• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do You Play Cards?

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Champion
Uhh isnt that how you use the cards???
It refers to a variation of poker called Texas Hold 'Em.

Each player is dealt two cards, and everyone uses five table cards to make a hand in poker.

One person is the "dealer", another is the small blind, and the big blind, and after the two held cards are dealt to each player, the first round of betting starts.

Once the pot is settled and even, the first three table cards are dealt face up on the table, called the Flop. Another round of betting starts.

Once the pot is settled and even, another card is dealt face up on the table, called the Turn. Another round of betting starts.

Once the pot is settled and even, the final card is dealt face up on the table, called the River. The final round of betting starts, and whoever wins or has the best hand wins all of it.

Now, there's no limit to how high you can bet in Texas Hold 'Em, so you can go all in on a bet during any of the rounds of betting.

And if any of you were ever curious what the "hands" are in poker and what beats what, here you go. Bear in mind each hand can be beaten by a same hand of a higher value, except a royal flush.
  • One Pair: One pair is simply two cards of the same value, such as having two kings in your hand. A pair can beat high card.
  • Two Pair: You have two pairs in your hand. Two pair can beat high card, and pairs.
  • Three-Of-A-Kind: You have three cards of the same value. Three-of-a-kind beats two pair, pair, and high card.
  • Straight: You have five cards that are numbered in order, but not necessarily of the same suit. A straight beats three-of-a-kind, two pair, pair, and high card.
  • Flush: You have five cards of the same suit, but not necessarily in order. A flush beats straights, three-of-a-kind, two pair, pair, and high card.
  • Full House: You basically have three-of-a-kind matched with a pair. A full house beats most flushes, all straights, three-of-a-kind, two pair, pair, and high card.
  • Four-Of-A-Kind: You have four cards of the same value. This beats everything except straight flushes and royal flushes.
  • Straight Flush: You have five cards of the same suit, and they're also in order. This beats everything except the royal flush.
  • Royal Flush: This is A-K-Q-J-10 all of the same suit. You cannot get a better hand in poker. This beats everything.
There's also bluffing in poker, and this comes down to being convincing as well as knowing your opponent.

So there is strategy to the game, and you can play mind games to win, but a lot of the time it does just come down to what you have. Bluff all you want, but if I have a royal flush and you have two pair, yet you're betting like you have a royal flush, I'm going to call your bluff.

Occasionally I'll deal myself a couple rounds of Solitaire when I'm bored, plus Uno sometimes and there's a few game we play a lot at like family gatherings like Unstable Unicorns, Exploding Kittens and some others. I really like the Pokemon TCG and Yugioh as well but I don't really have anyone to play those with unfortunately so I don't get to play nearly as often as I'd like.

NastyLesley

Goth catboy thingy
I don't play cards as often as I used to, though mostly because I don't have any friends nearby to play with. My father taught me quite a few games and I used to play with him all the time. I'm a poker man myself, though I also play blackjack and eights. As far as poker goes, my games of choice are Texas hold 'em, Omaha and five-card draw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom