• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do you expect Zelda Switch to be bigger than BotW?

PalaeoJoe

The Diplomatic Dinosaur
Amy Lu Minati and Deus I disagree that the would be able to pull of/should try, to make Zelda a modern or futuristic setting (even for just one day). I don't think they would be able do it in such a way that would fit the series. Don't get me wrong, I think steampunk should be explored more, especially in the adult time line after Spirit Tracks. And I like the use of some advanced technology, but it should not be something that has a huge impact on the type of world you explore. Zelda should (and I think always will) have a medieval fantasy setting. I know that with such a fantasy settings you can push the boundary of what you would see in a "medieval kingdom" (advanced tech peppered in where appropriate) but futuristic I don't think can work here as a whole. Steampunk I think could be integrated into such a setting as Hyrule to a large degree and still fit well. But futurism and especially modernism would not.

Now there is the argument that: Final Fantasy began as a medieval fantasy series and often still maintained it's core aesthetic feel. And that is mostly true, I think though that FF both evolved it's 'core aesthetic feel' to greater degree and began with an aesthetic that was more open to interpretation and (tech-)diversity. So such radical changes in the setting fit the spirit of FF. While I do think Zelda can also have radical changes in it's stetting and themes, but they should go about it in different ways then FF did.
I have some more specific ideas about these "radical changes" that can be done with tLoZ, but before I give any I will wait for a rebuttal from one or both of you.

How much bigger can a video game realistically get without daunting travel?

I guess the next step is to break out Hyrule into massive continents that Link will have to traverse by boat. Think WW, but with continents (technically islands because a 25 million square km landmass is not going to happen). You have your main Hyrule continent with all its land marks, then you have other lands with their own habitats, cultures, temples and features. That would be one big game! I guess Minecraft still beats it.

How much bigger can a video game realistically get without daunting travel?

I guess the next step is to break out Hyrule into massive continents that Link will have to traverse by boat. Think WW, but with continents (technically islands because a 25 million square km landmass is not going to happen). You have your main Hyrule continent with all its land marks, then you have other lands with their own habitats, cultures, temples and features. That would be one big game! I guess Minecraft still beats it.

We could go to a continent that has the traditional villains (all the blins) with their own society failing due to a lack of suitable farmland explaining their invasions.

Reactions: Aku

Aku

We could go to a continent that has the traditional villains (all the blins) with their own society failing due to a lack of suitable farmland explaining their invasions.
Maybe this might be something they do in the next Zelda? If they want to go a bit bigger, they could giving some of the enemies (like the 'Blins) a reason why they are so war-like. Plus we might even get to see some girl 'Blins! Unless they live super long or they reproduce asexually (unlikely since the 'Blins appear to be male) then there has to be female Blins to reproduce with or they'd eventually just die out. Part of me thinks that the 'present day' Blins are mainly hunting parties that camp out or patrol sentries over a particular territory, their real main groups are somewhere beyond Hyrule and are several days away by horse.

It's possible if they do this in the next game that it could be shown why they align with Ganon or if it's just a particular group/tribe.

The only thing that seems to contradict my ideas here are that the Blins (at least in BOTW) appear to be created by the cast off globs of CG goo, meaning that they might simply be periodically 'generated' whenever their numbers run low.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Maybe this might be something they do in the next Zelda? If they want to go a bit bigger, they could giving some of the enemies (like the 'Blins) a reason why they are so war-like. Plus we might even get to see some girl 'Blins! Unless they live super long or they reproduce asexually (unlikely since the 'Blins appear to be male) then there has to be female Blins to reproduce with or they'd eventually just die out. Part of me thinks that the 'present day' Blins are mainly hunting parties that camp out or patrol sentries over a particular territory, their real main groups are somewhere beyond Hyrule and are several days away by horse.

It's possible if they do this in the next game that it could be shown why they align with Ganon or if it's just a particular group/tribe.

The only thing that seems to contradict my ideas here are that the Blins (at least in BOTW) appear to be created by the cast off globs of CG goo, meaning that they might simply be periodically 'generated' whenever their numbers run low.

I picture Blins to emerge like Orcs and come from the earth.

PalaeoJoe

The Diplomatic Dinosaur

Tell me, what does a female pig look like? What does a male pig look like? I could ask this question using almost any animal. The reason why I say pig is because the bins typically are based off of pigs in appearance. Unless you live on a pig farm you probably can't tell me, that is because in most species of pigs/hogs the males and females look pretty similar. The blins are probably the same, you can't tell if the one you are fighting is male or female because they probably look and act the same.

Pigs are also important to this conversation because Ganon is a pig demon and as you pointed out the blin's can be summoned by Ganon. I don't know if the blins themselves are demons but they have a deep connection to Ganon/Demise and maybe the demon tribe. So I don't think their aggression is based off of any "legitimate" qualms.

Last edited:

Aku

Well, female pigs (gilts/sows) tend to have multiple sets of teats running down their bellies. Unless they are pregnant or nursing, these tend not to be prominent (as udders.) Males tend to have visible tusks unless they are trimmed regularly, and even male castrated pigs (barrows) will still slowly grow them, but not as fast as a uncastrated male (boar.) Females will have them, but they grow so slowly that it's rare that they will require trimming. (These just barely peek out from the lips.) The males also tend to have large pendulous testicles and a long penis twith a corkscrew tip hat comes out of the penile sheath near the center of the abdomen.

Boars tend to be more masculine in appearance, have a cartilaginous 'shield' around their neck and shoulders, because the males will frequently use their tusks to spar and as a form of defense. They can also use them as an offensive weapon (that can be almost as sharp as a honed blade) which is why pigs with left with long tusks can be quite dangerous. (It's why dogs used in boar hunting wear kevlar vests.)

Wild Boars (like what CG is) tend to be the most wild of all. Covered in coarse grey or brown bristles, they tend to have more prominent tusks (especially the males) and tend to have longer, flatter skulls. Domestic pigs (like what regular Ganon and the Blins seems to be) have a shorter squatter skull, often with a prominent dished face and shorter snout.

Feral Domestic Pigs (such as the Blins) can be aggressive and territorial. Wild Boars tend to flightier, but for some reason, possibly from their domesticated genetics, Ferals tend to be meaner.

All pigs tend to be omnivores. They will eat meat whenever they can get it. Feral pigs or escaped wild boars will kill newborn lambs and calves, or anything weak and sickly enough that they can catch. (Same with Wild Boars in their native lands.)

And all sows tend to be dangerous if they think their piglets are in danger.

This is all from memory, being that pigs are one of my interests. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom