• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do You Pay Attention To the Lyrics in Songs?

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
I pay extremely close attention to the lyrics since the majority of English songs I enjoy listening to the most are those emotional ballads thus making the lyrics a rather important feature. Without them, the overall emotional impact that the artist is trying to get across with the song would simply be lost.

Conversely, I think a song needs to have great backing music to go with said lyrics. The lyrics and the music are essentially two halves of a whole. The lyrics could be the most fantastically rhymed, poetical lyrics ever created but if the music that they are set to is sub-par, then I lose interest. One has to compliment the other for a song to work for me. This is one of the reasons why I rarely listen to dance music. The constant bass line mixed with those synthesizer sounds is great to listen to once in a while but I can't stand "lyric-less" songs.

(I say "lyric-less" because I enjoy orchestrated music and am trying to differentiate between the two. I think orchestrated music is beautifully intricate to listen to. The way all the individual parts come together to create the whole is a feat all in of its own. )

For me, it depends on who it is.

I'm sort of like this. When I listen to bands like The Who I listen to both the lyrics and the drumming, the drumming in particular since Keith Moon is one of my favourite drummers. Blind Guardian are a band where I try to listen to everything because their songs tell amazing stories and the music is just as important as the lyrics. The Beatles do have good music, but it's really simple in comparison to the rest of my library so I listen out for the lyrics.

Linknerd09

Luigi Fan
In the song I listen to is in a different language, I pay attention carefully and look at the lyrics and learn them. The English lyrics, I semi-pay attention to them, but I'll probably get the lyrics right.

Deeds

no text
If I'm listening to something on the radio, which is rarely, I wouldn't listen to the lyrics because I know it's going to be some generic pop rubbish. (In my opinion). If I'm listening to my iPod or my music libary in general, I'll always listen to the lyrics and think about them. Every single time you listen to a song, you can break down every single lyric and interpret in so many ways. That is, of course, if the artist you're listening to is an actual song-writer.

I love listening to the lyrics of old thrash metal music. For some jacked up reason, whenever i'm breaking my back to understand the lyrics, I simply cannot understand them, but when i'm just sitting there relaxing with music on, my brain clicks and computes the lyrics, even though the singers are screaming, snarling, and yelling etc.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Not really. Most songs I like is because of the sound and when I listen more often to them I'll hear the lyrics and what they're singing. I'll never forget when I first heard The bad Touch - Bloodhound Gang. Great catchy song but the lyrics...... :lol:

ThePurpleKnight

ThePurpleKnightmare
I never used to, I usually don't care about the lyrics but I like them there than not, but recently I found a song that I would really really like but I hate some of it's lyrics, it's called Right Now, by some band I never heard of, SK-71 or something.

Igos du Ikana

Maldorok
I mostly pay attention to how a song sounds rather than it's lyrics. My hearing must not be good at times because sometimes I can't even tell for sure what the words are. When I do pay attention to the lyrics, I often find my attention drifting to the sound anyway, which is usually of more interest to me. As a result, my taste in music can be embarrassing because I often pay attention to sound at the expense of the message behind it. For example I like a song for it's catchy beat and then later I'm embarrassed to find out it's about promoting child molestation or whatever.

First off; you listen to songs that promote child molestation? Hmm, that seems a bit...weird. To each his own I guess.

Anyways, I do pay attention to lyrics in a song, but I don't think of it as "a deep and personal journey" for the artist. I've always just found lyrics to be words that sound good with a song. Case in point, my favorite song, Prison Sex. I don't see the song as a personal journey for Maynard, I just like the music.

Hanyou

didn't build that
As many others have said, it depends on the song.

Take Yes. You get "word salad" lyrics like this for Close to the Edge:

Sudden problems shouldn't take away the startled memory.
All in all, the journey takes you all the way.
As apart from any reality that you've ever seen and known.
Guessing problems only to deceive the mention,
Passing paths that climb halfway into the void.
As we cross from side to side, we hear the total mass retain.

These lyrics don't mean anything, and they look terrible on their own, but in the context of the song--the complex instrumentation and beautiful melodies--they work, which makes them good lyrics. Jon Anderson's voice is yet another instrument in this song, and it's all about the sound. I have paid attention to the lyrics, but not in a conventional way.

On the other hand, you also have concept albums or songs with meaning. Kamelot's Epica, and its first song, Center of the Universe, is a very good example:

If the war by heavens gate released desire
In the line of fire someone must have known
That a human heart demands to be admired
Cause in the Center of the Universe
We are all alone

The words are sung clearly, so they're easy to understand, but they're also part of the point. This song helps set up a story that will span two albums and nearly two hours. Epica and The Black Halo, based principally on Goethe's Faust, are about a seeker of knowledge who makes a deal with the devil, and the tragedy that follows, as well as the lessons he learns.

Each song is a chapter in the story, and it covers themes which later recur. It's impossible to appreciate the scope of this work without knowing the lyrics. And why would you want to? They're damn good.

So lyrics should always have a point. I will like to say that while sometimes I don't mind just appreciating the "sound" of lyrics, objectionable themes--like harming innocent people or celebrating immoral lifestyles--prevent me from listening to a song. I cannot be entertained by a song that encourages promiscuity or a wanton disregard for virtue and goodness.

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
As I like to sing along to songs I like, yes. This is to the chagrin of others, as I was not blessed with angelic tone.

Not Take Mirror

Sage of Ice
First off; you listen to songs that promote child molestation? Hmm, that seems a bit...weird. To each his own I guess.

Anyways, I do pay attention to lyrics in a song, but I don't think of it as "a deep and personal journey" for the artist. I've always just found lyrics to be words that sound good with a song. Case in point, my favorite song, Prison Sex. I don't see the song as a personal journey for Maynard, I just like the music.

Not intentionally. That was just a bad example.

Burning Beast

Go to Hell 4 Heavens Sake
Yeah I do, a lot of songs I listen too the first time to see if I like how it just SOUNDS. Then If it is deemed worthy I'll try to memorize the lyrics. So yeah I'd say I pay attention to the lyrics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom