• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do You Believe in Fate?

To quote a well known film;

"Do you believe in fate?"
"No... I don't like the idea that I'm not in control of my own life."

I completely share the same opinion, i dont like fate, i don't put stock in Karma or anything like that because i want to be the one responsible for myself.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Could you elaborate on this? I don't get how time travel plays in to all of this.
Well, I say time travel has a part to play because, if we COULD go down XYZ paths, I'm sure we certainly would. But as it is, whatever we do now is locked away in a time long ago; our destinies are essentially sealed. Things aren't a matter of "what if"; we can't change anything in the past (yet?) due to lack of time travel and thus there is no "if" to factor in. Things are a matter of "what am" in that we can do things to affect and effect the ever-fleeting present, but everything we do again is unchangeable.

There are things called designer babies; however that's mostly for the aesthetics of the child (hair color, eye color, etc.). So geneticists can't ensure that all babies are going to be free from genetic-based illnesses, or have optimal traits... yet. However, I'm confident that with more extensive research geneticists will be able to achieve this scientific marvel (by the way, I suggest watching the movie Gattaca, a great film that pictures a world where what I'm discussing is available to your average soon-to-be parents).
Off topic but I /loved/ Gattaca. <3

In terms of how we can't control the out-come of babies now, that all has to do with the study of Genetics and how traits are passed down through your offspring; not some predestined, supernatural force.

What causes those traits to be pushed from parents to offspring? Why don't I have blue eyes - a trait my ancestors had - rather than the brown I have now? Why don't I have a fair complexion instead of this darker one I hold? Surely you could call it "random select" and go about your business, or say "oh it's genetics honey", but I still argue that some greater force had it marked that I would be dark-skinned and brown-eyed instead of blue eyed and light-skinned. In the end, I can't change who I am (without time travel anyway), and that's gotta do something with fate.

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
Don't think it matters either way so I don't really think about it a lot. I mean, if it exists, great, some people are fated to believe in fate, some people are fated to not believe in fate, whatever category I fall into is out of my control so why think about it? If it does not exist, great, why think about it?

However, when I DO think about it, I usually come to this conclusion: what is fate but simply the natural phenomenon arising from laws of probability and math =O

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
Until I see some compelling evidence to the contrary, I'm going to assume my decisions have an influence on my future and that free will is not an illusion. To assume that my life scripted due to of destiny or grand plan is rather fool-hearty. The fact that we exist at all is some sort of giant cosmic miracle. Best make the most of the opportunity.

I do not believe in fate, even if you don't know exactly whats going to happen in life it's up to you to guide your life in the right direction, not fate.

I believe in fate, I also believe things happen for a reason. I also believe that there's people in our lives for a reason, rather to build you up or tear you down. Each of them helps build certain characters in yourself, and the ability to be strong or weak. The things that happen and the people you meet, in the end will get you where your suppose to be.

that's what's I was raised on, but it was also my choice to believe it. I've been through countless times of being so close to homeless, and I mean with in just a couple days of it. My mom and I, or my roommate when I left home, would pray and keep faith that something would turn up. And in the end before the worse, things always turned out the best.

when I was 8, I had been told I couldn't have kids. I had a lot of medical problems, and still do. When I was 6, I had decided I wanted to adopt a child, and when I was told that I couldn't have my own I was ok with it just for the fact I had already planned adoption. So I grew up with that decision just fine. Well when I tried to have my first intimate time with my husband, we found out something was wrong down below. Turns out I need reconstructive surgery, which we have scheduled May of this year. But we also found out from my ob/gyn that it is very possible for me to have a child of my own. Which in the last few years has been something I really wanted.
So what I believe here, is that had I not waited and begun sexual activities before then I may have ended up a mom to young. Yes I would've had the surgery before now and not had to suffer through the pain I'm constantly in, but being a young mom is not my idea of a good thing. (although I know plenty of young moms who have done good with their lives since and proud to say they're my best friend.) I'm glad I chose to wait, though I had plenty of times I could've and almost gave in, and be with the man I'm with today. Fate brought us together I believe. To be with someone who's understanding, caring and patient. We have been together almost 4 years now, married for almost a year (Feb. 19th is our anniversary) through all this he has been patient and loving, and staying by my side through this all even though we can't have a intimate relationship till I have that surgery. When most guys I guys I know, wouldn't wait around for it.
all that and more it was has kept my faith in believing things happen for a reason. That God has set a plan for us in life. We do make are own choices, but in the end we find that path he wanted us to be on.

Last edited:

Draymorath

Destroyer of Destruction
To a certain degree. I mean, I don't know about our entire lives being predestined, but there have been some things that happened that just seemed too perfect for a certain situation. For example: In my Composition class I had to write an embarrassing story from my life. I couldn't think of anything. Later that day, something happened that gave me the perfect thing to write about. I was amazed that things would actually work out so well.

EeveeChan

Is FINALLY out of school!
I do not believe it fate. Fate is everything is already decided for you ever since you were born. That is very unfair. For example, what if the most generous, purest, kindest person you ever met was going to be a brutal killer at the age of 20. That means no matter what this person did or how nice this person was, he would be a murderer. That, in my opinion, is very unlikely to happen, which is why I don't believe in fate.

I do, however, believe in karma, but that's another topic to post about

Snoober

P O K E M O N M A S T E R
I'm a Christian... Its the little things that make me know someone up there is watching over us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom