play or see since that would ruin the experience of living out the story in the game or watching it unfold in the movie. That doesn't mean I can always avoid them, especially in games, since I have this odd habit of looking up gameplay related info or reading walkthroughs for parts I've already completed (idk why), which often ends up spoiling something or another, and annoying as it is I don't do everything in my power to avoid spoilers because small things every once in a while like that doesn't make much a difference to the overall experience.

As far as people revealing spoilers go, well I'm the kind of person that tends to wait a while before trying any new games or watching any shows or whatnot, meaning by the time I get around to it the details are so old they are no longer even considered spoilers anymore, so I can't blame them for talking about it; it's my fault for seeking it out XD I find that with newer releases, most people have the courtesy of having spoiler tags, and I've never had someone intentionally reveal a spoiler for something new that I was trying to experience. I may have done it once or twice by accident, but for the most part I know better and can restrict myself.

Well, it actually depends on what the spoilers are for. Like, if it is for a book that I am dying to read and such, I will most-likely steer myself away from the spoilers no matter how tempted I am to read them. For things such as that, I like to be surprised by the ending, plot twists, and whatnot.

If it is something, such as a game that I will probably never get to play, I wouldn't mind the spoilers, so I at least can still know what people are talking about. Harry Potter is an example of me spoiling the storyline. After the third book, I pretty much got bored of the series, in the reading aspect, so I pretty much just filled myself in on the important events, then read the last few chapters of the "Deathly Hallows".

But there are also circumstances as to where I have the game/book/thing, but am either too lazy to finish, or just want to know what will happen... sometimes I regret reading the spoilers, but I suppose that can happen. I would say most of the time, I am attracted to reading them, just so I can have that knowledge for whatever I could do with a plotline of a story...

Beeker

Wild Card
I'm actually pretty neutral when it comes to spoilers. Like most have already said, it usually depends on the media/book/game. I'll admit though, sometimes when I read a book, I get curious and peek through the pages I still have to read, then start reading them.:sweat:

Most of the time though, I let spoilers pass, unless they're extremely important or part of something I'm really into.

Ghosi

Schmetterling
Well I have to agree with Beeker. I am sooo curious I have to know the truth sometimes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom