• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do the Names of Zelda Games Have No Meaning to the Game

Thejerwaker99

6th lokomo sage
by the games i mean these GAMES
ALTTP
has nothing to with the past
MM
better if know as Links masky Journey
ST
the tracks have no spirits
those are the games that have no meaning to their name

blackenedktulu

Fierce Deity
I get what you're saying, but I don't understand why you think so... I haven't played Alttp, so I can't comment on that.

Majora's Mask - The game is about Link trying to get back Majora's mask from the skull kid...

Spirit Tracks - You have Princess Zelda's spirit guiding you, and you use a train as your main mode of transport.

So the games titles are based on the game, and they are not some unrelated random phrase.

pupairo12

Skyward Sword Anticipator
I think Alltp was called Triforce of the Gods in Japan, which would make since. And the Link is the story of the Imprisoning War.

SuperGleeok64

For the Greater Good.
I don't understand the ALttP either and don't they call the tracks Spirit tracks several times & they were created to seal whats-his-name in the Tower of Spirits right? (Sorry if I fail my ST facts I haven't played it in the longest time)

Djinn

and Tonic
I got the idea that A Link to the Past referred to the past history of Hyrule which is a constant theme throughout the game. First in the instruction manual you hear about the long forgotten imprisoning war that removed Ganon from Hyrule. Then Link has to get the ancient Master Sword from it's location, while Ganon is trying to undo the sage's seal from centuries earlier. Link uses the Book of Mudora to translate the ancient Hylian relics and marker all over the country. Each time you rescue a maiden they give you a little bit more of the history of Hyrule and the Dark World and every notable NPC in the game has a little bit to say on Hyrule's past and what happened to the Triforce, Ganon, the wise men, and the knights of Hyrule.

Over the course of his quest Link discovers that the old tales of Ganon taking the power of gold for himself was true and he is trying to return to the Light World once more after so many centuries of being sealed away. Meets various people who share the bloodline of the old wise men of the past, and discovers he is the last in the knight's bloodline.

Long ago, there was a family of people who protected the Hylian royal family.

They were called the Knight Family, who kept charge of the Crest of Courage, but when the Seven Sages' seal was carried out, I'm afraid most of them perished in the battle with the demons. The hero is supposed to appear out of that family.
... all right; Link, I shall believe in you. You should obtain the remaining crests.
Also, take this with you.
I give you the treasure that has been handed down in our Sage Family.—Sahasrahla

I am Aginah. I sense something
is happening in the Golden Land
the seven wise men sealed...

This must be an omen of the
Great Cataclysm foretold by
the people of Hylian blood...

Link, because of you, I can
escape from the clutches of
the evil monsters. Thank you!

...Do you know the prophecy of
the Great Cataclysm?
This is the way I heard it...

If a person who has an evil
heart gets the Triforce, a Hero
is destined to appear...

...and he alone must face the
person who began the Great
Cataclysm.—Maiden in Skull Woods

It seemed to me that the entire running theme of the game was uncovering ancient relics and secrets to stop a long forgotten evil from returning to the world of the present day. Linking the sealed enemies and old stories of the past to the present era in Hyrule.

ALTTP
MM
ST

It was called a link to the past because it was the first prequel in the series, "Linking" the fans to the story that happened in the PAST.

Spirit tracks, thats what the tracks were called. Majoras mask? Stop spamming. You no darned well thats the best name they could have came up with.

Im kinda calling troll on this one, except ALttP, thats a legitimate question.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
What? Of course they do. A Link to the Past is a link to the past. It was a prequel to The Legend of Zelda. Majora's Mask, well, there's an evil mask in the game called Majora's Mask. That one makes perfect sense. The Spirit Tracks are the train tracks in the game. That's stated constantly throughout the game, as they're referred to as the Spirit Tracks. Why would you think all this? A Link to the Past I can understand, but Majora's Mask and Spirit Tracks? Look, I'm not trying to be rude here, but did you pay attention to those games?

MidnaOfTheTwili

Link x Zelda
ALTTP
MM
ST

What are you talking about, they make sense! (MM and ST do, I haven't played aLttP though.)
Majora's Mask: The entire game about getting the Majora's Mask from the skull kid. That name makes perfect sense.
Spirit Tracks: The tracks are referred to as the Spirit Tracks throughout the whole game. Makes perfect sense as well.

I think you need to pay more attention when you're playing these games. Sorry if that's rude to say.

blubb

Ash Gala Wonderful!
Well, as far as I know, the orginal title of aLttP was indeed "ゼルダの伝説 神々のトライフォース" ("ZELDA no densetsu: Kamigami no TRIFORCE") which translates to "The Legend of Zelda: The Gods' Triforce" or "The divine Triforce". But back then, the American Nintendo branch apparently had fears that some ultra-prudish groups in the US might freak out if there were a game with the word "God" in it (OMG blasphemy!), so they quickly had to come up with a new name and that's where "A Link to the Past" (obviously an English language pun) comes from.
So the original title does relate to the game because it revolves a lot around the Triforce and it somehow explains how it came into existence.
And it's similar with the other titles:
- The first one was called "The Hyrule Fantasy", that pretty much sums up the game: a fantasy action adventure.
- The second one, "Adventure of Link", also does exactly that.
- The same with "Link's Awaknening", because in the end you wake up and that's the goal of the game.
- Ocarina of Time: Here, a key item in the game is the name giver.
- Majora's Mask: As it has been said before here, it's about returning Majora's Mask, which also happens to be the final boss of the game, to the salesman.
- Wind Waker: Same as with OoT
- Twilight Princess: Referring to your sidekick.
[DS games: Can't comment, haven't played them]

So while some of the titles are indeed a bit cryptic, I think it's good the way it is. Because if you gave away too much in-game information in the title then this would be a huge spoiler. A (slightly exaggerated ;)) example: "The Legend of Zelda: The game in which you beat three dungeons, grow up by time traveling, beat some more dungeons and finally defeat Ganon" (guess which game I'm referring to...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom