• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do walkthroughs take the fun out of the series?

Kingwobbly

Kingwu.
I don't think so, it takes the fun out of it if you only follow the walkthrough, but if you only use it when you're stuck it's fine. I personally try to avid them because I like figuring things out on my own better.

I don't love using them, but I agree with @Mercedes, sometimes you get stuck and your enjoyment of the game plummets. Getting a hint helps move the pace along without causing too much frustration. When I was younger, I wouldn't mind wasting an afternoon/night/day on a dungeon, but when I get a chance to play now I need to make the most of it.

Sheik

:the:
This is where you have to ask yourself the question: Is the pleasure and satisfaction of finally figuring out how to progress worth the hours of the pain of being stuck? I think that sometimes, going to a walkthrough is the better option for your enjoyment of the game.

SavageWizzrobe

Eating Link since 1987
Not really, unless you use a walkthrough for most of the game. I say this because there is some satisfaction in being able to figure things out for yourself. I only use a walkthrough if I am seriously stuck, and that doesn't happen to me too often.

If you are absolutely stuck then a walkthrough can make all the difference in the world, you gave it a good shot and your enjoyment goes bye-bye. I only use them when I need them, in fact I need to bust out a walkthrough and get myself through the Crown Dungeon, I'm sick of being in there.

Well you dont HAVE to watch walkthroughs so if you watch one for a game you plan to play then its your fault.

However, there are plenty of games on consoles i don't own that i've wanted to play so walkthroughs to get the whole story and see the content is the next bst thing so they aren't all bad. Plus, sometimes you really need part of a walkthrough if you get really stuck.

To me, walkthroughs are for those moments where I don't really have the time to do trial and error experiments. Going blindly and figuring out what to do is fun and challenging but there's some points where if I don't use a walkthrough, I'm gonna be doing that stuff for one hell of a long time. With plenty of games to play and things to do outside the virtual world, I can't afford to stay in one part of the game for a very long time.

Plus, there's nothing wrong with using a walkthrough. It can help you backtrack and get things you've missed while progressing along the game, especially those notorious "missed the item? too bad, it's gone forever" items. I avoid walkthroughs whenever possible but I know for a fact when it comes to stuff like pieces of hearts or sidequests, I will use a walkthrough because it saves me the pain of having to try and find them, only to end up failing.

PokaLink

Pokalink the avaricious
My personal opinion, is yes. I have this opinion for movies, anime, and Video Games. I find a game or show much more enjoyable when you experience it first hand, when you're along for the ride. What's the point in difficult puzzles if you just learn how to do them from someone else? It's like saying cheating on a test is learning.

But that's just like, my opinion, ya' know?

Mudora

Innocent but not fearful.
In my opinion, it does ruin the game. One characteristic I personally love about the Zelda series is its complex puzzles and layouts, more so in the older games compared to the newer ones. It wouldn't be any fun to just look up the answer, especially when solving it for yourself is part of the enjoyment. I guess I'm just stubborn and refuse to move forward until I've figured it out for myself!

TheRockinStallion

If I'm not back in 15 minutes, just wait longer!
Didn't we cover that already? I'M A DUDE!
While the fun mostly lies in the process of figuring out a dungeon or sidequest, it tends to get a tad frustrating when you walk past the one chest you need 50 times because you didn't know you need the lense of truth to see it... or something like that. That takes more fun out of it than just getting a little hint from a walkthrough. Although, using it for every little puzzle, dungeon, or sidequest does pretty much defeat the whole purpose of playing the game.

Yes, but there are a few poorly designed heart pieces that basically require it. I would say a few in MM are that way, and I can think of 4 between the oracle games that are completely RNG based, and there may be no way of knowing unless you get lucky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom